Just got my first Amiga (sorta), and have questions!

WhyreByter

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Washington State
First, I'm the proud new owner of Optiguy's A1200 setup. I owned a 500 for a few weeks in 1988, but other than that, I've got no experience with Amigas... So, I've got some (possibly simple) questions:

1. It's got a CF in it, and boots to it. When I do that, the floppy will continuously seek (click). Putting a disk in it makes it shut up. Is this normal? Any way to make it not do that?

2. There's no disk activity light for the CF HD. Any way to make that happen?

3. It's got an Indivision AGA, with firmware v1.5, from Jul '09. I'd love a manual for it, but can't find one on the web. Any suggestions where to get one? Also, ditto for firmware updates. The "support" web page is somewhat lacking on that device.

I'll have more, to be sure, but these should get me started. Thanks in advance!

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
1. The clicking is normal, it's related to how the system detects disk insertion. There are utilities on Aminet that can quiet it down (search for "noclick" or similar).

2. Possibly, you'll need to connect the appropriate signal from the CF adapter. Depends largely on the adapter in question though so it's hard to give any exact instructions.

3. You could email Individual Computers directly.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@WhyerByter

Congrats on your purchase, the A1200 is great choice (y)

As ajk says you can find apps on Aminet to stop the drive clicking but I'm not sure it works on all drives, you'll have to try them. I think another app is called 'anticlick'

You might want to consider a workbench replacement like 'Classic Workbench' as it has the above and may useful apps already built into it and can be setup easily on your CF card (or another CF card so you can preserve the original setup) via WinUAE. For these reasons its a great setup for someone who is new to the Amiga or returning to the scene.

The CF adapter you have will be one of those that needs modifying to work with the LED or you can try another adapter if you're not up to soldering a jump wire. I bought a few of these (BIN Ebay Link) and they work with LED activity but you'll have to double check if it will fit with the Indivision as I'm not 100% sure on that since it plugs right into the IDE header.

Regarding the Indivision Manual, I'm pretty sure its just an A4 folded sheet, perhaps someone here will be kind enough to scan theirs for you :cool:

Most of all enjoy your new acquisition (y)

Steve.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
1-As Fitzsteve said, the BEST Amiga anti-click utility is anticlick (Aminet download link), second to none. Pending on the drive model the annoying sound will go away, on others it will become barely audible.

2-There is a thread on English Amiga Board about hacking those CF adaptors that refuse to let the Amiga led working... Lemme see... Yes, here it is! :)

3-Latest Indivision AGA firmware is 1.5, from July, 31 of 2009.

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
When I found MCP it was the only anticlick utility i used. (It is a customization utility that contains at least 50 neat little hacks or tweaks i found I can't live without.) For some reason latest version is not on Aminet, but you can grab it from authors homepage.

E

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
1-As Fitzsteve said, the BEST Amiga anti-click utility is anticlick (Aminet download link), second to none. Pending on the drive model the annoying sound will go away, on others it will become barely audible.

2-There is a thread on English Amiga Board about hacking those CF adaptors that refuse to let the Amiga led working... Lemme see... Yes, here it is! :)

3-Latest Indivision AGA firmware is 1.5, from July, 31 of 2009.

I've always wondered why people would use an anti-click device? I love the sound! When I was 13 and had my 500 I used to leave it on overnight and fall to sleep with the clicking. Maybe that explains why I'm a fruit! :blink::|

Whyerbyter - good choice and there are some nice upgrades in the pipeline for that model in the next coming 12 months (accelerators in particular* ;) )

*may not be girlfriend friendly.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
When I found MCP it was the only anticlick utility i used. (It is a customization utility that contains at least 50 neat little hacks or tweaks i found I can't live without.) For some reason latest version is not on Aminet, but you can grab it from authors homepage.

E

I am one of the few beta-testers of the MCP. Newer (and maybe LAST) version will be released this Christmas.

Dieter had his A1 CPU module fried.:(:(:(:(:(

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
I've always wondered why people would use an anti-click device? I love the sound! When I was 13 and had my 500 I used to leave it on overnight and fall to sleep with the clicking. Maybe that explains why I'm a fruit! :blink::|
The same reason they deactivate annoying belt alarms on their cars.
Pure madness I tell you! :mrgreen:

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

I am one of the few beta-testers of the MCP. Newer (and maybe LAST) version will be released this Christmas.

Good! Now I know who to blame if LAST version has any bugs left. ;):D

WhyreByter

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Washington State
Thanks, everyone! Having a lot of fun with the A1200. Trying not to buy all the software I find!

Looks like this weekend will be a little solder time to fix up the CF adapter; it doesn't make it work any better, but I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. :)

I'll also give anticlick and MCP a try this weekend.

Thanks all!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
MCP requires MUI.

And without a 4Mb RAM expansion (or an accelerator) my best advice is to not bother with it.

Top Bottom