Installing new GVP 4060DT card

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Hello everyone. I got my 4060DT card yesterday. Unfortunately, even to the surprise of Joe at Software Hut, I don't have a settings guide for the jumpers for everything. I have, through fiddling gotten the card now to boot to the insert disk screen and I had previously installed the 4060 drivers before pulling my 3640 card, so I think I can boot to the Hard Drive now. The question is, are the jumpers for the clocks both supposed to be set to internal? That's what I have it set at to work, but I just don't see how that would work. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Nathan

masheen

Country
Sweden
Region
Uppsala
Re: Installing new GVP 4060DT card

Hi Nathan.

If you're talking about the clocksource jumpers on the motherboard I'd say it's probably fine with them both on INT, a Cyberstorm mk2 uses that for example. (this really threw me off once until I read the manual correctly)

/masheen

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately something on the poor A4000 Motherboard finally gave up the ghost today. It died and wouldn't boot afterwards. I took the board to a Mr. Ed Jeffries(sp?) who does Amiga repairs in the US (very pricey, but I'm desperate. Took a look in his shop today when I dropped my machine off, thought I'd died and gone to heaven :) He had at least one of every Amiga ever made set up somewhere in his shop. He even had an A4000 Prototype board, and it worked, mostly. He was refurbishing an A4000T that the case looked mint on. So very nice. :drool: ) I think it's very interesting that the only company that I can find in the US that fixes Amiga products is located 6 blocks from where I work. I'll let everyone know what the quality of his work is when I receive my A4000 back.

Nathan

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Got my A4000 back today. It looks like what I would expect a new A4000 Motherboard to look like. It's absolutely clean. I would take some pictures but the camera is on the fritz :pissed: !! Everything works now including the clock which he replace the battery with a Lithium Ion battery of the coin type, and he also charged me approximately half of what he quoted. Ed Jeffries is a very nice man, and he is very good at fixing Amiga computers, if you are in the US and you are concerned about shipping across the pond to have your Amiga fixed, I recommend giving him a call. His prices are higher than the gentleman in New Zealand, but for me this was right up the street (literally) from where I work, so there isn't a three week wait before him getting the system, and then how long it takes to fix. I felt it was worth the extra cost.

Nathan

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

So now the GVP accelerator runs?

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

It did, but the motherboard stopped working again, the same black screen issue. I took it back to Ed Jeffries and he is going to fix it and find out what's wrong. I don't know maybe it has something to do with the clock crystal. I did speed test it before it failed. I think it was 70MIPs which is like 3 or 4 times what my 40 runs. I'll post more on it when I get it back.

Nathan

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

Nathanieltolbert said:
It did, but the motherboard stopped working again, the same black screen issue. I took it back to Ed Jeffries and he is going to fix it and find out what's wrong. I don't know maybe it has something to do with the clock crystal. I did speed test it before it failed. I think it was 70MIPs which is like 3 or 4 times what my 40 runs. I'll post more on it when I get it back.

Nathan

70mips :drool: :drool: :drool: I wish i had this speed in my A2000 as i have a toccata sound card inside but cannot use it to play mp3's via AHI as i only have an 030 running @5.5mips. :sigh: I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of your mobo.

Cheers

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Softwarehut was selling 2060 cards too. I don't know if they still have any, but you would probably get really good speed from them as well. I've seen a 060 accelerator card on evilbay recently too. I don't know how fast they are, but wouldn't hurt to check. Back on topic - Okay the card I bought says it's a 50Mhz card, and I'm looking at the various sites, and as far as I can tell, that chip can't reach 70MIPS. So the question I have is, did I do the test wrong?

Nathan

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Machine fixed again, 060 card verified running with OS3.9. Ed didn't charge me for it because I'm buying an A600 and a Sunrise sound card from him. He has a very nice collection of Amigas. I wish I had the money to purchase that A4000T full Video Toaster system (even has the external SCSI Hard drive array!!!) he has, but I don't think I could come up with enough. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Nathan

Top Bottom