Status
Not open for further replies.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Once more, intel did it with the "essential series" mini-ITX mobos that are always priced ~90$ !
this time they released the D945GCLF2 motherboard, with dual-core 1.6ghz Atom cpu, sataII, ddr2, gigabit ehternet...

D945GCLF2.jpg

http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/M ... erview.htm

there are MANY home uses for this one, from download server, seeding, media server etc... it can play flawlessly 1080p videos :mrgreen: and draws ~40-50W !
I have used for almost a year 24/7 intel's previous mobo with 1.2ghz celeron cpu, now I will move this to my office and use the dualcore one at home... I am a sucker for those nice tiny miniITX systems with their tiny cases and picopsu's :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Re: I just love intel's mini-ITX boards...

I also love mini-ITX motherboards. Such great design in a small form factor.

I've been meaning to build a new system around one to utilise as a seeding and download server, and this one you have posted looks ideal.

Are there any other models in this new Intel range? Or is that the best/fastest one?

Also what PSU and case would you recommend to go with it? I ideally want a case that contains the PSU inside rather than most that have the power brick external to the case. But, if that isn't possible it's not such a big deal.

I want to build one of these to reduce power consumption as my download/seeding server is left on 24/7. And also to make it quieter. The current system isn't really noisy, but it's not whisper quiet either.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

well, you could look at intel's D201GLY2 mobo, as it has a 1.2ghz celeron220 on it... There is also a single-core atom based one (D945GCLF , not a big deal, the D201GLY2 is faster ) and another celeron model (D201GLY not recommended , no sata and celeron215 cpu)
so it boils down to either D201GLY2 (which is older) or the new D945GCLF2 mobo that is faster in doing most things.
Almost all mITX cases have at least a 60W PSU built-in, and all I have seen have an external brick-laptop-style transformer, not a big deal me thinks... 60W is enough to power the mobo, a sata 2.5" HD and a slimline cdrom... Personally I just remove the case's PSU and use 120W PicoPSU's instead, to be on the safe side of things 8)
I always get my mITX stuff from this eBay store, I highly recommend them: http://stores.ebay.com/MITXPC (you can contact them to get a quote with the system you want to built)
I have ordered a Morex 3833 case + D945GCLF2 + 2GB DDR2 + 320GB Sata 2.5" HDD + Slimline Sata DVDRW for 380eur shipped express to Greece.
with the previous D201GLY2 system from them I managed to upload until now 535GB to UG with my crappy 1MBPS upload speed... I just leave it on always! :D
Be aware that the case has one 60x60x10 fan... after some months of working, like all fans, it will start to make more noise... then you will be forced to change it (easily) like I do :roll:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Cheers for the info. The price for that complete system build does sound a good deal. Do they prebuild it for you? Or is it sent as parts? I prefer to build systems myself. I get more enjoyment from it that way, and get to know exactly what the setup is and how I installed it.

For the case, I was looking at www.mini-itx.com (which I highly recommend) and the Morex Venus 669 looks like quite a nice one.

Although I'm tempted to get a NAS case like the Chenbro as I'm also looking to build the new seeding/download server with a lot of storage available options available. The reason being that I have a lot of full TOSEC and other full rom sets stored on my download server that are constantly being seeded and because they are torrent zipped it makes it easy to quickly update them when new versions of a collection are released. I would therefore be looking to include a minimum of 1TB of storage. Probably at 2 500GB SATA drives to begin with, and with the option to add more drives later. With the Chenbro case I could setup a 2.5" boot drive, or even a solid state drive, and then dedicated 2 500GB HDs for the download storage. And still have room to add a slimline DVD writer too. Larger case yes, but much quieter than a full PC system, lower power consumption and looks nice.

Regarding fans, I've never like smaller fans. Even 80mm fans or quite noisy. I love to get cases with 120mm fans where possible as the noise difference and increase in air flow is a big improvement. However with any mini-itx based case it is obvious that smaller fans are the only ones that will fit. Or are they? I am also examining cases for possible 120mm case fan mods.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I mean a PC that is mainly used to run p2p network software such as uTorrent, running 24/7 downloading queued up files and seeding the completed files back into the p2p community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom