Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo
I just can't frakking believe this ...

EMS shipments from Japan over 453 grams halted indefinitely

link 2

WHAT THE FRAK ? HOW MANY EXPLOSIVE LETTERS US RECEIVED FROM JAPAN ? THIS IS JUST INSANE ! RIDICULOUS !

And just perfect timing to leave me sitting with two packs slightly over 500 gr that I should be shipping to US ! :Doh::Doh::Doh::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I
Damion and glf, I am very sorry, I'll be shipping your stuff today, I'm examining alternatives, I may have to reduce the package contents slightly to slip under 453 grs ... :(

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I cannot see how EMS could continue to business at that level - unless its a contrived ammount.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Why doesn't every country and/or courier company simply scan every piece of international air-freight both leaving and entering their respective borders? It would then be extremely unlikely such explosive devices would slip through and this BS wouldn't even be a factor any more

Not enough staff? I'm sure some, if not most of the unemployed would relish the chance of a stable long-term job.

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, was I the only one who was trying to figure out what type of product EMS was and why you needed to ship over 453grams of it???

:)

desiv

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
OK, was I the only one who was trying to figure out what type of product EMS was and why you needed to ship over 453grams of it???
Nope. I'm still not clear on it, though thankfully whatever it is hasn't affected my new MSX ;)

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo
sorry, EMS is not a product, it's a mail service (express mail). In reality this means you cant ship ANYTHING from Japan to US which is heavier than 453 grs. Which is totally INSANE. And I dont buy this terrorism crap for a second. This seems totally a ploy from the US government to reduce trade deficit to Japan. Rather pathetic if you ask me.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
no Desiv... its not

Enhanced Modified Sarin
Educated Mutant Seabass
Endangerd Microscopic Squid

or (and I fear this is more the case)

Examplified Massive Stupidity
Extrordinary Monumental Sillyness

oh.... I could go on.... yes...... yes I could...

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
no Desiv... its not
Educated Mutant Seabass

You're sure on that one?

Whew.. Otherwise, my side business (supplying evil super villains with mutated predatory sea-animals for their giant fishtanks/pools to throw the good guys into) would be crippled..

It's tough as it is now.. With the economy the way it is, super villains just aren't ordering... I already had to substitute a few non-educated mutant seabass in the last order to cut corners... :unsure:

desiv

p.s. I'm sure it's not terrorism, but the geniuses who are trying to "fix" our ecocnomy.. :wooha:

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
sorry, EMS is not a product, it's a mail service (express mail). In reality this means you cant ship ANYTHING from Japan to US which is heavier than 453 grs.
Shit, I got my MSX just in time, then. Wonder how long it'll take before the howls of protest force them to rescind this?

(Also, +1 to the "transparently a protectivist tariff," barring any undisclosed evidence to the contrary.)

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
From the Department of Homeland inSecurity

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1289237893803.shtm

blah, blah, blah
In addition, no high risk cargo will be allowed on passenger aircraft. Toner and ink cartridges over 16 ounces will be prohibited on passenger aircraft in both carry-on bags and checked bags on domestic and international flights in-bound to the United States. This ban will also apply to certain inbound international air cargo shipments as well. Further, all cargo identified as high risk will go through additional and enhanced screening. These measures also impact inbound international mail packages, which must be screened individually and certified to have come from an established postal shipper.

Translated from :censored: to english:
Basically you can't mail anything over 16 ounces unless your a business.

The Administration is also working closely with industry and our international partners to expedite the receipt of cargo manifests for international flights to the United States prior to departure in order to identify and screen items based on risk and current intelligence.

Bureaucrats at work, please excuse the mess.
You know that item you sent last week, well please allow 30 days for delivery. HAHAHA

glf

Country
Bluffton SC, US
Region
Communist States of Amerika
The worst terrorists the U.S. *has*, are the guys that run the banks and the federal governement. They have pissed away enough in "fixes" and backward a$$ed bailouts to have *paid* a million dollars a piece to every man, woman and child of voting age ;), and I am certain- that would have been a better idea. You can't even pass a 10$ bill at a Kmart anymore that they don't check to see if it's counterfeit. But IT's *ALL* fake at this point. If the black heli's show up at my house after I post this, all you guys get to fight over my Ami gear. lol

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Blimey, looks as though the propaganda machine is fully operational! :|

Back to using dot matrix printers then with the demise of lasers/inkjets :D Woohoo, this makes me happy as I miss the dot matrix noise ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@thread

Easy on the polotics guys - I appreciate that theres a lot of frustration at the stupidity of governments (my own included) but we dont want to incite a flame war / or political rally.

@Paul

There is NO WAY i am ever going back to dot-matrix printers.... it took me years to get over the shell shock of the 90's.... I am not going to tell the ammount in therapy that cost...

..... uuggghh...... 18 unit output tracktor fed printer rooms..... uuggg..... the noise..... the failure rate..... the paper track tears!!!!!

NOOooOOoOOoOOOOoooooo

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
So, what happens in Japan when you need an ambulance and the Emergency Medical Service can't do anything for you, as the ambulance weighs just a tad over 453 grams.....?? :nuts:

I've been winding our purchasing lady up this week, as she has quite a few empty toner cartridges awaiting collection by a local charity - or is she......??? Hmm.......

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Back to using dot matrix printers then with the demise of lasers/inkjets :D Woohoo, this makes me happy as I miss the dot matrix noise ;)

Nah, thermal printers FTW!!

(as long as you don't leave the printouts near the window....) :blink:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

Nah, thermal printers FTW!!

(as long as you don't leave the printouts near the window....) :blink:

Lol I remember those I had a faulty electrical device, can't remember what it was but I do remember going to Comet or Curry's and the receipt was in the box. When I took the receipt out it was blank :blink:

They exchanged the item as a good will gesture IIRC...

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
So i guess EMS shipping to the UK will continue as normal?

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
I spose that depends on which way round the world the package gose

Top Bottom