Status
Not open for further replies.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
ADSL in this country just totally "Stinks".
First off, ADSL is normally used on Fibre; Has been in the US & most of Europe for the last 20 years or so. Unfortunately, we had BT (British Telecom) taking up the reins to launch ADSL for the UK. Unfortunately, it cost Millions to get it to work down Copper Wire. Now some of this wire is very sub-standard. Some of it is Aluminium. An awful lot of BT's wires were actually put in place by the GPO (General Post Office) about 80 years ago. Large areas use Aluminium because it was cheaper than Copper & the more backward areas of the UK suffer consequently. Unfortunately for me, Cornwall is one of these backward areas, but it becomes more backward as time goes by.
Allow me to explain.
About 10 years ago, I had a Pentium II 450, Voodoo SLI, Sound Blaster & a 56k modem. Trying to stay on line was a joke.......like 2 seconds...Disconnect! We had the GAIN turned up on the phone to keep connection. It was set at 7; The Echo on voice was like being on a Tolberone Mountain Top with f'kin Cuckoo Clocks everywhere!, but I still managed to rack up a £500 phone bill & frag a huge pile of sad Ass! :twisted:

The problem was it was all very intermittent. Then out rolled ISDN.

At this point I was using a PIII with Voodoo 3 & ISDN just made me an LPB (Low Ping Bastard) Fragging now was never so easy. Run into the Terrorist camp, kill the whole Terror team & still have rounds left in the first clip! Wicked days untill......
18 months later, ISDN is so slow, when it eventually connects, it might take 45 minutes for your home page to load. That was the worst case scenario ever, but it was that bad. You couldn't even ping the f'kin DNS servers you were allegedly connected to! - Pathetic! :roll:

So, wasn't it a blessing the day ADSL went live here in St. Austell on 31/03/2002. I was the 4th Person to get ADSL & it was like fookin' Lightning. A 512K line cost £40 then. you could Download files in the background & still play on-line Games with absolutely ZERO fps hit for it. - And that's using a PII with Voodoo3 & ADSL PCI Card. Was like dailing up on a modem, but using your ADSL service for connection. Click Connect & less than 1 second later, you were on line!

We had problems getting more than 2Mb here & eventually got an 8Mb service via Nildram ISP. I beta tested 8Mb without any drop outs or issues. Gaming was spot on, fragging headshots for breakfast with one shot so effortlessly, but I couldn't download in the background whilst gaming & my log on times with my Netgear router were taking as long as 2 minutes & thirty seconds before I could load my home Page (Google UK btw)

Over the last nearly 3 years now, I have slowly seen my ADSL service get slower & slower. The SNR margin on my router has just got less & less at set speeds, resulting in even slower speeds to help lift the SNR. We had our Phone line moved from an Electrical pole about 2 years ago. It came to the back of the house & brought in a whole pile of noise from the overhead Electrical wires to the houses. Once at the front of the property, we had ZERO noise on our Digital DEC Phones & the ADSL service was good again for about 18 months. In the last 6 months, we have the electrical buzz/Frying pan sound back on the Voice side of things & my SNR ratios are about HALF what they should be compared to before 6 months ago.
My last ISP sent engineers out on 2 occasions. When the dumb fuk's arrived here, (BT Open Reach) they were only PSTN Engineers & couldn't do ADSL tests. I phoned BT Faults & tried 5 times to get an ADSL engineer out. On ALL occasions, BT insisted it the fault raised was a PSTN fault. Meantime, since January this year, we have had £599.00 + VAT of other charges slapped on the bill because of this.
I acted by getting a PTO (Precision Test Officer) in from BT. He'd been here before & found us a spare pair of Copper wires up our road. I had been on Aluminium for about 80 yards whilst beta testing 8mb, so Aluminium wasn't doing a bad job really! He stood in my workshop saying he was going to replace the last 4m of Aluminium wire, that formed part of the WP out of our local Cabinet on up our road. he also said he should be charging us for this work! :shock: The following day, I saw my ADSL service go out for a few hours at 10.00am & then go live again around 1pm. There was NO surprise from me to see my ADSL service fall over & die on a reset @ approx 7pm...just like it had been for the last how many frigging months. :roll:

My new ISP recently picked up the Ball about my issues. Their engineers had been monitoring my line for nearly 2 months & the conditions they were seeing on my line suggested there certainly were some serious issues at hand. They actually got a BT Open reach PSTN/ADSL competent Engineer here, - F'K ME! :shock:
Well I know he's had the ADSL training, he'd been here that often :roll: ) but he cant be competent. When he was here, he said he couldn't run the tests because I was on DATA Stream & not IP stream. I already knew he was gunno say you need to see your ISP & there it stopped. My ISP said I was in a different Cloud from their Normal users & was probably something to do with that!?!?

I raised another issue with my current ISP. They still have to phone & their deadline is 72 hours, now 86 hours.......

Total f'kin Pi$$ take by retard mutant pillocks that think they know how to do a job. BT couldn't wire a f'kin LAN Party up, but BT blame your ISP & your ISP blame BT. Meantime, BT still charge you top rate whilst F'kin you in the Arse! - BASTARDS! - I just don't know how they get away with this shit! :evil:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Re: Kin Bags first rant......

/Merlin wonders where the strange whining noise is coming from.......^^^^^^

I think we should have called it The Whine Bar...... :mrgreen:

:LOL:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

/Kin knows Merlin's devious ways but can't help rise to the occasion....

You laugh Merlin...I'm on 5mb, & can NOT interact with Games. You cant hit <snip> cos NOTHING registers & Surfing is like being on a <snip> Modem...Stupid <snip>! - I could get a better connection with a <snip> Wireless Lap Top sat on the <snip> Moon in Flip Flops ffs! :evil:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Kinnie

Perhaps that may not have been the best subject to choose as set an example to the members on how to rant....... :shock: :oops:

*cough*

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I am snipped to bits to say the least! :shock:

Apologies My Master.... :oops:

*cough*

...but it's a Rant! :twisted:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

First off, ADSL is normally used on Fibre; Has been in the US & most of Europe for the last 20 years or so. Unfortunately, we had BT (British Telecom) taking up the reins to launch ADSL for the UK. Unfortunately, it cost Millions to get it to work down Copper Wire.

Umm... ADSL was designed specifically for copper wire, not fibre.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

In the UK H, yes. Not the rest of the world.

ZeBeeDee

Banned

/wanders in

I have to ask @ Kin ... are you available 2 weeks before Christmas? I'll be needing some balloons filling with hot air :mrgreen:

/wanders back out again

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

ADSL was designed specifically for use over copper wire based telephone networks. This is the case in Japan, the US, Europe, Australia etc. Basically the whole world. Fibre broadband uses FTTx, but can also be used to provide DSL or DSLx broadband (not ADSL).

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

same here in Greece... I have a 24mbit line (NO FIBER ofcourse) locking at ~17.500kbps, and for some reason it now locks at 15.072 ... used to dl stuff with 1.5-1.7mb/s , and now I am stuck at 1mb/s ... Suddenly I am not so mad now, I see this shit happens elsewhere too :? :? :?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

It happens everywhere.

However in the UK the speed of the actual broadband connection isn't the only issue. We also have the bullshit of capped connections so you can hardly find an unlimited broadband package these days.

Many ISPs now set stupid cap limits like 30GB a month bandwidth allowance. I would use that up in a day or two at most! Other offer slightly more at say 50GB, but that is still way too little for anyone using their connection seriously. You can still find some with higher caps. Mine for example currently has a cap of 360GB a month, and I only go over that some months, and they then charge me 50p per GB used over the Cap for the remainder of the month. However there is also a hidden addition to that cap limit. Peak time is capped at a stupid low 40GB for the while month with the remainder being for off peak use. You can see the idea behind this, to reduce overloading their broadband connections at peak hours. However they set the peak hours as being 8am - 10pm. What bullshit is that. Easy. A cheap way to make more money is what it is!

I used to be on an unlimited package. No caps. It was great. Max out my connection 24/7 hovering down whatever I liked. Then this peak time capping crap came in and now I have to set the scheduler in uTorrent to throttle back the upload and download rates between these hours to try and reduce the bandwidth being used. Then at 10pm the throttling is removed and my connection gets a work out until 8am the next day. Very annoying, and for what I have to pay for the connection it is a complete rip off.

I am going to be switching to Be soon to get a much faster 24Mbit ADSL2+ connection. Hopefully this will be much nicer. And from what I can tell Be don't have any bandwidth caps.

Something else you have to watch with UK ISPs is their fair use policy. Basically a get out clause for the ISP to instantly disconnect you account and connection if they feel like it. Most of these policies state stupid things like it's unfair if you download more than a given amount in a set number of hours, or if your connection is constantly maxxing out our bandwidth. How mad and stupid is that? Especially with the hype surrounding the whole Web2 revolution with streaming video content provided on nearly all sites, and dedicated streaming video content for things like iPlayer. The two sides of the internet are currently working completely against each other.

ZeBeeDee

Banned

@ Harrison

Be aware with Be Internet, you don't get an email address unless you are willing to pay extra for it. Their level of service however is so much better than the one you describe in your post. Check using the the number checker @ http://www.bethere.co.uk and it will even tell you the maximum speed you can get.

I've been with Be from October due to a certain cable supplier giving me the runaround and it's the best decision I've made.

One tip I will give anybody in the UK that uses a telephone extension to plug their ADSL modem into is to go inside the extension socket on the wall and remove the bell ringer wire (usually in connection #3 - Orange cable with white ring) as apparently this can give a more stable ADSL signal but not in all cases (doesn't hurt to try - I did and it worked great for me). Read here for further information http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#235

According to a test I just performed, my speed is:

358169855.png

*Addendum*

I'm 1.7Km from the local telephone exchange and as the above states, I'm more than happy with Be Internet.

For those without calculators to hand -

8372 kB/s is 68583.42 Kbps or 68.58 Mbps ::: 8.37 MB/sec Download speed
1104 kB/s is 9043.97 Kbps Or 9.04 Mbps ::: 1.1 MB/sec Upload speed

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Cheers ZeBeeDee.

The bell wire disconnection is a common hack that can fix line interference. In fact the two centre bell ring wires can be theoretically disconnected at the master socket as nothing actually uses them any more.

Are you on ADSL2+ with Be? If so your connection speed seems a bit low. Which package are you on?

And isn't the Speedtest results you are showing giving it as Kb and not KB? Therefore that would make your download bandwidth 8372Kb/s = 1.02MB/s which seems more likely considering ADSL2+ has a theoretical maximum speed of 24Mb/s = 3MB/s.

BTW, that is a great ping rate. Hope you play online with a rate that low. :LOL:

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne

Wow, you guys really have nothing to complain about compared to how badly we aussies get %$*#@& in the $%^& on our plans. Right now at home I pay $70AU a month for 40gig at 1.5mbit. My download speed is 150-160 kb/s.

There are no unlimited plans here and if you want fast internet you have to pay through the nose.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

You think Internet connection is bad in your countries?

Try to live in Banana Land! Crappy internet speeds (usually 400kbps, up to 2Mbit), traffic shaping*(!!!!) and providers charging too much from costumers. :evil:

*Traffic Shaping is a program who is running on the local telephone companies who disconnect the user if he/she is using a P2P program, or it low the connection speed "automagically" for you.

Since there is no way to prove they are using such a program, no way to toss a justice process on their arse. :evil: :evil: :evil:

ZeBeeDee

Banned

Harrison said:
Cheers ZeBeeDee.

The bell wire disconnection is a common hack that can fix line interference. In fact the two centre bell ring wires can be theoretically disconnected at the master socket as nothing actually uses them any more.

Are you on ADSL2+ with Be? If so your connection speed seems a bit low. Which package are you on?

And isn't the Speedtest results you are showing giving it as Kb and not KB? Therefore that would make your download bandwidth 8372Kb/s = 1.02MB/s which seems more likely considering ADSL2+ has a theoretical maximum speed of 24Mb/s = 3MB/s.

BTW, that is a great ping rate. Hope you play online with a rate that low. :LOL:

I'm on the standard Be Unlimited package (18 per month) and the speed is pretty consistent, even at peek times. They say at Be my max theoretical speed is 14mb due to the distance from the telephone exchange (the max I've been able to obtain was 11mb) but considering the alternative traffic shaping and 75% loss of bandwidth via VirginMedia if you go over quota for the day, Be is a godsend. :p

They don't mind if you set up a mail server or a game server ... in fact you can re-program the modem through the website to suit your intended use - it's BRILLIANT!

No contract either ... you only have to give them 3 months notice if you intend to swap to cancel the service.

Nah, no need to play online when you have a Wii, Xbox360 and a PS2 in the house ... all chipped to play *ahem* imports *cough* :mrgreen:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Also be Aware, your exchange has to have "Be" hardware in it, otherwise you can't have their Services. St. Austell exchange is LLU ready, as required by "Be". But, no "Be" hardware means no "Be" service here until it is installed.

Just another way the crap has been rolled & farmed out....

If you can't see it, this is the way BT Wholesale have got around shafting everyone. Whilst BT Wholesale were put in charge of a really crappily wired Network, the above crap gets around BT wholesale doing anything really constructive towards replacing the really crap wiring. This get handed out to Bt Openreach who come to your home, say you're on DATASTREAM & not IPSTREAM so they can't run their tests. They blame your ISP & then your ISP say you are on IPSTREAM. The Electrical BUZZ on your phone line, is according to BT OpenReach, a result of your Digital DEC phone!? <-- Just as Blasphemous as saying Felicity Kendal was an out & out Lesbian Dildo Queen! (I'd still watch tho' :mrgreen: )

The result is crap service on crap wires resulting in a very frustratingly crap experience. My first rant in here is NOT about this ISP against another ISP. It's about the sh*te wires that bring these kinds of service to my home. The more the network gets bigger, the worse my phone line becomes. I've seen it on Dial Up Modems, ISDN & ADSL over the years. The exchange shows green, so there should be plenty of bandwidth. I use to get 8Mb interleaving Off (Fastpath) with 12Db SNR constant, now I'm at 5Mb interleaving On (Tripples ur f'kin Pings ffs) with wildly fluctuating SNR's from 13db best to 0db worst. Obviously when it hits zero, the connection dicks out!

So please, read the relevant info before pimping someone else's thread with your own perception of events.
Your events are purely relevant to the condition of your wires from home to Exchange, your exchange facilities & the muppet's at your ISP pressing the right buttons!

Summat's gunno give here!

:explode

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom