iphone blues!!!

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
brain storming session one, lets make a phone with a big glass touch screen!
brain storming session two, oh lets make it show up every finger print!
brain storming session three, and lets make the sides curved so it falls easier!
brain storming session four, oh and lets make the back shiny so it drops with gay abandon!

brilliant!!! get it in production - well make millions Rodney! (mr jobs)

i have used my god like skills to resurrect my iphone on four occasions now, from drops to minor glances off of hard surfaces like kitchen floors!.As usual i had taken it out of the leather cover and made the mistake of using it...

its funny how it chose to slide down the arm of my sofa, hover slightly at the edge and then leap with unabashed joy as it glided down to my lovely hot ,fresh cup of coffee - ah bless. But i caught it just as it kissed the lip of my cup and thwarted its steamy descent in to nescafe hell. Of course the cost of this little misadventure is a nice crack along the centre of the screen...

So once again fitting a new digitiser to the mother sucking phone , the home button has died - so another strip down is required..

Add to this i forgot i had my ipod in my jacket pocket and dashed in to the garden after work on friday to fit a panel that had blown over in the gales..
and ....some how my ipod touch now has a cute little chip in the lower corner that im sure will spread like wild fire along the glass and the digitiser will stop working ...

and so im using a nokia now , its cheap - does little except make call and txt but survives the daily trauma of life with ease..unlike Apple products:mad:

to some up , i have ordered a full case cover for the iphone now, my leather cover is getting worn and grubby anyway...but this is it..the very last time im fixing the damn thing....more parts to order from Hong Kong!

never again.

oh hang on i need to order a digitiser for the ipod!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
be careful! Apple don't recommend using covers as they cause the glass to shatter:LOL:

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/1...oken-by-third-party-cases-apple-investigates/

brain storming session one, lets make a phone with a big glass touch screen!
brain storming session two, oh lets make it show up every finger print!
brain storming session three, and lets make the sides curved so it falls easier!
brain storming session four, oh and lets make the back shiny so it drops with gay abandon!

brilliant!!! get it in production - well make millions Rodney! (mr jobs)

i have used my god like skills to resurrect my iphone on four occasions now, from drops to minor glances off of hard surfaces like kitchen floors!.As usual i had taken it out of the leather cover and made the mistake of using it...

its funny how it chose to slide down the arm of my sofa, hover slightly at the edge and then leap with unabashed joy as it glided down to my lovely hot ,fresh cup of coffee - ah bless. But i caught it just as it kissed the lip of my cup and thwarted its steamy descent in to nescafe hell. Of course the cost of this little misadventure is a nice crack along the centre of the screen...

So once again fitting a new digitiser to the mother sucking phone , the home button has died - so another strip down is required..

Add to this i forgot i had my ipod in my jacket pocket and dashed in to the garden after work on friday to fit a panel that had blown over in the gales..
and ....some how my ipod touch now has a cute little chip in the lower corner that im sure will spread like wild fire along the glass and the digitiser will stop working ...

and so im using a nokia now , its cheap - does little except make call and txt but survives the daily trauma of life with ease..unlike Apple products:mad:

to some up , i have ordered a full case cover for the iphone now, my leather cover is getting worn and grubby anyway...but this is it..the very last time im fixing the damn thing....more parts to order from Hong Kong!

never again.

oh hang on i need to order a digitiser for the ipod!

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Things could be worse, the antenna could stop working... :whistle:

Duct tape can fix that, though!! :LOL:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
My hard drive based MP3 player is about to die and I need to buy a new device. Unfortunately, it appears that the newest iPod Touch is the best option. I just hate playing in Apple's playground. :( I would get a Zune if it were significantly less expensive than the iPod Touch, but there's not much incentive since the Zune doesn't have many apps.

What I'd really love to see is an Android based MP3 player. About the only option in that arena is the Samsung Galaxy S Tablet. It's way too expensive though.

Oh well. Maybe my old MP3 player will hold out a bit longer and I'll be able to get something other than an iPod.

Heather

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
If you dont mind something a little chunky then the Acer MP330 20GB is a no frills player. just drag and drop, no software to install. I have had the 10Gb for about 2 years now and it is faultless.

Gary

RED IMPACT

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Some bad luck there mjnurney!

I've dropped mine a few times but only ever on carpet. I agree that the back is super slippy, I put my phone on my flat top banister rail at the top of the stairs and it slid off and bounced all the way down...Lemming iPhone!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
@Heather: my princess, how about replacing the busted HD for a Compact Flash?

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
i may try the Archos 5 Internet Tablet - i like Apple products but damn there slippery suckers lol

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
If you dont mind something a little chunky then the Acer MP330 20GB is a no frills player. just drag and drop, no software to install. I have had the 10Gb for about 2 years now and it is faultless.
The main thing I use my MP3 Player for is Podcasts. I need whatever I get to be able to have a Podcast manager for it because manually keeping up with them is a big pain.

@Heather: my princess, how about replacing the busted HD for a Compact Flash?
Do you know where I can get the parts and directions for doing that? I'd love to just keep using this player and replace the HD. :)

Thanks guys!

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The HD is a common 2.5" or a 1.8" drive? All you need is the HD, an adapter to hook it to a pc and the CF with a gender changer (2.5" to CF or 1.8" to CF). Prefer to use a CF with the same size of the HD and do a disk dump from the HD to the CF.

Hook the CF to the player and that's it. As a bonus the batteries will last much more.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Or for a large capacity you could also replace a HDD with a SSD HD. I know they are still fairly expensive, but cheaper than an iPod. A 64GB SSD is about £100 now.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
My hard drive based MP3 player is about to die and I need to buy a new device. Unfortunately, it appears that the newest iPod Touch is the best option. I just hate playing in Apple's playground. :( I would get a Zune if it were significantly less expensive than the iPod Touch, but there's not much incentive since the Zune doesn't have many apps.

What I'd really love to see is an Android based MP3 player. About the only option in that arena is the Samsung Galaxy S Tablet. It's way too expensive though.

Oh well. Maybe my old MP3 player will hold out a bit longer and I'll be able to get something other than an iPod.

Heather
Heather, I would recomend waiting a bit, I am starting to see some android based No-Name tablets coming into electronics shops for way cheap. Here is a 10 inch tablet for $349.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The first of these generic tablets are very slow and the software is a default install of Android, so it hasn't had any of the additions added to it that you will see in more expensive tablets like the Galaxy Tab. I would recommend waiting until the new year as these are all just the start of the tablet market, with Eastern countries scrambling to make cheap clones of the more expensive originals. Come next year I think the market will level out and the prices will start to fall. Also these cheap tablets don't have great screens or high resolutions.

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I still use a CD walkman and it works flawlessly, I don't get this mp3/iPlop stuff... probably because I'm old fashioned and like to keep things simple :)

Sometimes I think people enjoy nuisance technology such as Apple, DRM etc... :D

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
But MP3 players are so much less hassle than CD players. No need to carry arround large discs, or any phhysical media of any type. And soldstate MP3 players have no miving parts so battery life is great, plus with tags you can navigate through the music stored on it for a nice largest portable library. 100 times better than CDs. You really should update!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I still use my Sony Walkman, with real cassette tapes on a daily basis. I still have Take That and Party on tape and it still sounds great today (y)

On a serious note, my Nokia N95 has been my trusty pal for about 3 years and I still love it to bits, works great as a phone, great for a little basic internet, plays emulators and even Quake :cool:

And the poor little fella died last week, no sign of life - now he's had a hard life so kudos for lasting so long. I bought another off ebay!

And guess what, yesterday before I put the old one away in a drawer (can't throw these things away for some reason) I just thought I'd try one more time, plugged in the charger and OMG its alive :blink:

Now I have two Nokia N95's lol

Oh and it plays MP3's too so maybe I can put that Walkman back in the drawer ;)

Steve.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Well, I ordered a ZIF to CF adapter from DealExtreme to replace the dying hard drive in my current iPod. I also decided to pick up a 160GB iPod Classic because it will store ALL my music so I don't have to pick and choose what I want to take with me. It's not solid state but it wasn't too expensive and doesn't entrench me in Apple's environment any more than I already am. I'll wait for the tablets to come down in price then I'll look into one of those. :)

Thanks guys,

Heather

Top Bottom