salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Well, the time has come for me to do something about this subject...
I know there's been a few members over here that have actually got some experience on the AMIX front, so maybe i can get some answers!
Last week i got this thingie:
http://www.amigahellas.gr/uploads/newbb/292_4cc825fbcf96c.jpg
http://www.amigahellas.gr/uploads/newbb/292_4cc82613a3b37.jpg
It's not an A3070, but very much "related" to it. :)
It actually is the Caliper drive that Commodore used with the A3070, but the whole assembly is a "Caliper-Caliper" thing.:D
Anyway, thanks to Skilgannon, i also got myself some DC tapes, of the 250MB capacity. They're brand new (sealed) I know the AMIX wiki mentions the 150MB tapes, but reading around i found that the drive can also read the 250 ones.
The wiki has instructions for creating an install tape, but that would require an already existing AMIX-installed machine (either normally-installed, or through the hd image). Is there any other easy (maybe easier is the correct word) to create the install tape?
Is it otherwise possible for anyone having a working setup to make me an installation tape in case i don't manage? I can send out a couple of them brand-new tapes, one for my transfer, and one for the one who helps to keep!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. (y)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Last night i had a little go on the Amix front. I actually downloaded a 1.1 image of a hard disk setup (ready-made installation) from the AMIX wiki.
Followed the instructions, and had the image dd'd to an empty 800MB SCSI drive. This was done using the Blizzard 1230 scsi module, and reported no errors on the dump. Took the drive over to the A3000, and tried to boot.
Nothing on the Unix part.. However, it appears that the image was actually a 5-partition setup, including a Wb 1.3 installation, a Wb 2.0 installation, a Work partition, and two Unixoid partitions.
The first Unix partition is the Unix_boot 2MB in size, and the second one is the Unix_swap partition of 20MB. While starting the machine, if i enter the early startup screen, i get a selection of all 3 OSes. Selecting Unix boots to a black screen, nothing goes on. Selecting any of the other two boots normally to the Workbench. Strangely, the 2.0 installation opens an output window reporting internet boot failed! It seeks a network adapter.
Seeing that, i plugged in the 2065 nic, and while 2.0 boots, it reports that it couldn't connect to host. However, the reason i plugged the 2065 was not for the 2.0 installation, i just thought that maybe it was required by the Unix OS in order to boot. But nothing changed.
Has anyone tried this before?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
My friend, the Amix is very picky on which machine it will work. You need a very naked machine with only the original 030, some fast RAM, three mouse button and nothing else, IIRC.

Remember that Unix is very user-friendly: it is just way too picky on what they friends are.

Using a 16MHz machine for the 25MHz version may suffice to make it not work at all, and vice-versa.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Rogerio, this is a pretty stock A3000. Onboard 030@25, 2MB chip, 8MB fast.
The disk is plugged on the onboard SCSI, although i even tried the 2091 but to no avail..

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
It's a little fiddly, but try the HD hack installation for 2.01. I got that working, quite perfectly actually.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
By any chance you have a SCSI tape streamer on that machine?

Amix may require it to work or the device is mounted on the installation you have.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Rogerio, although i do have a SCSI streamer, the 1.1 disk image scenario has no need for it. What it is, is a hard disk image, which you're supposed to dump to an empty drive, power on, and presto! But this is not the case it seems..
The tape streamer would only be useful if i was to create installation tapes, or just stay there for backup purposes. Nevertheless, at the moment things are a bit "flakey" with the A3000. She seems to have become stubborn again, which means she doesn't like to boot at all. :( I'll update the status on my other (restoration) thread soon.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If you get messages please post them as well..I have been using linux as second os since suse 6.long time ago.. it is rather thechnical but you better read before..I am sitting down and hoping adobe starts porting so I do can loose winblows lol:

Top Bottom