Just picked up a great Atari STE bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
As some of you know I've been searching for an Atari STE for some time. I've picked up bits ready to upgrade one to its max, but finding a decent example of an actual STE has been harder than I thought it would be.

None offered for sale on here yet, and those that appear on ebay normally sell for silly money. However the other day one appeared on ebay that looked in great condition and came boxed with inserts and its original Turbo software bundle. I stuck in the maiden bid, not expecting to win it, but no one else did, so it was mine!

It finally arrived today, and it was a very good bargain!

The box and inserts were in perfect condition, and the STE itself is also in very good condition with only slight yellowing to the case along the front edge below the keyboard. It is a 520STE, but as I recently got hold of 4MB SIMMS ready for the STE from a nice Amibayer I didn't mind as I was armed ready to upgrade it.

I first booted her up to check everything worked, and it booted into the horrible green GEM desktop perfectly, so that was good. I then booted up a couple of games and they worked fine.

So next to open her up and upgrade the ram. But this is where I got a nice surprise! I opened the case up and removed the PSU shielding to get to the SIMM sockets, and what did I find? 4 SIMMs already installed! Nice! Not sure of their size I downloaded a little ST program that displays the STs setup and have a guess what. 4MB installed! How cool is that.

The action never mentioned what the ST's setup was. It just stated 520STE in box with Turbo software bundle and listed the software included. If the seller had stated it had 4MB it would have commanded over 4 times its final price for sure. So I got a real bargain here.

Finally I took the floppy drive out to check the TOS and DMA revisions. Early STEs didn't have socketted TOS sockets so required de-soldering of the existing TOS chips and sockets fitted. Gladly this STE has socketted TOS sockets and is currently fitted with 1.06 TOS roms, but with 2.06 TOS roms on there way it will soon be upgraded. :) Finally I checked the DMA chip version as STFM's and early STE's came with a faulty DMA chip that doesn't work properly with harddrives. And I was very pleased to find it has the later good DMA chip.

So it was a great bargain of a 520STE with 4MB ram, boxed as new with a good bundle of software. And how much was this? £13. I'm very happy.

Now I just need to make an ST to Amiga monitor cable to get the best display from it. :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Re: Just picked up a great Atari STE bargain!

This does mean I now have 4x 1MB 30pin SIMMs spare tat I was going to use in the STE. However I do have a GVP SCSI Zorro card without any ram installed, so I might stick them in that. They should work shouldn't they?

Only thing left to do now once I've installed the TOS 2.06 roms and built the monitor cable will be to find a way to attach a HDD to the STE. Any ideas?

Ideally I would love to get hold of one of those original SCSI Atari megafile external HDDs, but I've not seen one of those for sale for years. Need to find another option so I can try out MultiTOS, Magic and Mint.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

One final question. What joysticks work with the two enhanced joystick ports on the side of the STE? Just Jaguar pads? or others as well?

And what games support those ports?

Any games that supported them for 4 players?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

LOL Harrison. It's like seeing a kid with his first candy bar. :LOL:

The 30 pin simms should be fine in the GVP card. Check the speed of the modules & try a match them for the same speed rating. :wink:

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

:LOL: Before I saw the error of my ways and became devoted to the Amiga, being an STFM owner I had been following the development of the STE, and really wanted one. But I ditched the ST in favour of the Amiga just as the STE was being launched and I definitely don't regret that decision.

However, I've always still wanted to own an STE because of following its development and still having a soft spot for the ST.

Only problem now is that I can feel the retro collecting bug growing. No longer am I happy collecting Amiga's, current systems, and a few other retro systems. I;m starting to want other Atari's too! I would love to get hold of an Atari TT, and ultimately an Atari Falcon now. But I know they are both very rare and getting more expensive by the day, and that is if you can find one. I did spot a Falcon on ebay but it is already way too expensive for my tastes.

BTW, how can you tell the speed of old 30pin SIMMS when there are no labels or stickers on the ram?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Generally, all chips should have some numbers on them. On memory simms, the speed rating in nano seconds is usually the last 2 numbers on the chip. Could be -60, -70, -80 etc, or even just -6 (60ns) -7 etc. A -10 would suggest 100ns.

Not all Ram displays the speed rating obviously on it's chips. The brand name & number on the memory chips themselves, should be google-worthy to find out more. :wink:

Kin

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Harrison

If they are the 30pin 1MB SIMMS I sent you then they will work perfectly. they are 70nS and came from my GVP unit... :ROTFLOL2:

Stick them in chap... (y)

TC :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Ah, cool. Thanks TC. Will definitely use them now I know that. ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Pics of the STE (with the RAM) in the photo-booth plerase sir!!!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

As soon as the 2.06 TOS roms arrive I will take some pr0n shots of her undressed for you, with the ram and the TOS roms being installed. ;)

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Wow what a find at such a great price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom