IC Socket Question

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hello all you electronics braniacs. :) I hope someone can answer this question for me. I'm trying to find out what these types of IC sockets are called. The pins have a thick part at the top then become smaller below. I need to find some sockets like this to fix a small board that I have. The thick part of the pin is soldered to the board then the board plugs into another socket with the small parts of the pins.

Also, how do I measure a socket to find out the type I need?

Thanks!

Heather
h.800,s.1,w.800,yajmikura.true,m.aaee88e3e11ec711e1cc81e485f5e1ba,1956,hrics_16.jpg

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
SdG, these look like machined sockets. The pins tend to be a little fragile. I'll look and see if I can find a link to a source if no one else has any to mention here...

JD6

Country
Czech Republic
Region
Central Bohemia
In some ebay auction I've found some parameters:
PinLength: 7.40mm
Pitch: 2.54mm
SIZE: 10.2mm X 20.5mm

Just try to search this: "16 pin socket"

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
This is a 0.1" (2.54mm) pitch machine turned gold plated 16pin DIP socket =)

to measure the sock that you need (or pitch) use a ruler and measure the space between the sockets on top and not the pins underneath.

DIP/DIL: Dual Inline Package (IC Sockets)
SIP/SIL: Single In-Line (SIL socket strips / headers connectors/ resistors etc)
ZIP/ZIF: Zero Insertion Force Packages

You might need longer leads on the socket to achieve what you describe as the the thickness of the PCB is likely to get in the way.

I am just cooking dinner for the girls and then I shall have a look on Farnell / Digikey for the part you need.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Heather

These are turned pin DIL sockets...

What I recomend is to pickup some strips of turned pin sockets which you can then snap off to create any size DIL or ZIP socket you may need

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2677416

For a piccy & specs.

It's the only way to go really for true flexibility, always worth having a few of these in your component Box

I used some last night to create a 40 Pin DIL socket for a Z80 CPU replacement.

TC :D

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
SdG

I think this is the socket you are looking for, assuming that it's 16 pin as shown in your picture. These are listed as machined, machine tooled, or tooled sockets on Jameco's site (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_37402_-1). Hope this helps. They have several other pin configurations if needed.

@TC

Good idea about the strips if the ones she needs are an odd width.

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I figured it might be better to show you the actual device I want to replace the sockets on. As you can see by the picture, the socket is soldered to the board but the pins from the socket pass through to be plugged in where the chip used to be. Multiple pins are broke off the device so I need to replace the socket.

Thanks,

Heather

Attachments

• SDC11263.jpg
    SDC11263.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC11271.jpg
    SDC11271.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 0

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
That is a C128 64K VRAM upgrade board I believe :nod:

Sweety you don't really need it, just replace the 2 onboard 4416 DRAMS with 4464 DRAMS...
They are Pin compatible and a common hack;)

TC :)

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
The pins on the sockets from Jameco show only 2.85 mm from the point where they rest on the pad of the PCB through the hole. If previous post is correct about simply changing the chips, that might be a better option. The datasheet from Jameco's site shows all the dimensions, though.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
That is a C128 64K VRAM upgrade board I believe :nod:

Sweety you don't really need it, just replace the 2 onboard 4416 DRAMS with 4464 DRAMS...
They are Pin compatible and a common hack;)

TC :)

You old smoothie, you; if I give you a red-hot poker, will you sign my chest....???

:rofl3

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
@TC

Nice manual. So the holes go all the way through. No wonder the soldering and profile looked odd.

@Merlin

I think someone needs to wash his mind out with soap and water.:roll:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
*cough*

OK, as long as TC puts the shovel down as well.......:LOL:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Erm, what's a braniac? :blink:
Someone who is VERY regular. :)

@Bas

Yep! It is a 64K Video upgrade. I know I don't need it, but I want to resurrect it because it is a neat little device and it will give me some de-soldering practice too. :) I think I found the replacement socket that I need:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_42059_-1

I'll have to do some measurements to make sure it will work. Maybe the pass-through pin type is what they call soldertail? It's still a little confusing.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Heather

Top Bottom