RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Re: Hyperion and Amiga Inc settles

Hopefully hyperion will now work with Genesi and Acube to make more affordable and powerful hardware?

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK

Thats very good news, just a pity it has taken so long, as a lot of Amiga fans and potential customers have drifted off over the years, I for one have never really taken much interest past the classic machines. It would be cool to see AmigaOS come out on some hardware thats relevant today, perhaps the upcoming ARM powered netbooks/laptops.

I wonder what 'Amiga Inc' now owns, surely the rights to the Amiga name. It would be nice to see them just dissapear entirely, rather than holding on to the Amiga name and making it look bad.

Puni/Void

AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Vestfold

That's great news! :thumbsup2: Have been waiting for the outcome for a long time now, and finally it is over. It will be interesting to see what the future has in store. It was definitely worth another Tuborg. :beer:

According to the homepage of Hyperion:

As Hyperion Entertainment’s most ambitious project to date is drawing to a close in collaboration with our partners, we invite our current and prospective customers to watch this space for further updates on Hyperion’s continued efforts to revive the Amiga platform.

Can't wait to here more about this project. Time will show. 8)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

It's funny reading that news. It doesn't really include OS4 for the Classic Amiga's. A bit like that old adorage back in 2001-ish, "2 more weeks...." :laugh:

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Lets hope they see sense and re-compile the Classic OS4 and OS4.1 for x86 tech!!!!

X86 Amiga... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

If it was in a custom Zero Footprint case (i.e. in a keyboard), even if it was 4 times the price of its components, I would prolly still buy it LOL!!!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

playgeneration said:
I wonder what 'Amiga Inc' now owns, surely the rights to the Amiga name. It would be nice to see them just dissapear entirely, rather than holding on to the Amiga name and making it look bad.
And a bunch of crummy PC games. Don't forget the PC games, that their revenue stream now!

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Just you watch and see Snowman maker and TipCalculator will make it to an Android phone and iPhone near you soon! Also bearing an Amiga logo!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Zeets

I dunno m8y. It would seriously take the pi$$ if OS4 was ever realeased working on X86, when the poor old Classic Amiga's are still left flapping around in the wind with a serious amount of Hardware still unsupported. :Doh:

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I've wanted Amiga OS to finally ditch PPC for some years now too, and to finally be able to utilise up to date affordable hardware, instead of the extremely over priced hardware currently required to run it due to it all being based around an obsolete CPU.

Intel x86 would be brilliant with hardware so cheap and most of us with spare systems we could use. However I could see apprehension due to piracy if the OS could be easily run on any old PC. Therefore the alternative is ARM CPUs if they want to continue to have a unique platform that can be viewed as "Amiga" and uniquely for Amiga OS. I would definitely be interested.

Lets hope this finally sees some serious development into the future.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

I'm more interested if they can port OS4.x to PPC Mac hardware first: plenty of "old" hardware for cheap prices. :mrgreen:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

is it just me? or is os4 etc on a pc just winuae? surely an amiga is hardware and software, and just porting the software won't make it an amiga, i believe the Amiga days and custom hardware are over, and a "modern" version of the OS in not going to make an Amiga revival. Just my 2 pennies worth

JuvUK

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Harrison said:
Intel x68 would be brilliant ...........................if they want to continue to have a unique platform that can be viewed as "Amiga" and uniquely for Amiga OS. I would definitely be interested.

Lets hope this finally sees some serious development into the future.

That's a classic typo there, Harrison!! I agree it would be brilliant, however, I suspect it's unlikely to see the light of day though.....

:mrgreen:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

rkauer said:
I'm more interested if they can port OS4.x to PPC Mac hardware first: plenty of "old" hardware for cheap prices. :mrgreen:

I'm with rkauer on this. I've got a bunch of old PPC Macs that are no use to me running OSX (Since I have Intel Macs to replace them) -- It'd be great to run something else on them. OS4.1 was first choice, but alas isn't available. Still, looks like MorphOS 2.4 runs on Mac Mini, it may run on other PPC Mac hardware if we are lucky. Not that I know much about MorphOS. I daresay there are people here that have opinions. :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

JuvUK said:
is it just me? or is os4 etc on a pc just winuae? surely an amiga is hardware and software, and just porting the software won't make it an amiga, i believe the Amiga days and custom hardware are over, and a "modern" version of the OS in not going to make an Amiga revival. Just my 2 pennies worth

JuvUK

True, it has now been way too long and too many Amiga users from back in the day left many years ago to become PC users and have no interest in going back.

OS4 on the PC wouldn't be WinUAE. WinUAE can only emulate 68xxx chips and not PPC, so OS4 and its software cannot be run on the PC in any way, not even with the PearPC PPC emulator.

You could also equally argue, as many of us do, that OS4 on PPC based hardware such as SAM isn't running on real Amiga hardware and so isn't an Amiga either. The old Blue vs Red argument in part from a certain other forum.

Do you consider Intel Macs real Macs? They are after all identical to PCs in hardware terms, with just the OS and physical design being different. It would be no different with an Intel Amiga. They could build Amiga specific systems using standard PC technology. Even maybe using similar lock out technology so Amiga OS can only be installed on Amiga hardware.

It is very true that the real Amiga experience existed in the days when Commodore made real Amiga hardware, running real Amiga software. Those days are long gone. So what does that leave? The Amiga legacy and the Amiga OS. If it is to keep developing into the future it needs an alternative platform to run on instead of the now ageing Amiga hardware. PPC was an option at the time, but that is now also dead technology. Therefore I can't see it as anything other than commercial suicide to keep developing for it unless they want to purposefully keep Amiga OS for retro enthusiasts only. They have to move forward.

With enough funding, developing a completely new hardware platform as the new Amiga would be the perfect dream all of us wish for, but we know they don't have the money to realise that properly. Attempting with a limited budget always creates compromise and that leads to the designs being restricted or utilising cheaper dated hardware. If they instead ditched the whole expensive proprietary hardware direction and focused on creating a great OS that ran on standard inexpensive and up to date PC x86 technology it would benefit everyone interested.

Quad core i7 64bit Amiga anyone?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Harrison said:
You could also equally argue, as many of us do, that OS4 on PPC based hardware such as SAM isn't running on real Amiga hardware and so isn't an Amiga either. The old Blue vs Red argument in part from a certain other forum.

Do you consider Intel Macs real Macs? They are after all identical to PCs in hardware terms, with just the OS and physical design being different. It would be no different with an Intel Amiga. They could build Amiga specific systems using standard PC technology. Even maybe using similar lock out technology so Amiga OS can only be installed on Amiga hardware.

Or, to put it another way "If it don't run Lemmings, it's not an Amiga!" -- This is essentially the conclusion I reached in #AmigaWorld IRC.

Intel Macs are real Macs, because of Rosetta. PPC Macs were real Macs because of the '020 emulation code. Admittedly, Apple have long-since dropped 68k and <= OS9 support from their OS, but there was at least a transition period. "This is my grandfather's ax, I have replaced the head three times, and the handle twice, but it is still my grandfather's ax"

os4/AROS/MorphOS are all Amiga-alikes, and are probably very good in their own way, but I'm not sure they're really 'Amiga'

For me, the future of Amiga is either:
NatAmi/68070/ColdFire (A5000, anyone?)
or commodity (probably x86) hardware with a Workbench-like OS with built-in 68k emulation and a CatWeasel or equivalent.

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon

Do you consider Intel Macs real Macs?

Are you kidding, I don't consider PPCs MACs! :nono:

If it's not a 68K, it's not a MAC and if it's not a 68K, it's not an Amiga!

Doesn't mean it's not kual or wow or whatever.. It's just doesn't fit my definition.

desiv
(Jeeesh! Kids today!!)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

i agree that the amiga really needs to go to standard hardware, and if it does i will use one, but will it really be an Amiga? and no an intel mac is not a mac it's a mucked up pc, you wan run windows on it for f's sake :wink:

i do think this is good news and as much as i love the miggy, isn't it really just a retro/hobby machine now? do you really think it can make a come back? really?

JuvUK

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ all

Without the original Amiga hardware concept, there can never be a true new Amiga OS. You hear an awful lot of moot conjecture about OS4 for the X86 & I doubt that will ever happen. What most people seem to forget is that despite the X86 existing in the guise of powerful i7 technology thesedays, none of the chipsets supporting this marvellous speed are true pre-emptive multi-tasking chipsets. Pee Cees can not multi-task in any instance. They can run several threads at once & that's about it. WinUAE can't do it & never will. WinUAE can't even scroll correctly, but an Amiga can. Multi-core CPU's @ speeds of upto 4Ghz & beyond might have tens of thousand MIPS & yet the Motorola 68060 CPU's running @ less than 100 MIPS with an Amiga chipset under the hood, just run rings around todays best offerings.

What we have now is Hyperion fudging an OS that should have been released with the AAA Chipset & everyone is fighting over the scraps how many years later, or should I say, ....."Just 2 more weeks". :roll:

Kin

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

What is the original amiga hardware concept?

It's something of a pc console crossbreed. A very expandable computer with limited variety in the base hardware. Isn't that why it worked, and why it works for Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom