Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
ISA vga card wanted please .

1MB or more ...(some had 2mb)

urgently needed for my Amiga goldengate!

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

keropi

VIP
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
FYI, anything better than a Cirus Logic 5420 card is wasted on the GoldenGate... I had a slc2/50mhz in a A4000D once and did numerous tests with it.
The main problem is that the ISA bus of the goldengate is the bottleneck. You can't even have a 16bit soundcard working normally in games for example, even simple 386 ones. Once things start transferring in the ISA bus you hear many delays in sound, even slow midi playing ...
What I did find is that a CL5420 with a 8bit soundblaster works fine in every situation.
I am telling you all that so you don't waste your time searching for a fast ISA vga. It will just go to waste :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
trident tvga 9000a isa - known good do not remember how much mem

Asking packaging plus shipping

nb: since it does not weight much it will not be much if in bubble envelope

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the information, there seems to be very little info about the goldengate anywhere... ISA would always be a bottle neck as it was in the pc days. So any old ISA will do basically?

keropi

VIP
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Thanks for the information, there seems to be very little info about the goldengate anywhere... ISA would always be a bottle neck as it was in the pc days. So any old ISA will do basically?

yes, but don't get those OAK 256kb ones are they are dead-slow :LOL::LOL::LOL:
the ISA bus on a real PC works much better than the one on the goldengate... I was playing Apogee's Hocus Pocus on the 486slc2 GG that has midi music... the game is just a semi-good 386 platformer BUT the GG isa bus was so slow that midi was playing in slow-motion(sound in reality LOL)
I assume the implementation is not the fastest available but it works (noone expects the gg ISA implementation to be lightning fast - the fact that it works on the amiga is amazing enough!) Maybe it is the irq requests that are slow (midi uses #2) don't really know... What I know is that I benchmarked ~15 vga cards, from oak, trident, cirus logic even ati ones... the best ones where the cirus logic ones and they all performed the same whether they where 5420 or 5430 ones.... they pretty much max out the gg's available bandwidth (so you shove there a 8bit sb and you are set!)

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Ahh thanks for the info, i read another forum where you were talking about the GG but its good that you have all this info , perhaps we should have a sticky on hardware ? as i cant any or atleast very much on the GG at all....

I couldnt get any output at all on the GG the first night i had it but the second night it worked fine (?) via RGB to my HD tv...

Anyway....cirrus logic then?

i'll have to check various web sites or local sales......ISA stuff is getting rare!

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Thanks for the offer of the Trident but my quest is for a Cirrus logic ISA....

thanks anyway

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Vga card found off of Amibay...please close the thread thank you all.

Seaside

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Athens
@mjnurney

Available 2xtrident 9000B + 9000C and maybe a trident 8900c

Some of them were used to lying around in keropi's home :LOL::LOL:

If i can help let me know