How to get more non-Amiga stuff for sale on here?

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Hi all

I love Amibay and I think it is MUCH improved since the migration. However one things that can't be fixed by a software upgrade/server change is the lack of non-Amiga related items for sale on the site.

As 'The Retro Computer Trading Post' I would love to see a larger variety of retro computer / console models for sale on here. My current fetish for Apple Macs is one example where i'd love to meet a friendly seller, with whom it is easy to deal with, get advice on the correct model to buy etc...

How do we go about doing this? Has anyone got any ideas?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Thanks for bringing this up, Chris.

We were kicking around an idea for AmiBay 'ambassadors' last year; these 'AmiBassadors' (just an idea for a name, nothing concrete) would go out and contact other retro computing and console groups and help spread the word about our site.

Maybe it's time that we resurrect the idea and start to do something with it. If you would be interested in helping to contact other retro communities about AmiBay and the services we provide, let us know in this thread, so that we can start to get a team together and co-ordinate activities.

Thanks

Merlin

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Well as the creator of this thread I feel compelled to help, so count me in in any further discussions.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hi all

I love Amibay and I think it is MUCH improved since the migration. However one things that can't be fixed by a software upgrade/server change is the lack of non-Amiga related items for sale on the site.

As 'The Retro Computer Trading Post' I would love to see a larger variety of retro computer / console models for sale on here. My current fetish for Apple Macs is one example where i'd love to meet a friendly seller, with whom it is easy to deal with, get advice on the correct model to buy etc...

How do we go about doing this? Has anyone got any ideas?

I think you raise some valid points, it'd be good to promote the "more than just Amiga" angle of Amibay. Also, what are you looking for Mac-wise? I've been using Macs for a number of years now, and have played with a fair few older models.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
This is something we did try to do early on when we added the sections for different systems, but it was met with limited success at the time. The site was fairly new then though and we had a lot of things still to iron out.

We are now much more mature, with a more robust and easy to understand set of site rules, much better site security and stronger membership checks; plus with the migration now complete, it is a great time to try and approach the various retro communities out there and try to attract them to join Amibay and take an active part.

I know there is one small obstacle in the site name being Ami that could put some communities, such as Atari, off a bit, so it really does need to be stressed when approaching communities that Amibay is a trading site for the whole retro community, no just the Amiga.

I think something else that could help this is in combination with the recently launched site banner/logo design competition, to have some banner designs that reflect different systems, such as C64, ST, Amiga or Mac themed designs. With such designs loading in a random banner rotation at the top of the site, so a different one is shown with each page load (a la pouet.net) it will give the site a much broader appeal to the whole retro community.

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
It shouldn't be too hard to get more Commodore 8-bit ads here. Try advertising a bit on Lemon, comp.sys.cbm, and Denial. Make sure you point out the advantages of AmiBay compared to eBay and regular forums (feedback, seller sets the price, first come first serve, etc).

The heavy Amiga focus of the site will have to be overcome though. Something I've wondered about is why you're putting effort into the general Amiga parts of the forum, when there's already EAB and amiga.org? Why not concentrate on the trading?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The heavy Amiga focus of the site will have to be overcome though. Something I've wondered about is why you're putting effort into the general Amiga parts of the forum, when there's already EAB and amiga.org? Why not concentrate on the trading?

No part of Amibay is Amiga specific. The Ami- prefix to many of the areas of Amibay are in reference to the site name, not the Amiga, and are not Amiga specific. It only seems that way because at the moment the majority of posts in areas such as AmiOracle, Photo Booth, Service bay etc have been from Amiga users. These areas are equally there for users of any platform and system to use to ask questions, post images and projects, or to help others.

The Amiga focus so far is really because most of the staff members and regulars are from an Amiga or Commodore background. We would love to get more Atari, Acorn, Apple, Sinclair, and any other system fans posting more in all of these areas of the site and making it truly cross platform.

While Amibay is a trading site, the members demanding community areas so they were created. Amibay is what the members want. Those not wishing to take part in the community aspect of the site are free to ignore it and just use the site for trading.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Ami is also French for friend.....

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Umm... we hope it is more like "Your friendly bay", rather than ebay being more like "ecommerce bay" which really means "only out to fleece members bay".

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
The Amiga focus so far is really because most of the staff members and regulars are from an Amiga or Commodore background. We would love to get more Atari, Acorn, Apple, Sinclair, and any other system fans posting more in all of these areas of the site and making it truly cross platform.

Might turn the thread off topic, but I remember beeing quite impressed when reading about the Acorn A3000, but where did Acorn go? that I belive was in 1992 or something?

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ mojik

You need to search out the BBC programme 'Micro Men'; it will answer all of your questions about Acorn and also Sinclair....(y)

I think there are links to it on Stairway to Hell, the BBC/Electron forum.

@ all

Thanks for the show of support so far!! Apart from people coming forward to help, some suggestions as to possible forums / groups to approach would also be good. Thinking caps on please!!

@ JuvUK

Alas, we've not had enough interest in the logo competition, so you haven't quite won it yet...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The Archimedes was more advanced than most other systems at the time. Even beating the Amiga in some areas, including the 32bit RISC based ARM CPU (1 clock per instruction), chunky 256 colour mode, decent memory bandwidth, and 8 channel stereo sound, and the barrel shifter which is similar to the Amiga blitter.

Acorn carried on going, producing the Archimedes range of computers until 1998-2000. But then they suffered financial difficulty and nearly went the same way as Commodore.

However, the CPU part of Acorn, ARM, broke off from Acorn and formed ARM Ltd. This was a very good move because went Acorn went bankrupt, ARM was safe, and today more ARM processors are sold and used in systems than any other CPU manufacturer in the world, including Intel and AMD. If you have a mobile phone the chances are it has an ARM CPU for example. Even the iPhone is ARM powered.

As for Acorn. When it went bankrupt it was split up into various parts which were sold off to different companies who used them for a while, without a huge purpose. Much like Commodore. Morgan Stanley Dean Witter purchased Acorn first, and they sold the set-top box division to Pace Micro Technology, who also acquired control of RISC OS. But then in 1999 an Acorn management team bought a part of the old Acorn back from Morgan Stanley, and licensed by RISC OS to continue development of the Archimedes range.

A Cambridge based company still owns the rights to the Arch computer range and produces and develops systems. Another company still develops RISC OS.

As for the actual Acorn name. Just like the Commodore brand name, Acorn was licensed to a French PC maker, who used the logo on their systems. And today a PC maker still makes Acorn branded PC laptops somewhere in the North of England. Nothing to do with the Acorn of old though.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It might be a good idea to create a list of system manufacturers, and the community/support sites still supporting these systems, then members can volunteer to take on a system or site and be our Amibay ambassador for it.

It might also be worth us creating a template post that can be used by Amibay members to introduce Amibay to a retro community, giving a quick explanation of the site and what it represents. Plus quick links to import parts of the site.

Good idea?

Top Bottom