How useful can an Amiga 1000 be now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
I look at pictures of amiga 1000's and think I'd like to own one of them, but I wouldn't want it to be a mere ornament. So how useful can an A1000 be now?

Is it possible to have OS3.1 on it? without needing to load kickstart off a disk? How about having internal IDE and running a CF card as a hard disk? Are the CPU and RAM upgrades (beyond just 256/512k add-ons) hard to find? Has anyone connected their 1000 online? Is there any reason why the upcoming OCS Indivision isn't listed as being 1000 compatible?

Are there many people on here using their 1000's for more than just games?, if so lets hear about what kind of set up you have (y)

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
Re: How useful can an Amiga 1000 be now?

Right so the Phoenix is a complete replacement 1000 motherboard, how come theres so little information around about these? You'd have thought this would have been big news but its gone under my radar thats for sure. Can these boards still be bought fully made?

And my questions still stand in regard to what an original Commodore 1000 can do.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

You could try contacting them on their contact page. ;)

RE: using an A1000, I have had no experience, soz.

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

The A1000 is the most "appealing" Amiga (it is simply gorgeous).

For expansions and all mambo-jambo...

Pretty much all A500 expansions are available for the A1k, too. They just are hooked "backwards" since the expansion bus is on the other side. The other way is harder: usually the A1000 expansions will clash with the A500's height... :banghead:

The only hard part on the A1000 is to find a ROM replacement. Oh, and WB3.1 will work on it if there is enough memory.

On Phoenix boards: some time ago people on EAB and Amiga.org made a batch of the boards. Some of them pops on to sell from time to time. Not a single one fully assembled... :|

Photon

Amiga is Yes. :)
AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Smaland

I used a 512K A1000 about 7 years back as my main word processing machine. Main reasons being: it stfu and let me think :) and the keyboard cable could reach the armchair ;)

You can have lotsaram, harddisk interfaces, even accelerators inside. Even though someone did Ethernet, I think even IRC is too much for it without 8MB and an 030. Might be wrong.

About as expandable as an A500 or A600 - just a little trickier to adapt expansions/find advice I guess.

Photon

Amiga is Yes. :)
AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Smaland

There's an IDE interface and a 68020LC accelerator that will probably work with it, both are being developed now and "almost done"... ;) IDE+a CF-adapter and you have a fast, rock solid, small and completely quiet huge harddisk!

Either the Indivision ECS is a misnomer, or it won't work with A1000/A500 OCS. It might, and if so you can get basically any VGA screen to use with it.

Subway USB will likely not be usable or even adaptable to A500/A600/A1000.

There are misc. expansions available for clockport, if you can get one in there.

So, basically as useful and expandable as an A600.

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

playgeneration said:
Has anyone connected their 1000 online?
I think Fred Fish did... :wink:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Photon said:
Either the Indivision ECS is a misnomer, or it won't work with A1000/A500 OCS. It might, and if so you can get basically any VGA screen to use with it.

It is a misnomer, in some degree: it works flawlessly even with OCS Denise, but will give even more than the ECS unit.

Subway USB will likely not be usable or even adaptable to A500/A600/A1000. There are misc. expansions available for clockport, if you can get one in there.

Says who? Using a clock port adaptor available in some few places you can hook a Subway 1.1 USB even on a meagre A1000! You just can't use Poseidon, just anaiis (from Aminet). Don't expect rocket speeds in transfers, of course.

Glenn

AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm

Why is the superkickdisk a problem ? I used a 3.1 superkickdisk on my A1000, adds a bit of time to the boot but who cares really..

I had a 2Mbyte RAM expansion on the side and ofcourse the 256k extra chip in the front..

Some day I will hook up my A590 to it too.. but right now both the A1000 and the A590 is in storage.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Does the image fits in the WOM space? :shock: :blink: :shock: :blink:

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

If i had one i`d use it to play Tracker MOD`s on, a kind of purest Miggy Jukebox :)

Wish i never sold mine...

Cheers,

Glenn

AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm

rkauer said:
Does the image fits in the WOM space? :shock: :blink: :shock: :blink:

Probably not, maybe it just installs it in RAM and have some handler that redirects to RAM in WORM.

..Was like 10 years ago I used my A1000 the last time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom