Is secure Paypal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crumb

AmiBayer
Country
Madrid, Spain
Hi!

I have noticed that some sellers (e.g. eBay) refuse to use paypal due to problems (scammers claiming the hardware never arrived, no possibility of getting the money in various months...) and that have made me slightly nervous with respect to selling stuff and being paid using paypal.

Have you experienced any problem with them?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: Is secure Paypal?

on a personal level, all my dealings with PayPal have been flawless, and there are a lot of dealings to be sure.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

Same here - no problems to date :)

Dave G 8)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Crumb

It may be in some cases that those that won't accept Paypal have had Paypal accounts blocked, due to dodgy Ebay activity, or they may wish to hide a history that they don't want you to find out about.

Paypal is backed by the credit or debit card you use for the transaction as well as Paypal itself, in cases of dispute; unless another form of payment has been agreed between both parties, I would walk away, as something too good to be true usually is.....

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I've had a few issues with ebay members and paypal in the past.

One example is that I purchased an item from the US and sent payment straight away via Paypal. Two months past and i still hadn't received the item I had purchased. So I contacted ebay to complain. Instead of this the seller posted a counter claim against my account stating I hadn't paid for the item! So what did ebay/paypal do? They locked my ebay account!!! Not impressed. Especially as I had paid through paypal and the transaction was clearly shown in my paypal account.

Eventually after pasting all of the related information from paypal and ebay and emailing it to them they unlocked my account, but I never did receive the item I had paid for. And to top it all the seller gave me negative feedback! The only negative feedback I've ever had on ebay.

So from this experience I don't trust the ebay/paypal complaints procedures that much. However I do trust Paypal in regard to account security.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

As a buyer you are rock solid safe with PayPal.
If an item never arrives, or is significantly different from advertised, you can claim back through eBay and PayPal.

As a seller, you MUST send your package via recorded delivery or another internet trackable delivery service you will lose your item and money if claimed against, no recourse.

Also the fees from PayPal, on top of the fees charged by eBay can get quite expensive. A small seller may weigh up the pros and cons and decide that with the fees its not worth selling via PayPal, or they could have had bad experiences being ripped off by buyers in the past, with PayPal supporting the buyer 100%.
These reasons are possible, but you will sell more, and at a better price if you offer PayPal and a money back guarantee.
Think about what gives you a warm fuzzy feeling as a buyer, and apply that to your sales.

eBay & PayPal are heavily weighted in favour of the purchaser, this is in their interest as a business as without buyers there is no business. Sellers have a huge resource with which to advertise their wares, but you will pay for that resource. As a seller unless you follow the rules to the letter, you will lose out, but the potential gains are huge. A small seller must be careful and occasionally be prepared to absorb losses which are easily accpeted by power sellers and business, but a little harder to swallow if it's half of what you are selling.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Sadly when i had my paypal issues as a buyer it was before Paypal and eBay merged and the current rules were not in place. Wish they were as I think I lost about £50 for that purchase.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Never had a Problem in 6 years!.......

...aside from their bloody cut.....

....bastards!... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.