icade_main_zoom.jpg

I say no more (sorry if posted before)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Saw this on Retro-Gamer, it was an April Fools, but is actually a pretty good idea.
If there was some decent emulation software for the ipad, I would even think of buying one, just for this. :D

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Apple doesn´t allow emmulation software on their devices (iTouch, iPhone, iPad), it´s a much discussed topic. There was some guys who´d ported both C64 emulator, Mame and Scumm, but it falls under the same category as Java and Flash in the eyes of Steve Jobs.

It allows for running executable code in a vitualized environment. Code that isn´t controlled by Apple. They will not have any of that. So Steve Jobs says nooooo.

The idea is cool, but as long as Flash and and also virtualizations are banned on the Apple iPhone OS, I´m not so enthusiastic about it. I pin my hopes on a google or HP Android pad.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It would be great if it were true. Although, it wouldn't be too hard to actually build a mini arcade machine like that using a mini-itx PC and a LCD monitor. In fact, when I have more time I might just attempt such a thing.

It is also mad that they view emulation as virtualisation. Shows how paranoid they are.

The closed platform model Apple still use for all of their hardware is what continues to make me avoid it.

One other thing I hadn't realised is that the iPhone also doesn't currently support multitasking, the same as the iPad, so you can't be listening to music and composing a text at the same time? I've been able to do that on my Nokia for years! Apple have just announced that they will be introducing multitasking to the iPhone and later this year to the iPad, bigging it up as a huge new feature. Obviously this is completely down to the bad reviews the iPad got on launch due to it being completely missing from the device, and they have had to back pedal and try to announce it as an OS development, rather than the quickly bolted on addition to the OS it clearly will be.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
One other thing I hadn't realised is that the iPhone also doesn't currently support multitasking, the same as the iPad, so you can't be listening to music and composing a text at the same time?
you can do that, you just can't run non-apple software in the background before v4.

If that's bad, Window Mobile 7 gives you the same restriction. And no, windows mobile 6.5 didn't have that.

iphone os have always been an preempetive multitasking os.

Obviously this is completely down to the bad reviews the iPad got on launch due to it being completely missing from the device, and they have had to back pedal and try to announce it as an OS development, rather than the quickly bolted on addition to the OS it clearly will be.

I have yet to see one single bad review of the ipad, but I haven't been searching. The national (and the international that I've read) medias have been raving about this as the second coming for common people (with a note to geeks that it might not be their thing unless they accept the limitations)

I however can't see what I should use it for in my current lifestyle. Between my collection of computers and laptops of different vintage, and now an android phone I would probably be taken out in the yard and shot by my better half if I ever bought one. I just find the ideas like the one I posted here to be brilliant considering the low cost, impressive screen (ips, not this tn crap) and handy form factor.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Blogs (engadget and the like) has been lukewarm in their reception of the iPad. Print media has been ecstatic.

I think the reason for this is simple and cynical. If not premeditated, at least subconcious. They want to sell papers, and I don't mean today, but tomorrow using Apple E-book DRM, they want to sell digital content on the iPad. They're already having wet dreams about it.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I have yet to see one single bad review of the ipad, but I haven't been searching. The national (and the international that I've read) medias have been raving about this as the second coming for common people (with a note to geeks that it might not be their thing unless they accept the limitations)

Do you only read Apple/Mac publications?

I however can't see what I should use it for in my current lifestyle. Between my collection of computers and laptops of different vintage, and now an android phone I would probably be taken out in the yard and shot by my better half if I ever bought one. I just find the ideas like the one I posted here to be brilliant considering the low cost, impressive screen (ips, not this tn crap) and handy form factor.

Low cost? Starting at $599 this is an expensive device.

And everything else you say is the problem everyone has with the iPad. It is the usual slick, well packaged device from Apple, but it doesn't have an obvious direct market or position in the marketplace. As a pure media device to access the internet, catch up on the news, read an ebook or listen to some music or a video it has that covered, but it is equally too big to carry around with you so as an entertainment device whilst on holiday or travelling it is limited by its size. And in the home watching videos is much better on a TV and anything productivity based on a proper computer. It just doesn't have a place, except as a secondary device to a main computer.

But then, that is even limited because it doesn't allow streaming, so you can't access your music and video over your network, so you are limited by the 32GB-64GB internal storage. If it could stream media then it would be more tempting. Maybe it will be feature added in the future, as 3G and multitasking are, but for the moment this is too limiting and restricted.

And don't forget Apple also blocking all Flash and Java based code, so accessing the internet with the iPad isn't the full experience.

But with the competition releasing the HP Slate, Dell producing a 5" Google Android slate, and both Nokia and Samsung rumoured to also be developing similar products, it is well worth waiting. Opera on any of these devices will be a much faster and nicer internet browsing experience than the iPad.

The iPad is a great design, but with the usual restrictions by Apple crippling it and making it pointless to most.

One thing is certain. The competition won't be locked down like the iPad. This will be interesting for the retro emulation scene as we should see emulation ported fairly quickly, whereas Apple squashed that on the iPhone, and by proxy the iPad as well, as they view emulation as a form of virtualisation.

Top Bottom