Indivision AGA - normal behaviour?

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
So, I finally got to fitting the Invdision that I bought last month yesterday. Took a while as when I broke the seal on the 1200 and opened it up, not surprisingly I found a couple of the caps had leaked so I first replaced them all.

Anyway, I've raised a ticket with Amigakit on this so I'm hoping it will be sorted by them, I'm just wondering if they're all like this!

2 things...

Firstly, and most fundamentally, the DVI cable isn't long enough to reach the space where the backplate goes (which I also bought from them). Well, it will technically reach, but the cable is so tight you can barely get it to go square and there certainly isn't enough give to route it around the floppy power header. I know this because I tried to fit it, nice and tight like that and it just pulled the mounting holes clean out of the backplate, so that's now broken.

Anyone else had this???

For now then the DVI cable just pokes out the back of the hole with no mounting.

So, the other thing - this puppy gets seriously hot and I notice that the Lisa chip starts to produce artefacts if I attempt to go any higher than Pal High Res which is a little disappointing as I was hoping to manage Pal High Res Interlaced. It's probably not helped by the fact that my 2.5" PATA HDD is sat right on top of the Indivision (don't worry, it's plastic!), but it's not like there's anywhere else to put the HDD.

Again, does this sound normal?

Those things aside, with the Indivision and the ACA1233 this is a cracking setup :)

Ta,
Martin.

voyager_1701e

Country
Australia
Region
Maitland, NSW
Hi Martin
I too had a 1200 with indi and perfect operation below high Res. At high res (sorry I can't recall which resolution) but got graphic glitches all over. I fitted a small fan over the 4 holes in the indi and haven't had any glitches afterwards (machine is now sold but ran for hours without issue with the fan fitted)

Can't help with the cable issue though...sorry

Last edited:

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
OK, doesn't sound like it's just me then. Sounds like a plan to get a small fan, as silent as possible and fit it. I will need to reposition the HDD somewhere but I guess I can sort something out on that with a longer cable...

Thank you.

Oh, the DVI cable, at the end of the day I hope Amigakit will resolve. That's a pretty simple, yet fundamental issue!

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Martin, your motherboard may need a modification, if you can replace a cap then you can do this mod very easily.
Will talk with you about it tomorrow ;)

TC :)

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Firstly, and most fundamentally, the DVI cable isn't long enough to reach the space where the backplate goes (which I also bought from them). Well, it will technically reach, but the cable is so tight you can barely get it to go square and there certainly isn't enough give to route it around the floppy power header. I know this because I tried to fit it, nice and tight like that and it just pulled the mounting holes clean out of the backplate, so that's now broken.

Anyone else had this???

For now then the DVI cable just pokes out the back of the hole with no mounting.

Yup. Mine was the same, I cut a hole in the back plate since leaving it dangling was going to end up getting it broken.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?60870-Frankenmiga-1200-update

So, the other thing - this puppy gets seriously hot and I notice that the Lisa chip starts to produce artefacts if I attempt to go any higher than Pal High Res which is a little disappointing as I was hoping to manage Pal High Res Interlaced. It's probably not helped by the fact that my 2.5" PATA HDD is sat right on top of the Indivision (don't worry, it's plastic!), but it's not like there's anywhere else to put the HDD.

Again, does this sound normal?

Those things aside, with the Indivision and the ACA1233 this is a cracking setup :)

Ta,
Martin.

Mine doesn't seem to get hot.

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
Martin, your motherboard may need a modification, if you can replace a cap then you can do this mod very easily.
Will talk with you about it tomorrow ;)

Cool - I'll put it in the boot. May as well, there will be other stuff coming. I'm expecting the GBA1000 back any moment. I need to do the timing fixes for the ACA1233 but when I looked last night they involved add stuff, not just taking it away and it was too late to go looking to see if I have any of the relevant parts left over from the GBA build. If they don't happen to be the same value caps and resistors then I'll have to order them in as I don't have very much in the way of SMT to hand. All my stuff is arcade game related and therefore mostly 30 year old through hole.

Yup. Mine was the same, I cut a hole in the back plate since leaving it dangling was going to end up getting it broken.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?60870-Frankenmiga-1200-update

Mine doesn't seem to get hot.

Wow. I'm not sure I've got enough cable length to do anything as tidy as that! And you've got your RF cage back on again as well. When I looked it would have completely shorted the flicker fixer out. I read the note in the instructions about modifying the shield and I assumed it meant to cut a big hole in it. My skills in that department are lacking to say the least so I did not put the shield back on :)

MartinW

Country
UK
Region
West Somerset
I purchased the backplate with the Indivision and it was utter rubbish I'm afraid. The cable was so tight that when I tried to do it all up the DVI plug was just pulled clean out of the backplate (which seems to be made of soft plastic) and it left the backplate rendered completely useless and ready for the bin because of the now enlarged holes :(

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I had the same issue with mine. That's why it ended up on the outside of the plate. And don't try too hard to whittle the blue plastic off of the end to get it to fit. I trimmed the ears back to be able to screw it down from the inside and nicked the shield (no harm done, but obviously I couldn't go any further with the whittling).

So I got one of these:

DVI Connecter.jpg

with the intent of straightening the pins and pulling the white plastic piece off (and throwing it away). Then make up a new cable that tied directly onto the pins and feed the connector through the hole and mount it from the outside. I plan on making a new cable, that way I will have the old part to go back to if this one doesn't work out.

Top Bottom