Icon Info

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Hi all

I have a 2000 with a gvp A2000 HC+8 series 2 with 4 meg,KS-3.1,WB3.1 my problem is I can't access the the CD0: Icon to change the device and unit #.

Anyhelp would be great..

Chris

:nuts:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hi all

I have a 2000 with a gvp A2000 HC+8 series 2 with 4 meg,KS-3.1,WB3.1 my problem is I can't access the the CD0: Icon to change the device and unit #.

Anyhelp would be great..

Chris

:nuts:

Where are you looking for it? It should be in SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers -- If it's not got an icon (only shows up with 'Show all files' and looks like a hammer) then you'll need to create one for it.

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
If I recall correctly, WB3.1 doesn't have a cd-rom file system by default. You need to install asim cdfs or cachecdfs first. Then the icon for CD0: will be in devs/dosdrivers as Andy mentioned.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Workbench 3.1 does have a CD filesystem (albeit a rather shonky one) The CD0 Dosdriver file lives on the Storage disk, and will need copied to your Workbench disk to be usable. I think the rest of it (L:CDFileSystem and Devs:CD.device etc) are already on the Workbench disk.

It's a bit poo, but if you're just trying to prove it all works, or install Workbench 3.5/3.9, it's good enough.

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
Im using AmiCDFS with Workbench 3.1 on my A2000 and its sensational.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Well I got the icon info to work so i'm using the built in system for now but here's how I got it to work..

I made a folder called holding moved copyed the icon there deleted the old one and then just used pull down info and made the changes DEVICE=gvpscsi.device and ID=6 and saved it copyed it back to Dev and double clicked it and now I have external CD-Rom now the disk will not eject
So I power it of and then back on and press the eject right away and i'm ready for another disk...

This CD drive is a Apple scsi external god I hate those caddys...lol
And thanks for all the help guys..

Chris :coffee:

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Install a reliable CD file system instead the crippled one built-in on 3.1 and you are good to go. AmiCDFS or the one from IDEFix97 (both available on Aminet) and you'll have a perfect working CD/DVD system.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Yeah I know the stock one sucks but I just needed to get it working so now I
can get files to the amiga alot easer now not limited to a 720k disk now..

Also found out not to boot up with a cd-rom in the system thinks it's a fixed
disk boot up with out it and it ejects fine everytime..

Also the CD system in 3.9 is better right??

Chris :help:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Yeah I know the stock one sucks but I just needed to get it working so now I
can get files to the amiga alot easer now not limited to a 720k disk now..

Also found out not to boot up with a cd-rom in the system thinks it's a fixed
disk boot up with out it and it ejects fine everytime..

Also the CD system in 3.9 is better right??

Chris :help:

CacheCDFS comes with 3.5 and 3.9 and is far superior. It can also be installed on a 3.1 system. I had similar issues with disk ejection on the 3.1 CDFS, but as you say, it works well enough to copy some files across and/or install 3.5/3.9 from CD.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
So 3.9 will work well on a Plain Jane 2000 with just the 68000??

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
So 3.9 will work well on a Plain Jane 2000 with just the 68000??

3.5 and 3.9 have a minimum CPU requirement of an '020 and 4MB and 6MB FastRAM respectively. You can however install the CDFS from the 3.5 CD on to a 3.1 system.

That said, I've pulled the accelerator out of my A2000 and the Workbench 3.5 install still boots on a 68000 with 1MB Chip and no fast. You can't really do anything with it, but it's kinda cute that it still actually boots!

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
So i'll just hold of installing it till I get a 030 or 040 card..and now she's working pretty good time for bed 5am here..

Chris:nuts:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A guy from here installed OS3.9 on his A600 - 2Mb Chip & no FAST at all. ROM 3.1, of course.

Just the Amidock will not work (it is the only 020+ program on 3.9), and the OS is a RAM eater with all the eye-candy it have.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Yeah thats the basic it will take to run 3.9 I went to the site JuvUK posted..

Top Bottom