I need a laptop advice

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Okay, my laptop (Leonvo Z61m) is at least 6 years old, so I need a new one :)

I think resolutions of 1366x768 is too small. My current resolution is 1680 x 1050 ( WSXGA+ ) which I like a lot.

I use Virtual box once in a while, but I mostly browse and code.

My girl friend uses the laptop to download pictures from the camera and do simple adjustments (cropping etc) before uploading them to our NAS.

SO...

I like these brands: Acer, Asus, Lenovo

I don't like: Toshiba and Dell.

I don't know what my budget it, it's not that important. It's like "meeting the right one". And either way, prices are different in Norway from where you are, unless you are in Norway too :)

Things I'd appreciate:
- Good battery
- At least dual core cpu
- CPU extensions for virtualization
- Support for 5ghz wifi
- Possability for plenty of RAM
- Super small ;-P
- about 15" screen 1680 x 1050 ( WSXGA+ )
- HDMI out
- Windows 7 capable

Not important:
- Blueray
- Dishwasher etc.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
The best recommendation is for you both to go to the local computer shop and see which laptop you both like and fits your criteria.

gavilan

Amiga user & abuser since 1988
AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
My friend: if you have the money, and since you already stated you like the brand, may i suggest one of the following to you:

- Lenovo ThinkPad SL510
- Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15"

The first one has a 9 cell battery if i recall correct. The second one comes with 6 cell battery. Both machines are pretty good. I have used them for a while, and im quite impressed. Just my 2 cents
;)
Sebastian

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
Something to consider is Lenovo's outlet store on their web site. They have a nice selection of off-lease, refurbished, open box, and other units at 30% to 70% off the list price. You can pick and choose just about any combination of normal options for the machines just by browsing their inventory. As the warranty on units sold this way was the same as new units, I didn't really see any problems with just purchasing an outlet unit.

gavilan

AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
Something to consider is Lenovo's outlet store on their web site. They have a nice selection of off-lease, refurbished, open box, and other units at 30% to 70% off the list price. You can pick and choose just about any combination of normal options for the machines just by browsing their inventory. As the warranty on units sold this way was the same as new units, I didn't really see any problems with just purchasing an outlet unit.

Is the store online available in other countries than , say, USA?
I ask this because our friend is in Norway....

But yes, they outlet store rocks ;)

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
Good point, gavilan. It might be a US-only thing.

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
I dug a little further and saw that as well. However, the outlet store says that they don't ship internationally. Basically, the user has to shop at the end-point store for their country, so arnljot will be limited to whatever the Norway store has available. Too bad, the outlet store is wonderful. :(

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Buy a MAC lappy m8. ....Tell Bill to fro discreetely! ;)

Kin

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
- Lenovo ThinkPad SL510
- Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15"

Thanks, they are nice machines, but not HD+ (1600x900) or WSXGA+ (1680x1050)

Buy a MAC lappy m8. ....Tell Bill to fro discreetely! ;)
But Bill doesn't like Java, and I'm a java developer. So I want to tell Jobs to fro... :) And I could buy a linux pc so neither wins :p

@All
Guys, thanks a lot. I've actually found two candidates.

Option A:
HP ProBook 6555b, it has 1600x900 screen resolution (15.6") and is equipped with AMD Phenom II N830 Triple-Core and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250. It uses DDR3 RAM, and is delivered with 4GB, and can use up to 8GB.

Option B:
HP ProBook 6545b, it has 1600x900 screen resolution (15.6") and is equipped with AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M540 and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, and is delivered with 4GB, and can use up to 8GB. It uses DDR2 RAM.

Option B can also be delivered with a AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 cpu.

My questions now are:

1) What do you guys think of HP laptops? I've been told by one shop guy that they are not their bests. He prefered Asus, Acer and Toshiba.

2) Between the options the price difference is 40% price saving going down from A to B. About 20% if I go for the M620 on option B. What are your thoughts of price performance?

I spent a lot of money last time I bought a laptop, it has served me for 6 years. Now, will those extra Norwegian Krone extend the life of the laptop?

Cheers.

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK
Lenovo lenovo lenovo (y)

If you need money off vouchers check out the Lenovo Twitter feed. If they dont have any promotions running on there ask them for a money off code. Thats what I did and they sent me a 10% off voucher.

If you are looking for a laptop of a certain spec then they are all just as good as each other but I would always recommend you purchase the 3 year warranty on whatever you get.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I know lenovos are good :)

It's just that I have a really hard time finding a Lenovo with 15.4" screen or 15.6" screen with HD+ (1600x900) or WSXGA+ (1680x1050).

I find some older C2D models, but none with newer CPUs. :-/

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
1) What do you guys think of HP laptops? I've been told by one shop guy that they are not their bests. He prefered Asus, Acer and Toshiba.

I'd take a HP over an acer, but asus over that, and thinkpads over that, but I prefer macbook pros. Best build of the lot.

I spent a lot of money last time I bought a laptop, it has served me for 6 years. Now, will those extra Norwegian Krone extend the life of the laptop?

I've not owned a laptop that retailed for less than 15 000 nok since the late 90s. Well, beside the cheapo I have stored at the univ to be able to bicycle there without backpack. That was around 7000 nok (well, I paid aprox 2000). It's for sale, will be replaced by a second hand macbook. Can't stand cheap build quality another minute, even for the few hours I use it.

gavilan

AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
I know lenovos are good :)

It's just that I have a really hard time finding a Lenovo with 15.4" screen or 15.6" screen with HD+ (1600x900) or WSXGA+ (1680x1050).

I find some older C2D models, but none with newer CPUs. :-/

@arnljot: is HDMI a must for you? Otherwhise, why dont you check Lenovo W701 ??

Top Bottom