Is there interest in creating new blank Minimig & ARM board add-on PCB's

CrazyBob

Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Hello,

Just a short introduction; A couple of months ago I've bought a Minimig with an ARM board and I really like how it works.
Especially the ARM board makes a lot of difference. Great fun (y)

I would like to build my own Minimig, solder all the part on it, building a nice case (or put it in an old laptop housing or similair).
I've found most of the parts on Ebay and Aliexpress, my guess is that the total price for all parts would be around 100 euro. (including price of the PCB's)
The only thing I haven't found yet is the SD card socket.

There are quite a lot of PCB builders located in Asia and I've found prices for both PCB's (black solder mask, ENIG finish) between 10 - 20 euro. (as a set)

I was thinking of buying 10 sets of PCB's and was wondering if there are more AmiBayers who are interested building a Minimig v1.1 with ARM v1.0 board.

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:

javidoom

Country
Spain
Region
Mainland
Hi!

I would be interested in an ARM Board, if not too expensive... I've been using mine with the pic instead, and I don't know exactly wich are the diferences...

How much would cost the ARM Board?

Thanks!
Regards.

CrazyBob

Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Hi!

These are the differences between the PIC & ARM controller I've found on the Minimig wikipedia site:

ARM Controller board upgrade:

On 2008-12-22 a replacement board that fits in the PIC (MCU) controller socket were announced.
It makes harddrive, 4x floppy disk and write support possible.
The FPGA core is the same for the new ARM and PIC firmware but only the ARM has enough resources to support four drives.
The PIC only supports two. The upgrade also allows one to select to increase the CPU speed from 7.09 to 49.63 MHz with a 4kb zero waitstate cpu cache.
But it requires an FPGA core to actually carry it out (which works with the 16 MHz 68SEC000 chips).
The harddrive support is available by a virtual A600/A1200 style GAYLE parallel ATA interface. Up to 551 kByte/s is possible with a minor hardware modification. Otherwise only ~300 kByte/s is possible.

The blank PCB would cost around 4,5 euro and the ARM board with all parts (not soldered) will cost around 20 euro. (estimate)

I will gather more information and exact pricing and if there is enough interest we can have a small production run.

Thx.

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Are the schematics/board designs freely available to do this?

CrazyBob

Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
@Ghoul, thanks for the interest, replied to PM :)

@Pghulme, yes both PCB's gerber files are free to be used and can be found on Minimig.net

@Allen1, thanks for the interest, at this moment I'm only focussing on getting the PCB's created and see if there are enough AmiBayers to join.
But let's see where we will end-up with this threat, because we all need parts.

javidoom

Country
Spain
Region
Mainland
Hi.

Thanks for the information, I would need it soldered, as I lack the skill to solder such a small chips... :(

Regards.

Top Bottom