I can't believe I just did that!!!

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
Ohhhhh FUDGE!

I was just messing about with the HDD in my A1200 because the LED was permanently lit so I was trying a CF rather than the Kingspec 32GB PATA I had in there. After I'd confirmed the LED is fine I accidentally put the Kingspec back in upside down. I've done that before on the A1000, I'm sure of it but this must just have been the final straw. HDD DEAD :(

Dammit. I'll see if I can get anything off of it in the PC later but I'm willing to bet it's dead and gone so it looks like I'll be buying a CF after all.

I guess the next month will be spent getting everything set up just nice again! At least any small amount of personal files I had backed up on various drives and on the bright side, I now know better what I want installed and what I don't. So a clean install may not be such a bad thing.

But seriously :picard:picard:picard:picard:picard:picard:picard:picard

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Dude, that really sucks. :(

Might be a good idea to set up your hard drive in UAE so that you have backup.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you can get it going in a PC

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Might be worth having a search for replacement PCB for the HDD just in case. (y)

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
Yeah, that KingSpec was not a cheap drive either :(

Oh well. If there is any silver lining then it's that I was going to replace it with a CF anyway as I've confirmed from Mr Google that the LED being permanently lit was indeed down to the drive. They seem to all be like it in lots of different devices and my OCD was kicking and it was starting to do my head in.

- - - Updated - - -

Ed. Going to open it up once I've tried rescuing it in the PC. I guess that's a possibility...

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
If I set up the new drive within UAE (FS-UAE probably, but maybe WinUAE), can I do so with an HDF file and then use DD to transfer that to a real CF card?

I know I can do it the other way round and setup on the CF card in UAE (I think that was how I did it last time) and then use DD to take a backup - which is the bit I didn't do. It would be really handy if I'm going CF if I could remove the CF card without taking the cover off the machine. I've seen PCBs for that but I bet they're not available in the UK.

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
Yes, sorely tempted by one of those. Means I could whip it out and do a DD backup once in a while.

How quick was the delivery. My only experience in the past was when I emailed about a Vampire for my 600 and I never got a response. Quite lucky really as the 600 turned out to be junk :LOL:

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
Not sure TBH as I know he has been very busy recently. When I ordered mine it arrived within 2-3 weeks I think but that was probably 12 months or more ago. Having access to the CF and WinUAE makes for an easy update / backup thou (y)

Top Bottom