Keyrah V2 - switch question.

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
I have after a long period decided to make a full on effort on a C64 itx conversion. I have fitted a Keyrah V2 and only just noticed the switch on it appears to be ok in the middle setting, push downwards and its ok but pushing to the top most setting and it just springs back.

Now I bought this quite some time ago and I have forgotten if this is normal or is there something amiss?

So anyone with a Keyrah V2... can you confirm I am just being a dope here lol.

EDIT: Teaches me to RTFM lol! I now know the switch allows a signal to the ACPI Power sleep thing on most boards.

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I know you have already found the answer and you are indeed correct, it is supposed to spring back to the middle to give a momentary contact.

I built a Raspberry Pi C64 Breadbin and hard wired the top spring position to the Pi reset pad, this is useful for when emulators crash etc. I run RetroPi which has a multitude of emulators already installed, including C64.

As you are probably building a MiniITX PC it won't affect you but thought I would let you know :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430643657.359605.jpg

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
Smart :)

Decided to solder hard drive led and power, reset switches. I noticed this keyrah v2 has space for an internal usb header, so I soldered one on. Can you confirm what colour wires you have soldered on yours? I have worked with usb stuff for years but this keyrah appears to have two data lines swapped as opposed to a pc. Just need to double check before I go ballsing it up after getting so close to the finish line.

EDIT: I cannot believe that the usb header pins are labeled incorrectly lol. Googling away here and I stumble upon an old Amibay review and it looks like it was printed wrong on the board. My V1 is correct.

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Hi. While I'm not able to check inside mine at the moment, from another pic I have on my phone ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430724358.254041.jpg I think from the top, USB colours are:

RED 5V
WHITE Data
GREEN Data
BLACK Gnd

Don't remember what the header was labelled as, I usually double check with a multimeter anyway.

Why there was not already a header on there is a mystery, I can't see many people wanting to use it thru the external port!

Hope that helps!

Regards

vbaker

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Reset pad on the PI

Reset pad on the PI

I know you have already found the answer and you are indeed correct, it is supposed to spring back to the middle to give a momentary contact.

I built a Raspberry Pi C64 Breadbin and hard wired the top spring position to the Pi reset pad, this is useful for when emulators crash etc. I run RetroPi which has a multitude of emulators already installed, including C64.

As you are probably building a MiniITX PC it won't affect you but thought I would let you know :)

View attachment 87420

Hi Stephen

I'm working on a similar project with a Pi 2 in a C64. I'm really interested in what you did with the reset switch. Does the switch restart the Pi if it gets locked? If the Pi is shut down will it restart it? Did you disconnect the switch pins from the Keyrah board or have you just linked the top two pins to the reset connectors on the Pi?

Many thanks!

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Hi.

Yes the 'reset' switch does indeed reboot the Pi when it gets locked, as this happens quite often with some emulators.

If the Pi has been shut down correctly, the switch will also act as a 'wake-up' command.

I didn't disconnect the switch, but what I had to do is cut the track on the back of the board which ran to the reset position. Once this was done I soldered a wire directly from the reset pin on the Pi to the momentary switch position on the back of the Keyrah. I forget which it is off the top of my head, but if you use a continuity tester you will find it no problem. It simply grounds the pin while held.

Hope that helps

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Just in case it's any help, here are some other pics from my conversion.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438708217.778958.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438708251.514751.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438708280.872549.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438708318.900622.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438708343.601484.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438708364.292578.jpg

Regards

vbaker

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Many thanks

Many thanks

Hi.

Yes the 'reset' switch does indeed reboot the Pi when it gets locked, as this happens quite often with some emulators.

If the Pi has been shut down correctly, the switch will also act as a 'wake-up' command.

I didn't disconnect the switch, but what I had to do is cut the track on the back of the board which ran to the reset position. Once this was done I soldered a wire directly from the reset pin on the Pi to the momentary switch position on the back of the Keyrah. I forget which it is off the top of my head, but if you use a continuity tester you will find it no problem. It simply grounds the pin while held.

Hope that helps

Many thanks - I'll give it a go!

xamfear

Country
United States
Region
Georgia
Hate to necro such an old thread, but it is relevant to a project I am working on now. I'm a complete n00b for eletronics, so this is probably all pretty dumb questions - sorry in advance, I'm just learning here.

I will be using an ATX raspi board from lowpowerlab and I wish to wire it's momentary switch to the momentary switch on the Keyrah V2 and would love to see some pics of how this was accomplished either in a similar situation or directly to the PI itself. 'm not sure exactly why you had to cut the trace on the back of the board - if it's not too much trouble can you please explain further (I would think using the momentary switch with the pi and having the normal keyrah functions would be desirable)?

Thanks much
Xam

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Hi. Sorry ive only just noticed your question.

The switch on the keyrah has 2 positions plus the extra momentary position, which if I remember correctly acts as a 'Sleep' instruction to the host system.

This didnt perform anything on the Pi, so I had to locate the track on the back of the board which connected to the momentary switch and cut it with a blade. Once that was done I just soldered a wire to the switch end and the other goes to reset on the Pi.

Sorry if its not too clear. I cant acess my Pi c64 at the moment or I would take a photo for you.

Regards

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom