Is the SID in my C64C broken ?

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Music and sound works fine in all games but I tried Ghostbusters and the speech where it says "GHOSTBUSTERS" is very very low.

Its a Commodore 64C

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
the later SIDs had poorer sample quality , the earlier Sids are louder and clearer ....or so I'm told. The c64C will be a late sid.

kenshigros

Country
France
Region
Saint-Tropez
Hi
yes indeed
I used to have a C64 and later a C128 and when I tried Sanxion or Dragon's Lair 2 I thought the C128 was faulty so I burried it and now I realize how stupid I was

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Thanks for the replies. Good to know there is nothing wrong. I think I have a knackered breadbin, i'll try replacing the SID with the one from that.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the replies. Good to know there is nothing wrong. I think I have a knackered breadbin, i'll try replacing the SID with the one from that.

well then you will have a dead SID.... (9v vs 12v)

Last edited:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta

well then you will have a dead SID....

Why ?

9v vs 12v

The 6581 and 8580 differ from each other in several ways. The original 6581 was manufactured using the older NMOS process, which used 12V DC to operate. The 6581 is very sensitive to static discharge and if they weren't handled properly the filters would stop working, explaining the reason of the great quantity of dead 6581's in the market. The 8580 was made using the HMOS-II process, which requires less power (9V DC)

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
you wont hurt a 6581 putting it in a c64c it just wont work properly due to filters,its the other way around you would kill it.

putting a 8580 in a breadbox for instance.

Top Bottom