Introducing myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

trmatthe

Country
West Midlands, UK
Hi all,

I just registered so wanted to introduce myself. I got my first Amiga (A500 :wink:) back in '89 and spent a good few years on it before leaving it behind for a PC - I went to Uni and was forced into it :shock:.

I finessed my coding skills first learnt on the Video Genie and Spectrum, initially with Amos and then 68k with DevPac3. I also upgraded it quite a few times but didn't get any electronics skills until much later; I remember with trepidation waiting for my Dad to fit the 2.04 KS ROMS.

My main hobby now is collecting, restoring and fixing arcade games. I'm more into the electronics side than the game playing - I just don't have the coordination. And that brings me to my reason for getting back into the hobby. Last weekend I picked up a pair of Virtuality CS-1000 units. As you may know these are early Virtual Reality devices which run primarily on Amiga 3000s along with some custom hardware. Sadly both Amigas had suffered quite badly from RTC battery leakage. I've neutralised the leak and have just extracted the first A3K. I'm wiring a lead to connect it to my arcade test rig (which is a german 1084S screen) to see how dead it is. I scoped out the DSUB23 last night and saw clock and sync, so I'm hoping it's not totally dead.

Anyway, that's about it. I'll be looking for some A3K motherboards I'm sure, so I'll see you in the wanted section later!

cheers,
tim

ps I'm going to photograph and record the whole restoration process, so I'll post an URL later this weekend as I get started.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: Introducing myself

Hi trmatthe & welcome to AmiBay. This fest you have up your sleeve will be right up Zetr0s "Runny Honey" slot. :mrgreen:

RE: your Restoration project: - I'd recommend you start a thread in the "Photo Booth" Section! :wink:

Very Best to you,

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Re: Introducing myself

That sounds like a great project you are undertaking. I would love to get my hands on a Virtuality CS-1000 unit. There is an old page about the system http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/virtuality.html if you are interested.

If you do find the motherboard to be dead then you can still often find A3000's being sold so you should be able to source replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom