Just got an SX32 MKII - I have questions.

eastbayarb

Country
Richmond, California, USA
I got an SX32 MK2 recently. I am waiting on my CD32 NTSC console in the mail, and until I get everything up and running, I have questions:

1. Does the SX32 MK2 have a CPU/FPU and if not, can I add those?
2. what is the largest hard drive I can use ?
3. What amiga games (other than CD32/CDTV) can I run on here? Is there a way to configure the CD32/SX32 setup to just run games?
4. Do I need a mouse/keyboard to run amiga games on here?
5. how would I install games or the OS to the hard drive?

I did a lot of research on this, but I haven't really found too much. I am a total newcomer when it comes to the CD32/SX32 (partially because I am in the USA, where Amiga really wasn't popular, nor even spoken about all that much).

Thank you!

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Hi eastbayarb and welcome to amibay! Thread is now moved to the correct forum and duplicate post removed , enjoy your stay!

and here is some info about the hardware you just got from here: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=SX+32+Mk2&company=

turns the CD32 into an A1200
connects to the rear expansion connector into the place the FMV module
the board is little over half the size of SX 32 Mk1
lower power consumption
memory
one 72 pin SIMM socket accepts up to 8MB RAM
supports 1, 2, 4 or 8 MB SIMMs, 80 ns or faster
improved memory controller (over SX 32 Mk1) which is more tolerant with SIMM specifications
interfaces
serial DB25 male, RS232
parallel DB25 female, Centronics
external floppy DB23 female
video DB23 male, analog RGB
VGA HD15 male, analog RGB
internal 44 pin IDE header
notes
optional PLCC FPU up to 33 MHz
the serial, parallel and floppy ports are controlled by two onboard CIA chips
mounting holes for a 2.5" hard disk
the CD LED shows hard disk activity
supports up to three floppy drives
battery backed up clock
disable jumper

so you just get an FPU slot, and basically this turns your cd32 to an amiga1200, adding the missing parts... you would need a keyboard/mouse to install workbench for example, if you add a HDD it would allow you to install there OS/games and even whdload (since you will add that 8MB of fastram :) ) and the hdd size depends on the patches you use on AOS... the most common size without patchs is a 4GB HDD. I am sure ppl here that have similar setups will answer you in more detail

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I got an SX32 MK2 recently. I am waiting on my CD32 NTSC console in the mail, and until I get everything up and running, I have questions:

Congratulations. It's really the top of CD32 hardware. (y)

1. Does the SX32 MK2 have a CPU/FPU and if not, can I add those?
I think not. It's an expansion board to transform your CD32 into an A1200. So you will still have the 020/14MHz, and I don't think that you can add an extra CPU/FPU. SX32 Pro has an extra 030 with optional FPU. Here you can add extra RAM (up to 8MB).

2. what is the largest hard drive I can use ?
Depends on the AmigaOS version that you will install. AmigaOS 3.9 can handle larger hard disks than the usual 4GB in older versions of AmigaOs.

3. What amiga games (other than CD32/CDTV) can I run on here? Is there a way to configure the CD32/SX32 setup to just run games?
You can run every Amiga game, like in every Amiga computer (if you connect a hard drive or a floppy of course)

4. Do I need a mouse/keyboard to run amiga games on here?
For CD32-specific games you'll not need a keyboard, but if you gonna run normal Amiga games, yes, a mouse and keyboard is mandatory.

5. how would I install games or the OS to the hard drive?
As you do in a normal Amiga. For games use WhdLoad (great stuff). (y)

eastbayarb

Country
Phantom,

thanks for the tips!

As far as WHDload, can you use it to load CD games from HDD? I hear OS 3.9 runs slow on the CD32 and that 3.1 is best, so is there a way to patch the OS for a larger drive?

keropi,

I don't see where on my unit to add an FPU slot. My SX32 MKII already has 8mb RAM. I have attached a picture of my unit.

Attachments

• DSC07595.jpg
    DSC07595.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Sure, there are a lot of CD32/CDTV WhdLoad installs too. Check www.whdload.de to search for your favourite game.

About FPU, I'm afraid that you cannot insert one, only in SX32 Pro board (which has a CPU also).

You can use various tools to overpass that 4GB limit even on AmigaOS 3.1. Your source is Aminet. :)

eastbayarb

Country
Sure, there are a lot of CD32/CDTV WhdLoad installs too. Check www.whdload.de to search for your favourite game.

About FPU, I'm afraid that you cannot insert one, only in SX32 Pro board (which has a CPU also).

You can use various tools to overpass that 4GB limit even on AmigaOS 3.1. Your source is Aminet. :)

Are games that are on the WHDload list the only games you can install to the HDD? I want use perhaps an 80gb HDD or maybe larger

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
the majestic keropi replies:

normally, SX32MKII DO offer an fpu upgrade , see this:

sx32mk2.jpg

FPU goes in the empty chip-slot on the left. apparently in your version the FPU slot is missing, but do not worry, it is useless in games....

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad

Don't bother, let me take care of that SX32 for you. :whistle:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Are games that are on the WHDload list the only games you can install to the HDD? I want use perhaps an 80gb HDD or maybe larger

No. Lots of games of A1200 era have their own install and don't WHDLoad installs at all.

Roadkill comes to my mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Also Aminet have a lot of shareware and freeware games. Which approximately 90% are HD installable.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Even if they have their own installs, if there is a WhdLoad install-package, it's better than the original.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
But some WHDLoad slaves for AGA games are justifiable for Amigas with better CPU only.

Remember that the CD32, even with the SX unit, still is barely an A1200 with expanded RAM.

eastbayarb

Country
I want to set the SX32/CD32 to play games only. I was wondering, will the VGA or RGB port on the SX32 allow me to do display games on my RGB/VGA monitor (My monitor is a 15khz/31khz monitor)? Or do I have to perform an RGB modification to the CD32?

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
If your monitor is capable of showing 15KHz mode, then I don't think that there's a problem with that.

Don't forget that the CD32 has an S-Video output already, in case you don't have a proper monitor and want to connect it via a tv.

eastbayarb

Country
If your monitor is capable of showing 15KHz mode, then I don't think that there's a problem with that.

Don't forget that the CD32 has an S-Video output already, in case you don't have a proper monitor and want to connect it via a tv.

a guy on another amiga forum said that the VGA port on the SX32 won't work for games (says it only works with workbench). So I guess I can use the RGB port on the SX32 for games?

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yes, you can use the RGB port for Games. Much better, as you said that you want CD32 only for games (as it's for games only!).

eastbayarb

Country
Ok I bought a CF to IDE adapter/4gb CF card with Workbench 3.1 installed. I have successfully installed it on my SX32 MKII and it boots up fine with my CD32, but now how do I install WHDLoad? Is it some how possible to install WHDLoad and games via CD (So I don't have to keep opening up the CD32 to install games)? Also, how do I restore an HDF file to a hard drive (or in my case, a compact flash card)?

Last edited:

eastbayarb

Country
I got my CD32 with SX32 to work on my RGB/VGA monitor through the VGA port. I downloaded an HDF that had workbench 3.1 setup, but on my monitor, it looks like this:

on my regular TV, the colors are all bleeding. Any ideas?

*edit* Never mind, changed the display settings for NTSC High Resolution

Last edited:

eastbayarb

Country
Ok I got my CD32/SX32 MKII set up. I copied the contents of a friend's HDF (he set up his A1200 with WHDload) file onto the DH0 partition of my CF card.
For setting things up before putting my CF card in my SX32, I use it with WinUAE. When I start up WinUAE, I check the box in the Hard drives section called, "Add PC drives at startup", so I can see my PC HDD when starting up work bench.

I don't know if this is the correct way to install WHDLoad games, but I just drag and drop from the PC hard drive to one of my larger partitions on my DH2 partition (1.9gb). Every time I run a WHDLoad game, I get this error:

DOS-Error #205
(object not found)
on reading "devs:kickstarts/kick34005.a500".

I have the version 16.8 of WHDload, and my SX32 has 8mb fastram

what can I do to get games to work?

Top Bottom