Introducing myself

ChrisG

Country
Germany
Region
Near Frankfurt
My name is Chris. I live Germany, near Frankfurt.
I got my first Amiga in 1990, so I was a little late to experience first hand the magical time when the Amiga brought to people's homes what until then only graphics workstations could do. By the time I got experienced enough to do something useful with my Amiga, most people had already switched to other systems. Ultimately I had to follow them.
While I still enjoy following the latest developments in computer graphics, there has been, in recent years, a certain dissatisfaction on my part with the general direction that things go: I used to like pixel art à la Jim Sachs, Bob Stevenson, Franck Sauer. I liked plain geometry as in Elite, Virus or Carrier Command. While I can clearly some advantages of certain techniques popular today, I am in general not very fond of computer animations that feature lots of motion capturing and make excessive use of photographs as textures.
I sometimes think about why I liked the early computer games better. One reason is of course that I was younger then and still more open to what was new. But I think there's another element to it that's just as fundamental: I often liken the early computer games to board games. Things are much more about concepts and their interplay. Nobody would refuse to play a game of Risk or Monopoly today on the grounds that it looks outdated. That's not the point.
These are some ideas that populate my mind these days, and some of the reasons why I seem to be a bit of a 'retro' person.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Welcome, Chris!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Chris,

Welcome(y)

Thing is, while the C64 or Amiga were doing stuff they were ground braking, meaning, technology in a way a workmen son could afford to buy more or less:whistle: Other retro systems were also original and unique.

Noth much to say about modern hardware.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Welcome, to the desert of the real (amiga fanbois)...

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
Greetings!

You are far too sensible and insightful for these forums! ;)

Welcome aboard!

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
heh

well you didn't see the rest of my post that I ended up not including since at the end of the day it would be too readily interpreted as an opinion rather than a fact.

His perception is one of simplicity. Everything being as it should be measured and adequate.

In todays world people allow themselves to live lives that are hardly simple. Alot of people try very hard to be something they are not and others are consumed by the communication overload of the internet and other areas of similair time hogging activities.

There is no balance, there is no realistic solutions to anything, there is no common sense. Hence my conclusion that his perceptions are TOO clear for the majority therefore too sensible :-D

Top Bottom