I have strayed to the dark side.. Again! :D Apple IIe

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Well, after my purchase of the Risc PC six months ago I have quite enjoyed getting my head around something other than Commodore Basic and Amiga DOS after the last 30 years so thought I would stray a bit further :D

I have been listening to quite a few Apple II podcasts the last year or so and found them really interesting, seems to be a fairly healthy mod scene and new software emerging on a regular basis so and after managing to control my usualy impulse purchasing streak I have been looking for a mint machine since February.

Finally I have this vision of beauty collected today :p

Pristine condition, 80 column card, parallel card, Checkmate MultiTech 1024k RAM card, very bright and sharp Taxan monitor, all six pristine manuals, original sticker set, all spare bits and screws etc and even the little Apple spanner that was supplied to remove port nuts and the warning tags that were ties on the back from new :D

P6281106.jpg P6281115.jpg P6281114.jpg P6281113.jpg P6281112.jpg

I had to box up three other 6502 machines and three Amigas to fit her on the end but now shes in pride of place I'm looking forward to getting to grips with a new machine :D

21.jpg

Two things I thought I would ask if anyone can offer any guidance:

Where can I get a copy of ProDOS disks?
The SD solutions seems a bit hit and miss, especially on availability.... does anyone have any recommendations as I would like to add one?

Thanks (y)

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
one fairly simple way to get disks over the the Apple is with ADT Pro, either via null modem cable <-> serial, or it can also transfer (albeit slowly) via a PC soundcard to the Apples cassette ports (a command typed in on the Apple side gets ADT on the PC side to dump the apple version to a disk)

http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/

all the info to get it done is there as well, the resulting ADT disk is also a bootable ProDos disk as well.

archive.org also has a bunch of Apple II (well, nearly every system really) stuff

you may need this info particularly:

http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrapaudio.html#Starting_from_bare_metal

Last edited:

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
You need to get hold of an Apple Super Serial Card, run adtpro and you can write any discs you want.

BTW, your iie is lacking the Enhancement Upgrade ;)

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
You need to get hold of an Apple Super Serial Card, run adtpro and you can write any discs you want.

which means it can still run GEOS :LOL: (virtually the only 'benefit')

Last edited:

acherion

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Great acquisition there. Nothing wrong with an Apple IIe, it actually was my first foray into serious programming — by "serious" I mean more than just doing 10 PRINT "Hello World" in AmigaBASIC, which was what I was doing before I used an Apple IIe in high school. I have a platinum edition at home which is more yellow than platinum, and a DuoDisk as well. Unfortunately the motherboard inside is having trouble outputting colour, could be a cap or an inductor on the board, the composite connector itself or (heaven forbid) the IOU. Wish I had more time to look into it.

ADTPro is your best bet for getting some floppies written out, and the software is highly available on the internet if you know where to look. I don't use any SD card solutions with my IIe as I prefer writing out floppies myself for the full 100% nostalgia, but have heard people waxing lyrical about the Floppy Emu from Big Mess O Wires — http://www.bigmessowires.com/macintosh-floppy-emu/ — it does classic Macintosh and Lisa too. To get Apple II to work with it, it needs a firmware update but that should be easy to do.

Happy computing!

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
Great acquisition there. Nothing wrong with an Apple IIe, it actually was my first foray into serious programming — by "serious" I mean more than just doing 10 PRINT "Hello World" in AmigaBASIC, which was what I was doing before I used an Apple IIe in high school. I have a platinum edition at home which is more yellow than platinum, and a DuoDisk as well. Unfortunately the motherboard inside is having trouble outputting colour, could be a cap or an inductor on the board, the composite connector itself or (heaven forbid) the IOU. Wish I had more time to look into it.

ADTPro is your best bet for getting some floppies written out, and the software is highly available on the internet if you know where to look. I don't use any SD card solutions with my IIe as I prefer writing out floppies myself for the full 100% nostalgia, but have heard people waxing lyrical about the Floppy Emu from Big Mess O Wires — http://www.bigmessowires.com/macintosh-floppy-emu/ — it does classic Macintosh and Lisa too. To get Apple II to work with it, it needs a firmware update but that should be easy to do.

Happy computing!

that looks pretty good, and i could use it to give my IIGSs 'hard disks' as well...

Apple II Hard Disk – (requires firmware update) Emulates up to four simultaneous Smartport hard disks, each up to 32 MB. Smartport disks are compatible with the Apple II GS, Apple IIc (ROM version 0 or newer), and Apple IIc+.

will definately consider it...if and when i ever have an extra $100 laying around :p

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Thanks Saviour/Bas.... Will grab a serial card and get ADT installed :D

Yeah I have seen the upgrade kit for £30, will see how I go and maybe pick it up at some point, benefits seem fairly limited for what I will be using it for :)

Last edited:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
I picked up 3 Apple IIGSs (+GS serial port-> 9 pin Com Null cable) for a good price nearly just for the sole benefit of being able to write Apple II discs via serial (115,200bps, about 19 secs a disc)

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
have heard people waxing lyrical about the Floppy Emu from Big Mess O Wires — http://www.bigmessowires.com/macintosh-floppy-emu/ — it does classic Macintosh and Lisa too. To get Apple II to work with it, it needs a firmware update but that should be easy to do.

Happy computing!

That looks great... like the LCD screen :)

This is the one they mention quite often on OpenApple pod cast http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DISK-II-emul...612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43de672d64 seems to have good feedback on the forums compatibility wise and price is not too bad either.

And this is the one they mentioned a few episodes back by the chap in South Korea... this is the one I like the look of http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SD-DISK-II-E...824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419756f980

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
And this is the one they mentioned a few episodes back by the chap in South Korea... this is the one I like the look of http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SD-DISK-II-E...824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419756f980

I have this one and can really recommend it. I have it installed on my IIGS as a hard drive. Works rock solid. Only gripe is that it takes about twice the time to load the GSOS compared to a SCSI partition but once loaded it's pretty fast to use due to caching. In your case this shouldn't be an issue as ProDOS is loaded instantly. GSOS is 16 bit and the card didn't originally support that but the developer was kind enough to make the support, when I approached him after purchasing it.

Someone should really make a proper IDE adapter for the Apple II series. The biggest issue of course is the firmware but probably not impossible as there are so many devices emulating the standard HD partition.

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
There is a proper IDE solution (along with completely transparent floppy emulation) with a slot card called CFFA 3000, mature and reliable kit and it's the best one on the market. It's pricey though and there is a waiting list..

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
It's pricey though and there is a waiting list..
Kinda reminds me of some Amiga products... :lol
I'm actually on that waiting list but probably going to drop out, mostly due to having to keep a tighter budget, but also for it being pricey and even more so on the second hand market. I mean, if the retro community can come up with an affordable IDE solution for old XT based PCs and pretty much every other 8-bit system than Apple, so why can't it be done for Apple? Actually, it's been done but it would probably need fine tuning in both hardware and firmware.

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the SD DISK II Protek, Im on the brink of clicking 'Buy it now' :) Just wondering, how do you select the image as the current model does not appear to have Bluetooth or external dial? Is it possible to do similar to the SD2IEC I have on the 128D and have the Apple II boot into a file browser and select a disk image from there?

Thanks again :)

I have this one and can really recommend it. I have it installed on my IIGS as a hard drive. Works rock solid. Only gripe is that it takes about twice the time to load the GSOS compared to a SCSI partition but once loaded it's pretty fast to use due to caching. In your case this shouldn't be an issue as ProDOS is loaded instantly. GSOS is 16 bit and the card didn't originally support that but the developer was kind enough to make the support, when I approached him after purchasing it.

Someone should really make a proper IDE adapter for the Apple II series. The biggest issue of course is the firmware but probably not impossible as there are so many devices emulating the standard HD partition.

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Very nice. Looks fabulous condition.. Even a nice stash of the proper rainbow Apple stickers :) Yes adtpro is the way to go, Bas has custody of my apple iI right now else I'd be happy to send some disks. Be sure to get a proper Apple super serial tho if you will get a serial card.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
The card seems to include the USB serial connector, so you can use a terminal software on some other computer. The USB module seems to be some standard one that you can use with Arduino kits. If you need, I can provide you Ian, the developer's, email, so you can ask from him.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the SD DISK II Protek, Im on the brink of clicking 'Buy it now' :) Just wondering, how do you select the image as the current model does not appear to have Bluetooth or external dial? Is it possible to do similar to the SD2IEC I have on the 128D and have the Apple II boot into a file browser and select a disk image from there?

Thanks again :)

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Well, thanks again for all the advice. I ended up going for the SD II Floppy which landed from Bulgaria today, absolutely delighted with it. Really well made and works flawlessly, I really like how when you change the disk image the IIe auto resets and the new image loads straight up.

I also treated it to a genuine Apple monitor which suits it a bit better :D

So now to track down some interesting images and get my head around a whole new set of DOS commands :D

sd2

sd1

Attachments

• sd1.jpg
    sd1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Right , video please!!!:) please can you make a video or a picture sequence of how it boots and how you select/ run a disk image?

need to know. I found a Brazilian team making cffa2's(clones or otherwise) but still in the dark how this one works... What does it boot to??

looks great. And a monitor, the classic Apple green screen swivel .

very nice!!! :) :)

cheers, Iain

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
I will have a crack at a video mate but its actually really simple. The SD card has 16 directories on it numbered 1 to 9 and A to I and in each directory you pop a disk image. The button to the left cycles through the images and each time you choose a new one the IIe resets and boots the new image, its just like having a self booting disk in drive 1 :D Works incredibly well... even comes with 16 images on the supplied SD.

I plugged it into the floppy controller, turned it on and it booted straight to Load Runner, pressed the button to the left and it moved to image 2, the IIe reset and ProDOS loaded, pressed it again, moved to Image 3 IIe reset and Moon Patrol loaded etc...

I have 4 1GB cards each with 16 different disk images on so 64 titles to play with but obviously you can just change any you want to something new by just dragging and dropping a new image.

Really suprised by the quality, nice metal case, quality buttons, nice crisp display, the chap who makes them obviously takes a lot of pride in his work :D

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
Try...

The Bilestoad
Odyssey: The Compleat Adventure
Titan Empire

i also liked the A2 version of Taipan