Is the standard A4000D PSU sufficient?

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Just asking if the standard A4000D PSU is sufficient for any upgrades regarding hardware parts or I've to get a bigger one (if exists)?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Tbh, the stock PSU should be fine for anything upto an 060 with a fully populated ZORRO Board. I wouldn't like to comment RE: the PPC variants as I was never an OS4 Classic fan.
However, when you over-clock the CPU, things could go a bit spammy on a fully loaded rig over a period of time.

I highly recommend getting SCSI hard drives into an External box with it's own PSU to off load the PSU. SCSI & IDE hard drives will hammer any PSU to bits, particulary @ spin up time, & those few seconds of spin time is where the knackerisation happens. - S'funny; - Zeets & I were only talking about this fact @ 3am this morning. :LOL:

If you want a fully loaded A4KD & want to play safe, get as many WATTS into your PSU as you can & be sure the 5v Rail has plenty of power. This of course needs some clever hackery. I sent a beefy ATX hack into a stock A4KD PSU Chassis to Zetr0 a while back that needed finishing. I have no idea what his plans are with it, so perhaps it might be an idea to ask him if you want to go & drain your local National Grid. ;)

Kin

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I think mine is 200W (the standard PSU that A4000D had). Will be sufficient for a CyberStormPPC, CyberVisionPPC and the PicassoIV?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I can't see why not, but afair, the last of the PSU's were 145W.

I have a mint one for sale here (self-Pimpage) which came out of a Rev D A4KD.

Kin

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yes, I've seen that m8. But if I'm not mistaken, mine is 200W PSU.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Better thing to do is replace that ancient PSU guts with a mini (aka baby) ATX power supply.

Even a 300W unit will be better than the weak original unit. Thanks God the A4000 does not require the tick hack on third-part PSU replacements.:)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Yes, I've seen that m8. But if I'm not mistaken, mine is 200W PSU.

One of the things C= tried to do to reduce costs. - Check your PSU label. ;)

The one I sent to Zeets was not Mini ATX & was ~ 300W.

<snip> Thanks God the A4000 does not require the tick hack on third-part PSU replacements.:)

Amen to that. ;)

Kin

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Ok. I was wrong.

It's a SkyNet (yeah, T1000 thing:p), at 145W.

So, I'll need more power than that right?

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I'm really bleary these moments m8. Can you help me? Is my PSU sufficient then or I have to find a more powerful one?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Tbh, the stock PSU should be fine for anything upto an 060 with a fully populated ZORRO Board. I wouldn't like to comment RE: the PPC variants as I was never an OS4 Classic fan.
However, when you over-clock the CPU, things could go a bit spammy on a fully loaded rig over a period of time.

I highly recommend getting SCSI hard drives into an External box with it's own PSU to off load the PSU. SCSI & IDE hard drives will hammer any PSU to bits, particulary @ spin up time, & those few seconds of spin time is where the knackerisation happens. - S'funny; - Zeets & I were only talking about this fact @ 3am this morning. :LOL:

If you want a fully loaded A4KD & want to play safe, get as many WATTS into your PSU as you can & be sure the 5v Rail has plenty of power. This of course needs some clever hackery. I sent a beefy ATX hack into a stock A4KD PSU Chassis to Zetr0 a while back that needed finishing. I have no idea what his plans are with it, so perhaps it might be an idea to ask him if you want to go & drain your local National Grid. ;)

Kin

I think mine is 200W (the standard PSU that A4000D had). Will be sufficient for a CyberStormPPC, CyberVisionPPC and the PicassoIV?

I can't see why not, but afair, the last of the PSU's were 145W.

I have a mint one for sale here (self-Pimpage) which came out of a Rev D A4KD.

Kin

Erm....

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
With a power-hungry video card certainly you'll need a bit more "juice" to run your A4000 without issues.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
With a power-hungry video card certainly you'll need a bit more "juice" to run your A4000 without issues.

The 145W PSU I have was capable of running PPC 233/060 & CVPPC with G-REX 4000D, Z3 fastlane, Voodoo 3000 & PCI NIC no problems. ;)

Kin

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia

The 145W PSU I have was capable of running PPC 233/060 & CVPPC with G-REX 4000D, Z3 fastlane, Voodoo 3000 & PCI NIC no problems. ;)

Kin

So it seems that I'll not have problems at all.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Not all PSU's are the same m8, as in all Electrical compnents. It's very much a try it & see scenario. Add one piece of HW at a time & stress it to bits & draw your own conclusions. ;)

Kin

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
That's what I'll do m8. If I get resets at random times I know the story.(y)

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Sure, but not today I'm afraid. The cooling fan I've bought for the CyberVisionPPC it's bigger than I thought (4cm). I have to find a smaller one.

So, to sum it up, with the PicassoIV and the PPC everything is ok (regarding PSU).

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Just make sure all your additional fans are very low Amperage draw & you sholud be fine. ;)

Kin

psodas

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
@Phantom

I believe in these ancient psu who also worked hard all these years untill now, recap is a must! This of course if you know how to do it.:roll:
Also with that way, you give them many years of trouble-free working.

Top Bottom