Lantronix Modem Emulators

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone, I don't know why I did not post this here before, but this might interest some of you. Lantronix makes Serial to Ethernet devices for connecting serial devices to a network. They also have another feature that makes them great for retro computers; a Modem Emulation Mode.

With modem emulation, you can use these devices to connect to Telnet Bulletin Board Systems from your retro computers! You can also connect two computers together using these devices over the internet just like you would a modem to modem connection. This means you can use them for modem games so long as each user has one. :)

Someone is selling these with a very cheap BIN on the other bay at the moment, but there are only three left. I bought 6 of them! Four of them are for here at work to connect serial devices to the network, but the other two are for my modem emulation. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lantronix-MSS-1...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414f14ead4

Here's a post I made on Lemon about setting them up for Modem Emulation Mode.

Enjoy!

Heather

SkydivinGirl said:
For anyone who bought the Lantronix MSS100 Serial to Ethernet devices I listed above, here are directions for setting it up to work as a telnet modem. This assumes you have done a factory reset.

1. Plug the computer into the Lantronix adapter using a Null Modem cable.

2. Start your Terminal software connected to the correct COM port with the following settings: 9600/N/8/1 XON/XOFF

3. Plug the power into the Lantronix adapter. Your Terminal software will show the boot up sequence and it will also show you the IP address it receives from DHCP so you don't have to log into your router to get the address. :)

4. Open your web browser then type in the IP Address of the Lantronix adapter in the Address bar.

5. Click "Port Properties" on the left then set the following settings:

-Port Properties-

-Serial Port Settings-
Access: Local
DTR Wait: Checked
DSR Logout: Checked
Modem Emulation: Checked

-Connection-
Autostart with No Characters: Checked

6. Set the Speed, Char, Stop, Parity and Flow settings to the correct settings for your computer then click "Update Port Settings"

That's all there is to it! After it is updated, everything should start working but I would reboot the device to be sure. :)

Hope that makes it simple for you. It ended up being more of a pain than the other device I've used.

Take care,

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Thanx! Got one on the way!
And I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything else retro for a bit....

Well, I knew I was lying to myself at the time anyway. ;-)

Hmm.. Wonder if I can set up PPP over ethernet instead of serial on my Linux box for the Amiga to "dial" into??? (SLIP, SLIRP, etc..)

desiv

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Excellent desiv! I'd love to try a modem game, maybe Firepower or Fighter Duel Pro, over the internet with these some time if you're up for it. :)

Take care,

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Excellent desiv! I'd love to try a modem game, maybe Firepower or Fighter Duel Pro, over the internet with these some time if you're up for it. :)

Sounds great! Maybe a little Stunt Track Racer... ;-)

I wasn't thinking about games initially for some reason..

I was also thinking I can telnet into my Linux box and use lynx for web and rz/sz for file transfers with JRComm..
Should be fun...

desiv

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@desiv

I'm sure it will work great for getting to your Linux box. :) I didn't know Stunt Car Racer was modem capable. That's a fun game too.

@xc8

I played lots of Firepower (long distance) with a friend in Michigan. It was always fun. :) I also played in some Fighter Duel Pro tourneys when I lived in Washington, DC. Good times!

All the devices are sold on eBay. I actually bought the last one for someone from Lemon64 who lives in Canada because the person did not ship International.

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, got it...
Haven't set it up yet tho.
1: We're finishing up our move, so I haven't had any time.... :-(
2: With all the power adapters I have, a 5v with that plug size isn't one of them! :-(

So I'll have to pick that up...

But, I'll get to it!!!

desiv

p.s. In the move, I've lost my 2M PCMCIA RAM card.. :-( Hopefully that will turn up too.
Good news is that I now have both the 1200 and the 500 set up and running.
I need the 500 to test tomthul's adapter (I have a 2091 with no RAM. I need to get/make a female/female power adapter for the SCSI drive I have; that's also on the list), and my A-Max device only works properly on the 500. It "kind of " works on the 1200.. :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
With all the power adapters I have, a 5v with that plug size isn't one of them! :-(
I was in the same predicament. The end that you need is 2.5mm×5.5mm. If you have the smaller type plug (2.1mmx5mm), you can get an adapter on eBay that will convert it. :) I bought some of these and they worked perfectly.

I hope you find your RAM adapter. I recently mis-placed an iPod Nano and I can't seem to find it. Either old age creeping up on my memory or I simply lost it somewhere.

Let me know if you need any help with the adapter!

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, I found a power adapter at Goodwill that was the right Voltage, Amps (a few more than needed in fact), polarity AND had the correct tip!
Good, because I was planning on cutting up some of the ones that I have, and this is much nicer. :)

I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Also, my copy of Fighter Duel showed up...
Well, kind of..
It's the Corsair vs. Zero box and manual and disk 2 of the game (no disk 1).
I'll DL the cracked version, but if disk 1 is copyable, I might try to get a good copy of that at some time (or if I get really lucky, an original).
However, it also came with Fighter Duel Pro disks (all 3) and Fighter Duel Pro 2 disks (all 4). (No manuals or boxes for those, just disks..)
(That's all exactly as described when I bought it, so I knew there was no Disk 1 for CvZ)

I had one of those back in the day, and I'm pretty sure it was Corsair vs Zero...

I remember buying it mostly because it was Hires / Interlace and FAST (20+ FPS) on a standard Amiga...

Also, I did find my PCMCIA RAM card! Yeay... No need to say any more about..
What? er.. where?
That doesn't matter, what's important is that it was found and..
OK, OK! Stop hounding me!!!!
It was ON the Amiga..
Yes, right ON TOP OF IT!!! I SWEAR I LOOKED THERE!!! BUT...
The way I have it set up, the Amiga is under another shelf, and I have to slide it out a bit to get to the F-keys...

But I still can't believe the card was RIGHT THERE!!! :-( Oh well..

I'll let you know when I get closer to having the lantronix box set up..

desiv

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
It was ON the Amiga..
Yes, right ON TOP OF IT!!! I SWEAR I LOOKED THERE!!! BUT...
LOL! I do this all the time. I was looking for something yesterday. Looked everywhere and it was sitting right out in the open. :)

I'm glad you found a power adapter. I think you'll enjoy the device. Definitely let me know when you have it configured and we can try out the game. I've got originals for Fighter Duel Pro 2 so we can try that one out.

Talk with ya soon!

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
I'm glad you found a power adapter. I think you'll enjoy the device. Definitely let me know when you have it configured and we can try out the game. I've got originals for Fighter Duel Pro 2 so we can try that one out.

OK, it looks like it works.
I plugged it in (Luckily, I have plenty of DB25 Null and gender benders around) and got it working.
I set it for modem emulation mode and popped in JRComm.

I was able to connect into my Linux box once I figured it all out.

Learned 2 things.

1: This is a very kual device! :)
2: JRComm is a very bad linux terminal emulator. :-( I was able to launch lynx through the shell and go to google and here, but the terminal emulation is so bad, I could barely tell what I was doing. (No screen clearing for one made it pretty messy. :) )

I have some other Amiga terminal programs around here I'll try.

Getting closer.

OK, we both have Fighter Duel Pro 2, so we can try that when I'm all set up (and after I've figured out how to play it.. :). )

desiv

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
OK, it looks like it works.
Hurray! Glad it's working well for you. :) I just picked up a new RS-232 adapter for my C64 so I'll be doing some telnet bbsing on my 8-Bit system using this device. :D

1: This is a very kual device! :)
I'm very glad you like it! They breathe new life into our retro systems. :) Using it for terminal emulation/BBS applications is nice, but I think using it with modem enabled games should be neat. Take your time learning the game and let me know when you want to play.

Ciao!

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, if this works, this will by my first post from my Amiga with this device.
Using ATalk III, which looks to have better VT100 emulation.

Off to look for some telnet BBSes, now that you mentioned it.

desiv
p.s. It worked, although I did go back from my Linux box and edit to fix a typo. :)

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Thanx!
My first reaction was: "That's $10 less than I paid!!!"
Then I realized shipping was $10 more than I paid.. :)

So, about the same price..

I'd recommend it for getting a serial device connected....

The modem emulation mode supports DNS too, so to connect to a telnet BBS in ATalk II, I type:
atdt pilbara.sytes.net
And I'm in. I spent a LOT of time on BBSes, so this is very nice Retro for me.. :)

desiv

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
My first reaction was: "That's $10 less than I paid!!!"
Then I realized shipping was $10 more than I paid.. :)
Yep! The shipping costs can definitely get you. It's great to see that there is another batch available. I bought six of them from the other seller (two for me and four for where I work) and they went quite fast. They are from a different seller in the same area of the country. They must have been auctioned to these sellers from a company that went out of business or something.

The modem emulation mode supports DNS too, so to connect to a telnet BBS in ATalk II, I type:
atdt pilbara.sites.net
That's wonderful! I hadn't actually tried that yet but I was planning to do so. I'm sure some old software and games won't allow certain characters in the phone number field. Using DNS can get around those limitations. :D

Good stuff!

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Too bad the seller don't ship overseas. I love to put my dirty hands in one of those babies.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@rkauer

I'd be happy to be an intermediary for you. I've done it for others here in the past. :D It would be an additional $13.45 for a U.S. Post Office small flat rate box shipment from here to you.

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Finally I got my filthy hands on a UDS200. It seems to be the very same device, but with two serial ports on it.

Looks like the perfect solution to give a pair of Amigas a bit of LAN connectivity! My A500 will be online after twenty years!

Anyone for Stunt Car Racing?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I'd love to play some online games with you once I get my house put back together. I hope that will be done within the next month. :)

I'm glad you finally got one of these, Rogerio! They really are neat devices. :p

Heather

Top Bottom