HP buys out Palm

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Yeh, I know all the iPhone lovers here won't care at all, but HP just bought out Palm. linky
I have a love/hate relationship with Palm, and one has to wonder why HP would want Palm, but if history has shown us anything, when HP buys a company, it will be gone within 2 years.- Just look at Voodoo PC. When HP bought them out, HP swore up and down that Voodoo would remain a "separate" entity. 3 years later, HP has no "Voodoo" branded PC out and has taken the Evny name for HP laptops.
RIP Palm, I guess I can retire all my Palm devices and apps now.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Palm have been in serious trouble for some time now. Finding it harder and harder to compete with the newer Smart Phones developing over the last couple of years. With the iPhone taking a dominant share in the market, and Android mobiles now gaining a foothold, Palm have been posting lower and lower quarterly profits over the past year.

Just last month the IT industry was speculating how much longer Palm would last before they were bought out, and they were not wrong.

I expect HP have been looking at the iPhone/Android markets and want a piece of the action. Buying Palm and utilising its properties to develop their own mobile hardware/OS/software is probably their end goal. I also very much doubt the name Palm will remain separate. Maybe we will see it used as a brand, similar to iPhone. The HP Palm maybe.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Palm actually died a long time ago (remember 2002? Palm stock dropped to pennies, then they split the stock, sold the OS to Access and said the stock was now worth $11 instead of a few cents?)
My point is there is absolutely nothing Palm can offer HP, that HP didn't have over 10 years ago.
Anyone remember the Jornada ? HP had 2 "Netbook" models WAYYYY before the term netbook was even thought of (do a google search for Jordana 850 or 7xx series). they killed them for Ipaqs, and Ipaqs even had phones!
Palm (or access) killed the OS off long ago, so an "Good" mobile OS is out!
My Treo's OS hates phone calls, works great as an orginizer, but crashes or freeze and looses 6 out of 10 phone calls
Hardware? not very likely?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Hp use(d) Digital laptops series for there high quality series

HP uses compaq servers and has no own type servers left (all compaq hp branded)

I hate that **** company, they help to the fact there will be at the end no choices left.. Palm was sinking for sure. I' loved them in the past. On other reason why I dislike HP is how they do there personel management..

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Personally I like HP products. Their laptops are currently some of the nicest I've used. They feel solid and well made, good keyboards and screens, quiet, and nice to use. And their printers tend to last longer than most, plus their all-in-ones being some of the best in that sector.

I'm not sure half the time why HP or other large companies buy out some of the ones they do. I think most of the time they hold some patent or other that is of interest, so the purchase is just to obtain that.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Yeh, I know all the iPhone lovers here won't care at all, but HP just bought out Palm. linky
I have a love/hate relationship with Palm, and one has to wonder why HP would want Palm, but if history has shown us anything, when HP buys a company, it will be gone within 2 years.- Just look at Voodoo PC. When HP bought them out, HP swore up and down that Voodoo would remain a "separate" entity. 3 years later, HP has no "Voodoo" branded PC out and has taken the Evny name for HP laptops.
RIP Palm, I guess I can retire all my Palm devices and apps now.

Only good thing that come out of this is HP+WebOS. WebOS is a nice linux-based mobile OS that is fit for HPs units. Not that I ever would choose that over Android anyway, or buy HP all in all.

Palm was great at a time in the past, and seemed to be on the right path again but a bit too late. Just compare those Palm units from yesteryear with say the ipaq. You could be humming along out in the wilderness writing your memoars until the cramp got you on a palm, on the ipaq you needed to live by a power outlet since it needed tons more horsepower to keep the redmond-crap that it ran alive.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I was very impressed with the first few iPaq's released. I had chance to develop some multimedia interactive presentations for use on the first colour models and thought they were very good. I also didn't have too much issue with the battery life, but I can imagine the much lower power needs of the Palm's at the time meant they could go on much longer. Plus we were only using them to demonstrate 3G technology and how it would work, to sell the technology to the manufacturers (years before it was launched btw). This was used by Lucent Technologies as a demonstration tool, the company who make most of the chips you find in networking devices.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
HP have always sucked in my books. Having worked alongside them some years ago, I could only refer to them as a bunch of incompetent & clueless corporate muppets. :roll:

That is just my opinion though. :whistle:

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Kin - I did notice there policy: drop the good guy's with the right knowledge get consultant's in.. save some money and compete with DELL. At least some clients realise:nuts: If you phone as poor guy from Belgium you get Dublin on the other end.. how is that going to work(n) (they put very cheap guy's in Dublin)

Harrison: The printers are not orignal it is not "made" by HP at all, just branded. (it could have changed the last 3 years I don't know)

The same for the laptops, they have no unit to create a better product at all, just putting a machine complete for a very short time... I dislike the laptop's, but I can understand you like them. They are not that bad comparing with some other ..

I did like palm a lot functional units, meant where it's usage was: getting a functional agenda. It seems in informatics nobody likes good stuff, if I would need another agenda I woud take my palm units first..(I have a good memory so it is useless to me)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@Kin - I did notice there policy: drop the good guy's with the right knowledge get consultant's in.. save some money and compete with DELL. At least some clients realise:nuts: If you phone as poor guy from Belgium you get Dublin on the other end.. how is that going to work(n) (they put very cheap guy's in Dublin) <snip>

Yeah, I've experienced that policy first hand & quit a job for having to carry the can for that very kind of decision by HP. :pissed:

Classic example of HP :bs:

They design a networkable printer that will only work on a Network with their own network interface. Printer is old but fully functional, but the network interface packs up. Network infterface no longer available because of age, therfore printer/scanner/fax despite functioning via parallel port is now useless as a network device.

Idea! - Buy a Parallel to Ethernet adapter to get it back online as a networked printer....Won't work because it isn't HP's design. :roll:

Wtf happened to industry standards?

HP suck.

Kin

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Maybe HP will put out Voodoo Branded Smart Phones. The Idea came up before at Voodoo and 1 prototype was made (using a Nokia), but I don't think HP will ever use the Voodoo brand again.

Top Bottom