Is this thing on ebay a scandoubler? Any techies able to tell if it'd work?

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Hello. Just found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/15Khz-RGB-CGA-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c04d58deb

(disclaimer: said auction is nowt to do with me, this is not an advert)

:-D

Just curious about it, the guy says in the listing that it's compatible with Amiga, would this make it possible to use any LCD monitor?

At $92 dollars (about 50 quid?) I'm tempted. Can't justify paying out for an Indivision AGA, but 50 quid for same difference is do-able. Or rather, the wife won't notice 50 quid as much... :-D

S

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
it would work as a 16-bit scandoubler... surelly there will be some quality loss (and if used in AGA amigas also a color loss - not that vissible though) , you get what you pay for :)
but for a more cheap solution yeah, it will work

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm sure this has come up before. (Arnljot, link please!) That contraption takes component (YUV) and upscales it. That's not the same as the RGB output that the Amiga generates. You might be able to upscale a composite (Or S-Video, if you've hacked one into your miggy) but not the native RGB output.

Also, as Charlie often points out, whilst it'll most likely be a scan doubler, it probably won't be a flicker-fixer.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I am under the impression said devices do take 15khz rgb sources and convert them to 30khz vga signals. If you see on the auction it also supports arcade pcb's , those output the same rgb signal like the amiga (and 99% of 15khz stuff)
maybe someone actually tried one and reports here..?

edit: yep, look here on the auction description:

Supports all RGB signals with 15Khz(H)+ 50/60hz(V) type input or YCbCr component video at 480i/576i inputs.
Supports RGB inputs from all major game consoles including Gamecube, PlayStation 2, Nintendo Wii, Xbox and Xbox 360.
Supports legacy computer devices like Amiga, Atari and so on.

Input RGB Formats:
RGsB(Sync on G)
RGBS
RGBH/V
RGBH+V with sync level above 2 Vpp
YCbCr/YUV

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I am under the impression said devices do take 15khz rgb sources and convert them to 30khz vga signals. If you see on the auction it also supports arcade pcb's , those output the same rgb signal like the amiga (and 99% of 15khz stuff)
maybe someone actually tried one and reports here..?

edit: yep, look here on the auction description:

Supports all RGB signals with 15Khz(H)+ 50/60hz(V) type input or YCbCr component video at 480i/576i inputs.
Supports RGB inputs from all major game consoles including Gamecube, PlayStation 2, Nintendo Wii, Xbox and Xbox 360.
Supports legacy computer devices like Amiga, Atari and so on.

Input RGB Formats:
RGsB(Sync on G)
RGBS
RGBH/V
RGBH+V with sync level above 2 Vpp
YCbCr/YUV

Aye, so it does. Apologies. Looks like it takes RGB and YUV inputs. Sounds like it ticks all the boxes then.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
remember - this is an external unit SO to get your vga signal:
digital amiga chipset -> converts to analog amiga output -> goes to device and converts to vga compatible

whereas in the indivision case:
digital amiga chipset -> indivision steals it and converts it to vga compatible

you do win one conversion, and thus image QUALITY. IMHO better save up for an indivision than spend on this...

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I would save for sure for an indivision.

Like Keropi posted, it is the best solution.

I use a LCD VGA TV for some machines, the quality is bad.

Andy do you have compatible LCD monitor??

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Andy do you have compatible LCD monitor??

Yes. I use an Iiyama ProLite H430 monitor. It quite happily accepts a 15Hz input signal (Composite, S-Video or RGB on the VGA port) It even does a pretty good job of rendering the interlaced screenmodes.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
This unit will de-interlace interlaced screens (act as flicker fixer / scan doubler).

I seriously doubt it would be able to deal with productivity modes like Super72 (you might get lucky with Double Pal, but NO garuantees!)

I would say shop about, as there are a few types of this unit a lot cheaper than you have linked to here.

I have 2 similar units that are perfect via SVideo (Chrom Y/C) to a CRT VGA monitor - even on AGA - however DONT use this on a cheap - low cost LCD Pannel... as it will be true and utter crap.

the main premise of this adaptor is to convert old 15Khz (16bit colour spaced) Jamma Arcade PCB's to use newer 31khz (and high range) VGA monitors.

the Amiga 500 / 600 and 2000 is essentially 16/18 bit colour.
the Amiga 1200 / 4000 is 24bit colour

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi
As said, better with CRT and lack of 24 bit modes, wouldn't recommend it with AGA amigas, for A500 OCS/ECS it is usefull, if usage is mainly for playing games. I hope this helps to get some conclusion about it.

Top Bottom