I hate to see the 68K fade away...

Country
Sweden
Region
Linkoping
Hi guys,

I just bought an Amiga 1200 for the beloved 68K. Maybe it's too late to save the 68K port of Debian GNU/Linux, but I would like see it resurrected. Since Linux needs an MMU, I'm obviously interested in an accelerator card. I also want to towerize my Amiga, but an accelerator card is my first priority. However, links to HOWTO do it - for a newbie like me - is welcome. Back in 1997, I wrote a proprietary graphic library with "draw a pixel or a horizontal line" and "blitter" functionality in pure 68K assembler - kind of a lite version of QuickDraw.

- Did I hear somebody say: Blizzard 1260?

Cheers,

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Hi guys,

I just bought an Amiga 1200 for the beloved 68K. Maybe it's too late to save the 68K port of Debian GNU/Linux, but I would like see it resurrected. Since Linux needs an MMU, I'm obviously interested in an accelerator card. I also want to towerize my Amiga, but an accelerator card is my first priority. However, links to HOWTO do it - for a newbie like me - is welcome. Back in 1997, I wrote a proprietary graphic library with "draw a pixel or a horizontal line" and "blitter" functionality in pure 68K assembler - kind of a lite version of QuickDraw.

- Did I hear somebody say: Blizzard 1260?

Cheers,

Well you can do this the easy way or the hard way.

The easy way is to get yourself an EZ Z4 tower @ amigakit.
Cram everything in there with a Mediator busboard and a fat 1260 with SCSI expansion or a Blizzard PPC and add a graphic card to that.

The hard way is a PC tower, have a Dremel at the ready and cut in that tower to make all custom ports fits.
The best thing is to cut the whole back out, use a piece of metal plate (not too thick) and rivet it back on there, or use bolts and nuts (that is better).
You will also need Lyra adapters to make the PC keyboard and maybe mouse work on the A1200.
If your good with solderingen, you could modify a keyboard flap (the green thing) to have it connected to a CDTV keyboard / A4000 keyboard.
I would use a PS2 connector to the back of the case.
You also have to modify a ATX power supply, but that's easy even Amigakit has got a adapter cable for that.

Once your done either way, you will have a souped up A1200 and it will go on to be one of the best Amiga's in your home.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Hey, what about all us folks who don't even have an MMU? uCLinux or Minix can run on vanilla 68k machines, and they could use a little help on the Amiga...

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
What is the perfomance to expect? I have several pc's/laptops with some flavor of Debian. In this case right know typing in Debian Lenny.

cv643d

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
Hello (y)

Dont forget to sign up at Safir too, its the swedish Amiga community :bowdown:

Maybe someone there can help you out with the stuff you need also :ninja:

CU

Top Bottom