UK
Region
Sevenoaks
An now I have it :D

PC Engine CD, works great with my CoreGrafX:

20150404_104134.jpg

20150404_104107.jpg

Been enjoying some Darius on my projector this morning :ninja:

Off to eBay now to search for more games lol....

ndial

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Wonderfull addon for you little CoreGrafx!
Have a look for the Gate of Thunder, if you like shoot em ups.
Enjoy it man.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Great machine....

Ghoul N Ghost
R Type
Splatterhouse
Street fighter 2 champ edition
Ordyne(Cool shoot em up)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks for kind words and the game suggestions :D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks guys. Do these play backups?

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Nice catch Steve! :) Did you find it in the UK or did you have to import?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Got from Japan, shipping was 50% of the sale price lol but worth it in total as got it for the opening bid :)

Last edited:

samaron

Country
Norway
Region
Rogaland
Thanks guys. Do these play backups?

There is no copy protection on this console. It is after all the first game console to use CD-ROM for games, as early as 1988. :) The catch is that you have to burn it as a mixed media CD, so that audio and data are seperate. If burned properly, it will be recognized as an audio CD in your PC. Another thing, like with most early CD consoles, you MUST burn at 1x. Anything faster will cause issues reading the disc, trust me. Have tried 4x and that didn't work out for me at least. 1x always does the trick. ;)

It does also exist EverDrive flash cartridge for the HuCard games, which is also quite handy. If you feel old school regarding backups, you should get one of the old floppy copy devices for it. Not really practical, but fun to own in a collection.
tongue.gif

The PC Engine is a really nice game console. Well worth owning. A lot of great games for it!

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks for the info samaron, I'll definitely have to burn some cd's given the price of the decent games on eBay. I already have a nice stack of hu cards tho. :)

Last edited:

samaron

Country
Norway
Region
Rogaland
No problem, steve. It is true that the great games does cost a bit, especially with the obi spine. If you are patient, you can always find the games at decent prices. The best is to have a contact in Japan that can check out the retro game stores and pick up games, a lot cheaper usually. :)

The real issue with burning these CDs is finding a CD-ROM burner that actually does 1x. Modern burners doesn't do that anymore. I'm using an old SCSI 2x CD-ROM burner from 1997.

Highly recommend Castlevania Dracula X for it. Double Dragon is also a really cool beat 'em up for the system. The real benefit with the CD-ROM is the high audio quality.

Which system card did you get with it? Version 3.0 is the latest one and the most recommended at it supports all CD-ROM and Super CD-ROM games. Lower version probably isn't compatible with Super CD games. It is also a seperate firmware card for those CD games called Arcade CD-ROM.

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
I played on this today at Steves and can confirm it's awesomeness ;) nice find mate but you really need to use it with the PC Engine in my opinion, just so it matches lol

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Nice find Steve,
I cant help but think of the CD32 when I look at it , a sexy multi-coloured one though :)

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
So I went to use it for the 3rd time and no longer reads Disc's :(

Just makes a humming noise, I guess this is the middle gear issue? It was making some weird grinding noise the second time I used it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep - middle gear is broken.

20150406_122103.jpg

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Just ordered a replacement middle gear, so waiting for that. Hopefully it's not too fiddly to replace, the old one should come out easy as it's broken in two!

Top Bottom