How to ping?

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Hello. Quick question and I'm sure one of you Amiga gods will quickly point me on my way.

I'm battling setting up my A1200 to my network to access the net. Started out with a wireless card, no joy so snagged a wired card, bit more joy. Using MiamiDx as the stack, run the miamiinit program, it connects to the router, pulls the IP (assigned statically on the router to the wired cards MAC), then says set-up successfully. Import settings to MiamiDx, hit online, finds the IP but then hangs on "finding host name". Then I get an error about DNS servers. When I type URLs into IBrowse I get "address has no data" (or however it's termed) error.

Anyhoo, I need to be able to ping. I entered the router IP in Ibrowse and it connected to it and tried to load the administration page (but came up with a bunch of garbage), so I think it's connected to my router OK, just can't get past it. Is there a shell command? I tried typing ping 192.168.0.1 but get the error "no such command" (or however it's termed) so am assuming that either this is the wrong command or the ping command is not installed.

Tried searching Aminet for a ping utility, but Aminet is a mess and impossible to find what you need unless you know what you're looking for.

So, please can someone tell me how to ping.

:D

S

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Search the Miami drawer and sub-drawers: you'll locate the ping command in there.

If not, I'm sure ping comes with the Genesis package.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Excellent. Thanks chaps, will try that all out later on.

While I'm at it, does anyone have words of advice re setting MiamiDx up? As I understand it, the miamiinit utility should do everything needed and then Miami is good to go. Only it clearly isn't...

:-/

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Miamiinit is for configuration only. When you are satisfied with the settings drop the init and start to use Miami icon.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
You need to import the file that Miami init has made into Miami. Then, in Miami, save the settings.

Then you're good to press online.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
You need to import the file that Miami init has made into Miami. Then, in Miami, save the settings.

Yup, imported the settings after running the init, but no luck. I'm away from the Amiga at the moment, will post what errors/output I get to this thread later on.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK

Righto, I'm back.

Just ran the init and imported. Hit online. All well until it gets stuck at "Finding Host Name". Walked away and left it to it for a bit, came back to an error box saying "Your IP address could not be resolved so Miami Deluxe has to fall back to your IP address as your host name. etc". Closed that error box and Miami now showing "online".

Opened iBrowse and got "undefined error: 20" when trying to go to any website. Hmmm...

Oh, and those ping programs don't work. :-/

S

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i thought the connected not connected was a problem with the os3.9 version of Miami? which version are you using?
of course you could save all the hair pulling trouble and get EasyNet from Amigakit for a tenner and have done with it (it does come fully supported(y))

BTW is your WEP key numeric or alpha numeric?

cheers, JuvUK

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
i thought the connected not connected was a problem with the os3.9 version of Miami? which version are you using?
of course you could save all the hair pulling trouble and get EasyNet from Amigakit for a tenner and have done with it (it does come fully supported(y))

cheers, JuvUK

Believe me, I'm close to buying Easynet, but I want to completely exhaust this before I give in :-D

Anyway, have made a little progress. I added the Amiga IP address and hostname to MiamiDx that I assigned it in my router and now when I hit online it gets the IP and finds the hostname and goes straight to online.

IBrowse still giving me that bloody error though. However, I can ping the Amiga from my Mac, so it's connected to the LAN at least. Maybe that error is just an ibrowse problem? Point me to another free browser?

What I need, urgently, is ping on the Amiga. Tried those posted above but they either don't work or are for different set-ups.

Help!

:D

S

EDIT: Scratch that re ping, just figured out how to use MiamiPing...

Can ping my router from Amiga. So, LAN is fine. When trying to ping google.com, the output window doesn't display.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Have you added your Default Gateway IP Address to the Miami config?

Kin

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
In the place you set the Router's IP, set one for your Amiga, say 192.168.0.14

Then go into the Miami section where you can manually set the Ethernet connection.
Set IP to Static to 192.168.0.14
Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
Set DNS to 192.168.0.1

I think I got the syntax right...post a pic if I didnt....

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Also remember to set the router to accept the IP you give to the Amiga! Without it the router will refuse the connection and you'll dead in the water trying to connect.

Top Bottom