Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi!

I'm thinking of getting an Indi ECS for my A600 but I know that it does not fit with the Floppy Drive in place. This is a problem for me as I still play games from Floppy.

Is there no way you can mount the Indivision somewhere else if you run cables to the clockport socket instead of plugging the indivision striaght into the A603?

As I say I really want to keep my floppy drive and would like an Indivision ECS on this little fella.

Steve. :cool:

Seaside

AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Steve i think for the A600 the best solution is the external device.

And besides this you can use it for all Amiga's

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

I think for LCD screen though the Indivision will be better?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
External disk drive not an option Steve? I am sure you can boot from one. Or is that just the A1200

Yes you can, but for most games you need to make a hack to the motherboard for the external drive to show as DF0 - however that is something I'd consider as a last resort.

I think for LCD screen though the Indivision will be better?

Yeah but you need to buy the 1MB ram expansion (indivision) + the indivision ECS + remove the floppy.

A lot of trouble.

Yep, I intend to get an A603 & Indi ECS at some point but I really don't want to loose the FDD, must be a way to wire the Indi ECS up away from the FDD area :butcher

Trouble = Fun (y)

Seaside

AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Check out Mario's (mfilos) A600 project carefully to see where the Indivision collides.

I think you will see there if you have enough room to extend the ECS. I mean between the system and Upper cover.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Steve'o

Is there no way you can mount the Indivision somewhere else if you run cables to the clockport socket instead of plugging the indivision striaght into the A603?

I have an A603 here and had similar thoughts on how to - rearange its location.

It would be possible to use a 48pin port as a plug with about 6cms of 28-30AWG (single core wire) - (just enough to move it back out of the way of the FDD

I wont lie - its a lot of soldering (as thats 48 x2 for each end ) and it will invalidate any warranty currently on the hardware.

If you need to got more than 6cm then you will quite likey need some type of signal voltage "pull up" - this may need reading some spec's as its not somthing I would want to guess with.

Going long than 6cms and you may also need some level of RF shielding - perhaps ferrite core(s) or clamps this will reduce the RF Pickup that the wire does.

To be honest my friend it might be an idea to discuss this with Jens, hes an aproachable fellow - as long as you let him know that you wont hold him responsible for any problems that may occur he maybe able to best help =)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks Mr Zee, I got scared just reading that - sounds like external DF0 is the way forward then :cool:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
OR

modify a Slim-Line Drive =D

I has one you can have - you will need to get a ribbon cable for it (I can help your source one) and PCFDD Adapter from Stedy's site -

(if you hold on for a mo - he is making a PC-HD-FDD Adapter capable of 880k / 1.76MB Amiga - AND 720K/1.44MB PC disks too)

Here is something similar

IBM THINKPAD T20 T21 A R X FLOPPY DRIVE £5.45 (ebay.co.uk Buy It Now)

Now, the one I have here is slightly thinner - about the thickness of 3 floppy disks and requires a specific ZIF cable to 34pin Female FDD cable

Its also important to note that the eject mechanism is on the top (not the bottom) - however this mechanical issue could be overcome with some creative thinking =D

Anyway I have about 20 of these drives - so if you would like one its FOC - just promise lots of pictures of hardware pr0n =D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks for the tip, thats certainly an interesting way round the problem.

I think I'll get the Indi in my hand and see for myself what the situation is inside the case.

If anyones reading in the sale section I've got a Blizzard SCSI Kit for 1230IV/1240/1260 I'd happily swap that for an Indi ECS :cool:

Steve.

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Check the tread I started some time ago here: https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=5648

Sadly even the slim Floppy drive that Z suggests can't fit inside the A600 with A603+Indivision ECS.
The only way of fitting a floppy inside, is as Z said, arranging it elsewhere via MANY soldering wires.

As I see it... External DF1 or DF0 with "the cutting trace" hack (mentioned in the same thread) is your way to go

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Check the tread I started some time ago here: https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=5648

Sadly even the slim Floppy drive that Z suggests can't fit inside the A600 with A603+Indivision ECS.
The only way of fitting a floppy inside, is as Z said, arranging it elsewhere via MANY soldering wires.

As I see it... External DF1 or DF0 with "the cutting trace" hack (mentioned in the same thread) is your way to go

Thanks Marios, I remember your thread now :cool:

I guess external FD is the way forward. I think I'll finish my other projects and move onto this after :D

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
I was wondering about this as well! I would also like to get the 603 board and the Indivision - but I would like to keep the floppy, for the old skool feel of it..:)

I thought about moving the original floppy drive externally extending the data port and powering the floppy externally - but simply tricking the Amiga into using DF1 as a DFO is probably the way forward and more of a elegant solution

I must admit I love these threads and the creative solutions people come up with to make some incredible Amigas (y)

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Good solution would be to replace the FDD by a SD floppy emulator to keep everything inside the case.

I would do that with mine but unfortunately i have one more problem to overcome as the Indivision/A603 can't be fitted with my Apollo 630.

Top Bottom