I wonder..

Lechuck

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
I have been thinking about this for quite sometime now and I would like
to share it with you..I have been dealing with computers for 18 years
now , started playing with games and then working as a systems administrator,still doing both :D and I have to wonder:

Are we just geeks :wooha:, people with no social life whatsoever :coffee: , or it is
just a passion from childhood that we cannot seem to apart?Why do
we spend so much time and money into computing general?Have
we still not grown up , do we neglect our friends and family by spending so much time with computers and where in ZEUS do we find the money
to keep on spending?Do we have such well paid jobs?

I would like to point out that this is clearly my thought and I would not want to offend anyone.I would just like your opinion about this.

As far as me is concerned I consider myself to be a geek , since I spend so much time with computers , I don't have such a well paid job and
I really prefer spending money on computers than anything else..Once a
while though I have guilts and sell stuff I 've bought which I do not
actually need but then I regret it and buy it again..Is it a disease? :p

status

AmiBayer
Country
Heraklion
Region
Crete
Someone said: Turn you hobby into business and you will never have to work again.

Jon Hare

Country
Hamburg
Region
Germany
Well, it's not a shame to be addicted to Amiga/Commodore Computers. I mean...others are spending money for stamps or comics or whatever...and we just take care about that wonderful systems, that they stay alive for a long time.

I'm addicted to Amiga...that's for sure. And I love to send Amiga stuff to all over the world and making people happy. I even "recruited" new Amiga users over the years (around 30 or so). The Amiga scene needs people who are able to do that to keep the best computer of all time alive.

I just love the Amiga and I love to spend my time with and for it :)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
be careful using the term "geek" around here (sometimes it gets a fiery response) but yes i am a geek and proud of it (afterall geek is the new sheik).
i enjoy my computing, new and old.
but i do have a social life and other hobbies (does this make me a part time geek?)

anyway long may our passions continue

cheers, JuvUK

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I too am a Geek and proud of it! :) I really enjoy computing and tend to my money towards that end. I also have a life away from computers, such as friends, skydiving and riding my motorcycle, but computers are always there. :D

Retro computing is great fun for me because it reminds me of a much simpler time in computers. Computing back then was a social event because you would go to a friend's house and figure everything out together. I don't have any friends locally who I just hang out with to work on the computer. :( It makes me sad.

Heather

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
"There's nowt as queer as folk" as they say. People are strange creatures.

I go through phases, some months I spend money on model trains, some months I'll spend it on my Amigas. Sometimes I might even spend it on going out with friends.

Look at it this way, tinkering around with a classic computer is far better than sitting in front of the TV every evening. :)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
wow that's some dangerous thinking here ... just be yerselves and don't give a dime what others think... those judging could be the same ppl spending 500eur on some fancy snooty and totally ^$^%# clothes... so yeah... anyone does what they want :D

Sensi

Sensiual (©™ keropi)
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Northern Bohemia
Geek, nerd or normal and ordinary, I dont care.
99% of all people I meet every day think I am "one of them (just more perverted)," they will never get to know my real personality, just because they are not worthy. No retro-hardware at home, no mercy! :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Most folk that come out with a comment like...."oh yeah, he's okay but a bit of a geek" are usually more geekier than the person they are refering to. :roll: - These kind of people are usually just jealous that you are actually much brighter than them.

As long as it's not hurting anyone else, does it really matter what you do with your time or hobbies?

Na! (y)

Kin

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Most folk that come out with a comment like...."oh yeah, he's okay but a bit of a geek" are usually more geekier than the person they are refering to. :roll: - These kind of people are usually just jealous that you are actually much brighter than them.

As long as it's not hurting anyone else, does it really matter what you do with your time or hobbies?

Na! (y)

Kin

yes if your an Atari user!! :D (only kidding!)

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
It does seem to be that the term geek isn't accociated with a spotty greasy freak with thick glasses anymore (and a dodgy voice). It does seam they can be all walks of life nowerdays. Heck, I have seen some pretty trendy people who are into computers, though I do try and keep a social life too.

I used to find it a little offensive to be called a geek but to be honest, I probably am one. I think it's my fault for stereotyping it and even my fiancée calls me one but apparently that's "fit". :blink:

Also theres the retro thing that's apparently meant to be a bit cool too, though whether retro computers are cool aswell as general retro fashion may be another matter.

To sum up personally, I can't deny i'm a geek, don't know if i'm happy about it or not but if the world is ok with it then so am I. :)

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Well, geek or no geek to the outside world, I don't care :LOL:
If they like like to talk about computers with me, either pc or Amiga or whatever, ok.
If not, also ok, my horizon isn't limited to computers.

As if geeks are always behind a computer :roll:
So stereotyping is probably the thing as tokyoracer said.
Why do people always have that image of us ?

Besides, who doesn't have a computer anymore ?
Even older people have one, but you won't hear anyone call them geeks.

Lechuck

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
So , I ended up making an interesting thread right?

I am really glad....geekly glad :D

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm addicted to computers ..... well, to be exact, I'm addicted to Amiga as that's when it all started for me (yeah, I had an Amstrad CPC and a Commodore C16 before that, but they didn't HOOK me like my A500+ did)
I also have the same addiction for 16-bit (and later) Acorn (Acorn Archimedes & Acorn RISC-PC mostly)

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I collect Transformers toys, both vintage and new. I collect retro computers. I have a huge amount of comics. I upgrade my PeeCee rig more or less regularly. Yeah, I guess I am a geek. :D

Top Bottom