Keeping a promise - a journal

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Some time back I promised Phantom a formated 18.6GB SCSI Hd.

Today I started the project from scratch.

Tools and parts:
- 1 mug of freshly brewed java coffee
- Two chocolate glaced doughnuts (one was eaten on the bus on my way home)
- One Elbox PowerTower4000
- One Kin Hell A4000 CR board
- One Kin Hell 233/66mhz Cyberstorm PPC
- One Kin Hell CVPPC
- One Dutch or sweedish PicassoIV
- Misc scsi cables and terminators
- One Scsi drive
- One Scsi CDROM
- One AOS 3.9 CDRom
- Misc (CF card, CF ide adapter, scsi ide adapter, no ide etc)

My first stumble was that my Lenovo 19" stopped synching with my PIV. It's not dead, it's just doesn't want to show PAL or NTSC anymore. I have to tune it again, darn it. That's why the CVPPC came out to play.

Second troubble is that my Lyra and Micromys doesn't want to interact with that CR motherboard. No way, no how. So I had to take out a standard amiga mouse and keyboard.

The same mouse keyboard Micromys/lyra setup works on my two other amiga 4000s. Strange fruit.

Now, I'll start mucking around. I'll keep ya'll posted.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

Okay, now I've assembled the drivebay thingymadingy. It's super wierd contraption. Two steel plates which hold drives. And you then screw the two plates to the back of the power tower.

Now, to the stumble block. With the drive powered, the amiga won't power up. Unplug power from the drive, it powers up.

What does this sound like, a shorted drive or a missing jumper on the drive?

Gotta investigate.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

Okay, I have a few of these SCSI drives laying around - so I put another it and it powers up and the amiga with it.

So I'll use that one then for this endeavour.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Hi Lurker. :D

SCSI drive not spinning up is usually a hard drive not having the Auto Spin Jumper enabled. Termination issues can also throw the same problem up.
However, if it's stopping the Amiga from powering up, the drive could be shorting & it appears you resolved this by trying another drive. ;)

Also m8, your 68 Pin SCSI cable from the CS needs terminating at both ends with Active Termination packs. If you can only terminate one end of the cable with a Termination Pack, try enabling SCSI termination on the Hard drive with the relevant jumper. The device you teminate the SCSI bus with must be able to Terminate. Setting a jumper for Termination Power does not always have the same effect.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I have active terminations at both sides of the drive. Also, the drive had it's jumpers set correctly, I checked the manual. The jumpers are also set identicaly to the drive which is now in the amiga which is same brand and model.

So I conclude that the drive is dead. Too bad. :-/

I discovered that the drive in the amiga now has two partitions set up on it. But I'll whipe them out :)

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

I have a hard time to get the floppy to work.

At early boot menu, it states I have both a DF0 and DF1, wierd.

The floppy cable should not be twisted, and a normal DD floppy drive is used. What is the correct J351 and J352 setup then?

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

found an old wb3.1 disk which I can boot with now.

Using version 1.1 of the phase5 scsi disk I use scsiconfig2 to partition the drive and create two 1gb bootable partitions on it.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Hmm, managed to install AmiCDFS from the cyberpcc scsi disk. It's version 2.38. I can read the amiga future cdroms with it, but not the OS3.9 CDROM... :-/ what's that about?

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

I found my backup cd of my original os3.1 install from 1998. It had a cachecdfs which I could grab. Now OS3.9 is installing on the amiga scsi hd.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

hm, a clean os 3.9 install

but when I select info on an icon, or try to open a prefs application. Nothing happens. Except some ram is used...

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

what happens is that amidock crashes
and after that
no apps can run
well
wb apps
dos apps will run
dir, list etc
but nothing that needs a gui

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

doh!

68060 library for the CSPPC!!! :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Using just one terminator the chain will look like this:

Term---SCSI_controller---device---...---last_device_with termination_on_AND_TERM_POWER_ON

If using two active terminators:

Term---SCSI_controller---device---...---device_with_TERM_POWER_ON---term

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
it looks like this:

wide term - wide hd - controller - adapter - narrow cdrom with term - wide term

And now:
with mediator, genesis and aweb-ii se
YAY!
time to download, bb1, bb2 and sfs

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Sack or disable the CD-ROM termination. 3 terminators on a SCSI chain will bring issues.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
according on the site of cable makers inc, the 8 bit bus needs termination on its own. The later term is to term the highbits.

What is Termination? Termination causes a SCSI bus to think it has infinite length. An in depth technical explanation would not be appropriate here, as I am not an electronics engineer. I can tell you that termination is required to be at both ends of each SCSI bus. Sometimes the termination can actually take place in 4 different places, but that is in the realm of High Byte Termination only. If you are ever terminating your SCSI bus in more than 2 places, you need to exercise extreme caution. There are many different forms of termination a SCSI bus can use. Passive, Active, Differential, Forced Perfect Termination, Active Negation, and Low Voltage Differential.

What is Passive termination?
Passive termination is the lowest form of termination known to man. It boggles the mind that people would spend so much on SCSI and cheap out on the terminator (which will decrease performance). The difference between passive and active terminators is 5-10 dollars in most cases.
Passive termination is recommended in low performance applications only. A scanner would probably work fine on a passively terminated bus with a cable length of 6 feet or less.
Rules of thumb:
1. Don't use if you have more than 2 devices.
2. Don't use if you have any Ultra devices.
3. Don't use if you want the highest performance for your system.

Some scanners use passive termination for their onboard termination. Watch out for that. It can render a UW HD screamer silent because the entire SCSI chain is connected together. We sell active DB-25 terminators to correct this situation.

What is Active Termination?
Active termination is currently the most common type of termination being used. It is passive termination + voltage regulation. You can't go wrong with active termination unless you have a true SCSI-3 spec device. See Active Negation Termination for more details.

What is Differential Termination?
Differential termination is used in differential systems. They are not compatible with single-ended or LVD. Differential termination is easy - Always use differential termination for differential devices, and it works. There is no active or passive differential termination.

What is Low Voltage Differential Termination?
Low Voltage Termination is fast becoming the new standard in SCSI. It is downward compatible with existing Single-ended systems, so it is very popular for gradual upgrades. It is the only standard that supports Ultra2 Wide 80MB/S. If you aren't sure whether you need LVD or Active, you don't have to choose! LVD has Diffsens, which automatically chooses between LVD and Single-ended when your devices first power up.
note : Some LVD devices, terminators, and host adapters are NOT multimode LVD/SE. If your equipment is not multimode, then the downward compatibility is lost, but you still get the speed and distance of LVD.

What is Active Negation Termination?
This is a sensitive spot because not allot of information is readily available on active negation termination. What I have found is that it is the required termination for true SCSI-3 spec single-ended devices. Active Negation Termination may get passed over as a technology because most people going to SCSI-3 are using LVD to do it. Active Negation is fully downward compatible with Active, so it doesn't hurt, it can only help. When in doubt, spend hours researching or spend an extra 5 to 10 dollars.

What is Forced Perfect Termination?
FPT is a technology that got passed up. Very few people actually implemented this style of terminator, and it's day is certainly past. It is better than active, and it extends the length of single-ended devices. They are hard to find.

What is High Byte Termination?
a.k.a. high 9, high G, high bit.
High Byte Termination is used when the SCSI bus must be terminated in multiple locations. It is traditionally the most complex topic in termination. If you have all narrow devices, then it is not an issue.
The concept is simple - If you are running a wide system, then the wide bus is actually transmitting 16 bits of information every time a data transmission is sent. That's 16 bits or 2 bytes. The low byte, which take up the first 50 pins along with all the control signals, and the high byte, which has only 8 bits, 1 parity bit, and 9 grounds. (50 + 18 = 68 That's where 68 comes from. ).
Everything is simple and happy until we introduce a narrow (50 pin) device to the bus. Why is that complex? Well, because we still don't need high byte termination in every instance. Let me run some scenarios by you....
W = wide device
N = narrow device
C = controller
* = termination
# = adapter

1) Internal :
*C<----------->W<------------------>
*C<----------->W<-------->#N*
BAD - We have an unterminated bus here. As you can see, the wide byte is unterminated and doomed to fail.
2) Internal :
*C<----------->#N<------------->W*
*C<---------------------------->W*
GOOD - We have a fully terminated bus here. The narrow device is using a 68 to 50 converter, and it is not interfering with anything.
3) Internal :
*C<------------------->W#*
*C<------------------->W##<----------------->N*
GOOD - We used a 68 to 50 adapter with high byte termination, so the bus is now terminated in 3 places, but it is terminated properly.
4) Internal :
*C<----->W<------>W#*
*C<----->W<------>W##<------>N<------>N<------>N*
GOOD - Same as #3, but we added a few drives for the heck of it.
5) External :
*C<---------->W<---------------->
*C<---------->W<------->N*
BAD - It's the same sad story as #1. The upper byte is not terminated.
6) Internal and External :
<--#------>W<------->C<------->W<----------->
*N#<----->W<------->C<------->W<------> N*
BAD BAD - This scenario has two bad points. The high byte is incorrectly terminated internally and externally.
7) Internal and External :
*##------>W<------>C<------>W<------>##*
*N<--->#N<---->W<------>C<------>W<------>#N<------->N* GOOD - This bus is terminated in 4 places, but it still works properly.

---------- Post added at 01:27 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

Well, now bb1 is installed. And I'm installing bb2.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Since you got two terminators, one at each cable end, you don't need the narrow CD termination, just use a small 68>50pin adaptor for the CD and you are set.

Remember to use the HD as termination power supplier.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
WIll look into it :)

Btw, now it's latest p96 install bb1+bb2.

I'll make a copy of this drive now :)

For now, I'm done with it. In the future, ppc software + mm cd updates (3.12 is latest?) install radeon card + drivers...

Lets see...

Top Bottom