Image Resizing Software

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a great image resizing application that I use. It's called VSO Image Resizer. This application is super easy to use and it batch converts your images to a smaller size before posting them to a web site or forum. :)

This software has many great features, but one of the best that I like is that it keeps all your digital camera's metadata in the resized image. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Oh, did I mention it's totally free? (y)

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Take care,

Heather

Peter

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Kent
Just been having a play with this - it's great - I've been looking for something like this for ages!!!!

Thanks Heather!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Glad you like it, Peter. :D

I really like how lightweight it is as well. The installer is only 7MB! In an age of bloated software, it's great to see nice, small apps like this.

Heather

Peter

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Kent
I need a shave but my cat Freddie looks happy!
A quick little picture!

Attachments

• IMGP3731 [iPod Photo].JPG
    IMGP3731 [iPod Photo].JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 0

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Awww!!! How cute! :thumbsup2:

Oh! Look, there's a cat in the picture too! :p

Heather

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Personally, for batch converting I use XNview.
When it comes to working on a single pic, I prefer to take the individual approach and resize/center/compress it using Paint.NET
Both are free too.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Thanks for that Heather. That's something I've been meaning to get for ages and only remember when I have a few pics to resize and end up using Photoshop! I've got this now and you're right - excellent wee tool. Good tip Heather :)

John

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I use Lightroom and photoshop. I would recommend http://www.irfanview.com/

I will give it a trie Heather, rather strange it supports nef since it is closed format.

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

It is not free it gives a nag screen:(

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I use ImageMagick

yes yes.. it's command based :)
I have no idea how it runs on windows..
but works perfectly on Unix/Linix ;-)

and it's free and open source ;-)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

irfanview is a great free tool for image resizing, changing image formats, compression etc. It has a lot of features to manipulate and alter images. It can also batch convert whole directories quickly.

It is also free, small and lightweight. Its also handy as an image viewer as it supports a lot of formats. And also when viewing images, you have all the programs options available if you need to correct or alter something.

I sometimes use this rather than photoshop, as it is faster than needing to setup an action in photoshop that can then be used to auto batch convert a series of images.

On the commercial side, Adobe Lightroom is one of the best options for image management, as it is non destructive. You can work on your images, resizing them, altering their contrast, brightness etc, remove red eye... whatever you wish, and the original images are never altered. All is saved as data in the program. So you can alter your images and then export the changed images to a new directory, without effecting the originals. Very nice.

dibs

Danger!! Mines!!
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Guildford

irfanview is a great free tool for image resizing, changing image formats, compression etc. It has a lot of features to manipulate and alter images. It can also batch convert whole directories quickly.

It is also free, small and lightweight. Its also handy as an image viewer as it supports a lot of formats. And also when viewing images, you have all the programs options available if you need to correct or alter something.....

...and Irfanview also supports ILBM IFF images :)

BeelzebubUK

Country
UK
Region
Milton Keynes
I just found this software for Windows 7 as the Microsoft powertoys version which I used to use only works with Windows XP :

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

352K installer. It intergrates with explorer, resize multiple files and it also preserves camera details.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
If you use linux the best tool is called convert, command line driven:

http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_convert.htm

Which is part of the ImageMagick package ;-)
only a select part of the linux dists come with this preinstalled, like ubuntu.
Sorry I never saw your post. Seems ImageMagick would be the best part of Ubuntu (y)

oh.. don't open pandoras box :LOL: I can rant on the good things of ubuntu (y)
well for my part it's their software repository and their update engine (taken from debian ofc :), having tried other *nix where many times you'll have to compile yourself is a pain of wait.

well back to subj: Many digital cameras come with software that also have batch resize capability, I have Adobe Elements 2.0 from my old camera.

oh, and one more thing about ImageMagick, it also keeps the EXIF info like most other softwares, it also keeps the aspect ratio, like if you have a size of 1000x900 and want to resize it as an avatar that is 100px wide, you just write 100 for conversion and leave out the height result = 100x90

afaik if you have pictures taken with a camera that has a gyro or something to know how the camera is turned (portrait/landscape) it's saved as an EXIF parameter, and ImageMagick can rotate the picture properly for you.

Top Bottom