Keyboard probs...

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Rotherham' South Yorkshire.
Hello again!!!!!!!! As you may have seen on another post iv been a little' What i forgot to mention tho was; On my a500 my keyboard is playin up the capslock light stays on and sometimes it flickers on/off and dunt work at all.... Anyone had this prob before ???

Cheers all :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
If your cap's lock key is mis-behaving, there is every chance you have a CPU related problem. This could mean you have some self-degenerating Capacitor issues.

Well worth looking at your mobo for leaking/Sweaty Caps. and furry looking feet below them. ;)

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hello again!!!!!!!! As you may have seen on another post iv been a little' What i forgot to mention tho was; On my a500 my keyboard is playin up the capslock light stays on and sometimes it flickers on/off and dunt work at all.... Anyone had this prob before ???

Cheers all :)

This is a common fault with A500 and A500+ keyboards (and it happened to me quite a lot back in the day)
This can be caused by one of the following: The A500/A500+ has it's own separate processor .... the caps lock flashing or solid caps lock slight is an indication that said processor has crashed.
Or .... sometimes one of the custom chips on the A500/A500+ motherboard can cause this when faulty (think it's the Gary chip ..... can anyone confirm this?)

First thing to do, is get another A500/A500+ keyboard and try that in it (fine if you have one spare, but saying that, I've seen A500 keyboards go for about a fiver on ebay) .... if that works, problem solved.

I have also managed to repeatedly cause the same problem on one of my A500s if I cover up the ventilation holes at the top of the case too, so it may be worth checking that they are clear of debris.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Cheers guys. :) ill get the possy out and start stripping (not me that is the a500 lol) Ill check and reseat the chips now and have a look for leakage... I know that battery has leaked i think i sorted that tho' but ill check again...

CHEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRSSSSS :p

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

Ok iv cheched it out and your right it could be the gary chip iv had problems with that before with this a500+... But! the keyboard still lets me reboot from it even tho no other keys work :blink:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Ok iv cheched it out and your right it could be the gary chip iv had problems with that before with this a500+... But! the keyboard still lets me reboot from it even tho no other keys work :blink:
That's the same problem I had with my KS1.2 A500
I replaced the Gary chip in mine as well as the CIA chips (I had other problems with other issues on that A500 as well)

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Think i might heat the soldering iron up' drink more BEER' then fiddle about with it! What can go wrong lol...

Top Bottom