HP Compaq NX5000 power problem

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
A couple of months ago I found an HP Compaq NX5000 laptop thrown away on the side of the road next to some rubbish bags. It had the power adapter with it.

Obviously I took it home and tried it and it works for the most part but has got a few power issues which I wouldn't mind sorting out if its in the free/super cheap range.

The battery it had was dead completely, so I bought a replacement battery from evilBay.

Here is the problem: The battery stops charging at 91%. Other than that it works and holds a decent charge for a cheap replacement battery.

The main problem is, if the laptop is switched off with or without charger, it won't switch on again UNLESS I remove the battery (very easy to remove) and press and hold power for a few seconds and then re-insert the battery. Once the battery is re-inserted the charge light comes on for a few seconds then switches off and then the laptop can start up as normal with the power button, boots up and works fine.

Even if the computer is put to sleep/suspend thats it. Its off and the same procedure is needed to re-start it.

I've updated the bios firmware already to the latest.

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
I had a HP NX7000 in the years 2003-2009, and it had a tool in the BIOS to recalibrate the battery, which solves problem like battery stopping at 99%.
Perhaps your model has something similar.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
It either the battery is faulty or there is a fault in the charging circuit on the motherboard.

I would try buying a cheap replacement battery off evil bay first because it is probably that in any case :)

Top Bottom