Just won a Amiga A590

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
HI All,

I won a A590 from Evilbay recently, pending pickup.

It was advertised as this -

- With Power Mod todraw power directly from A500.
- A590 powers up and spins hdd
- Connector broken on the back of the jumper switch.
- Autoboot has not been tested
- Manual WB loaded from disk but Hard drive or RAM could not be seen.

Opps I got too excited and just bidded on it, got it for a very cheap price.

I don't mind a challenge, just wanted to get ppl's gut feeling if they think this unit could be beyond repair or not. Was the power mod common for the a590?
First thing that comes into my mind would be the potential for excess current draw that could burn out things on the A500 side.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The only thing that can be burned out is the PSU power brick.

If it happens, replace the guts with an micro-ATX PSU and be very glad to do so.:)

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
The only thing that can be burned out is the PSU power brick.

If it happens, replace the guts with an micro-ATX PSU and be very glad to do so.:)

I already have a AT PSU modded for my A500. So theres no concern with power tracks on the A500 mobo being adequate enough to take the additional load of a modern 3.5" SCSI drive via the expansion slot.

I was thinking more of the lines of providing a additional 4 DIN power connector directly from AT PSU to Unit, just to be safe.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ darkage

You'll be fine, doing the power mod with an ATX PSU; I modded an A500 PSU with the DIN plug to power my A590.

Post some hardware pr0n (sorry :oops:, pictures :LOL:) of the insides of the unit and I'm sure we can get you sorted out.

(y)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
When it arrives you will have to check a number of things.

Mainly see if there areany bad tracks/traces on the board, if all there is any broken solder near any connectors, or any shorts due to too much solder (with regards to the psu mod).

Also check for loose socketed ships like the ROMS etc..

You said the connector of the jumper switch is broken. That should be checked too.

Maybe spraying some circuit board cleaner around the board and especialy on the edge connector wont do any harm either.

I am pretty sure you will get this thing running in no time.

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
Big Bugger!

When I picked up the a590 the seller mentioned they they couldnt get autoboot to work and memory was not recognised.

The first thing I did when I got home was to pull it apart and clean the board with isophytol alcohol. Took out the 2 x EEPROM's, cleaned up the legs and sockets. It has a 1GB Seagate SCSI drive inside with 2 Meg of mixmatch same speed ram. The Harddrive has some sort of crystalise residue on it, so I took off the controller board gave it a bath and went over it with isophytol so now it looks new. The hard drive think the bearings are starting to go since it seems to struggle on spin up sometimes with a little short burst of a high pitched sound that is a little uncomfortable to my ears. The power mod soldering looks sound, and it looks like someone on purpose broke off the eg for the DIL switch (1 Position for Autoboot) to hard wire in a 2 pole switch to bring to the front of the case. I resoldered in the switch since this was missing.

I have v1.2, 1.3 and 2.05 kickstart roms. Im sticking to 1.3 kickstart for testing and I found a copy of WB 1.3 which I believe should be good enough version to operate with this hard drive. I cant find any indication of additional memory add or the hard disk in WB.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I did have the memory selector set to amnesia which allowed the floppy drive to sit there and seek on the Kick start standby boot screen. I changed the jumper to 2MB and I get flashing KB error. So I will test removing all the ram and just populate with same type for 512k.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I never really had a hdd on my amiga before.. so a bit rusty.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@darkage: Maybe you should start with just the hard disk part and go on from there once you sort that out. Keep the memory out for now, and try getting the disk detected first. Has it been shipped with the necessary software for the installation? If not, you could start by grabbing it from here: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a590
If nothing happens with the hard disk, look for a spare SCSI drive from a friend etc. just borrow one for testing to make sure it's not the board that's faulty. Last thing you can do is try to hook a SCSI drive externally since this baby has an additional 25-pin socket outside. If you're after utilizing some XT drive too, i wouldn't go through all the hassle for one..

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
You can also get a SCSI-IDE bridge and hook a CF card in there. I have a seagate barracuda, but of course your an ocean away, I found my SCSI drive deals at a web design firm, I called them and they said they have a few untested 50-pins and a tested UW, the latter of which I later sold. only one 50-pin survived the first few weeks but I got it for free!

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
I have a official a590 boot disk and found 3 spare 50pin SCSI drives I've had lurking around the place.

When booting up with the a590 disk, it seems to get stuck on the Amigados screen with the green drive light constantly on above the numpad.

seems not to be doing much at all.

Thats where I am with this currently.

Last edited:

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@darkage: Most probably either your A590 floppy disk is damaged, or something's wrong with your floppy drive. If you can use various other floppies, it's the disk. Before doing anything else, try booting from a Workbench disk, and afterwards attempt to read any possible contents from the former disk. Maybe there's contents there you could salvage!
If all else fails, try downloading the accompanied software from the link i mentioned earlier on my last post.

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
@salaxi54, I did a null modem transfer of a ADF version of the A590 setup disk, using a floppy that has no bad sectors during format.. So I assume the floppy is still good.. But I'll try another floppy. I was thinking if its normal for the bootable floppy to stop if it has troubles finding the a590 for loading the driver.

Update - The disk is fine, loads perfect without sidecart. I guess the startup sequence is failing on detecting the drive.

One interesting fact is if I jumper the actual memory amount the board is populated now (512k) it doesnt get to the kickstart screen and the harddrive seems to be seeking just like the floppy drive. Click Click Click If I jumpered as amnesia, then the kickstart screen appears ok.

Think something dodgy is happening within the sidecart.. I guess I'll clean up the contacts on the expansion slot for just incase test again and if no luck trace back to where the amnesia vs fixed memory jumper positions go to.

Last edited:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ darkage

Can you please confirm the setting for the A590 and drive in terms of the following. Let's start with the basics.

1) SCSI LUN IDs for the controller and hard drive
2) Termination settings - termination power, termination on drive / external terminator
3) Is the A590 actually set to SCSI with the jumper?

If we can verify the settings we can eliminate some things from the search for the culprit.

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
@Merlin,

I didn't really play around with the SCSI settings on the drive, kind of assumed they were set correct and assumed the A590 should at least boot without a drive attached?

I'll check the termination settings on the drive tonight. Yes the a590 is jumpered for SCSI.

I've removed the power mod, as I didn't wanted to risk existing solder joints piecing the insultation on the modded power wire. Have to make a 5 DIN power lead tonight.

@ darkage

Can you please confirm the setting for the A590 and drive in terms of the following. Let's start with the basics.

1) SCSI LUN IDs for the controller and hard drive
2) Termination settings - termination power, termination on drive / external terminator
3) Is the A590 actually set to SCSI with the jumper?

If we can verify the settings we can eliminate some things from the search for the culprit.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Well, if the drive LUN ID is set the same as the controller, that could be why it's not getting seen and everything locks up.

IIRC there are some settings that you should not use the the A590 for the controller ID (ID 0 for example); I'm sure that others on here can advise on this.

As long as the controller and hard drive are set on separate LUN IDs and termination is either external to the A590 or set on the hard drive, you should be OK.

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
@Merlin, yep I've tried LUN 0, 1 & 6. I do remember back in the days of SCSI that LUN 0 or 7 were common preferences for controllers, but I did do limited testing with these LUN ID's. Focused most of my efforts on LUN 6.

Now Im home to check, termination has always been set on the drive with Termination Power set on Drive. This is how all my testing was done with these settings.

All my testing is done with Kickstart 1.3 as Im assuming this is the optimal version to be sticking to.

Next suggestion?

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
I havent read all the posts, sorry, but have you tried booting the machine with the 590 connected to the A500, but without the HDD plugged into the 590?

Process of elimination if you follow? See if the 590 circuits work... ?

Tried without hard drive and without memory in the 590?

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
@matt020

I already have during my initial troubleshooting efforts, hence the reason why I created another thread titled 'A590 Behaviour' to establish if the unit requires a active hard drive in order for it to function at a minimal level. Older hardware has more of a chance to throw a sissy fit if it doesnt get ideal conditions. ie. if it doesnt have a proper active hard drive recognised, mixup of different manufacturor dram chips & speeds, etc.

Since the board has issues when specifying a memory size, Im starting to think its a logic issue.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
It may be that one of the ROMs is corrupt; if that is what's happened, there is no logic to hand control back to the Kickstart so it may explain what you are seeing. The voltage surge that lunched the power supply may have also taken the ROMs out.

I have a spare set of v6 ROMs that you could have to try in your unit if you want them. Alternatively, I would try to get a set of v7 ROMs from another friendly member on here.... ;)

Last edited:

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
Haha! Good News I got it working!!

I thought it was strange that the a590 would lock up the system before kickstart screen if memory was set and if memory was disabled then it would lock up when loading up the a590 driver ie. sit there for 15 mins.

So tonight I read up on the a590 manual and it seemed like the DMA controller is responsible for everything on the board. I didnt like the look of one of the solder joints on the PLCC socket, so I redid all the joints.. haha and what you know, if I set the board to 2meg instead of locking up it actually gave control to the kickstart. I could boot and see 2meg memory automatically allocated. haha then plugged in the 1 gig hdd and it found it on ID 6!! whaoao! (y)

So yeah dry joints was the issue.

Now I just have to figure out how to install WB on it :bowdown:

Haha I guess next thing planned for the a590 is to burn the v7 roms

Whao! It feels good to bring hardware back from the dead!

Last edited:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Fantastic news, mate!!

Welcome to the A590 Owners Club......:)

Top Bottom