LCD for Amiga 1000?

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Since I am now setting up both of my Amigas for possible uses in my studio/computer workshop and I only have 1 1084 monitor, I was thinking getting a white 15" LCD to set on top of my Amiga 1000. I think this would not only look great but be less weight on top of my electric piano than the 1084. I was looking at some NEC multisync LCDs but they only have 31 Hz horizontal sync and isn't the Amiga 1000's going to be 15? What do I need to do this properly? Amigakit has an RGB to VGA adapter and it says it will work with anything that handles 31.5Hz but I've seen elsewhere that the 1000 will put out 15Hz. Do I need a scan doubler or one of those 15Hz CGA to VGA scaler adapter you see on ebay? Are there any LCDs that will sync to 15Hz Amiga video so I can use the less expensive adapter from Amigakit or will I have to buy a 15Khz RGB CGA to VGA Converter Scaler? I also have a spare 520 but that wouldn't look that great, would it?

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
For decent results on a LCD monitor, you'll want a proper amiga Scandoubler, the latest and best is the Indivision.

Have you considered just getting an LCD TV rather than a monitor, as they will support 15khz straight away, and with an RGB scart cable you should get a nice clean image.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Dear Amig,

We had quite a few threads about this there exists some solution's, the VGA adapter from amigakit does nothing, exept wiring, so'you won't be able to play games if you do not have a true multisync. It can be a pain in the .. Nobody likes it that way much, but some use 2 monitors then and are happy with it.

If you can afford use the indivision ecs, it is said that you need an extra adapter, but it should be available for the A1000. (you might need to look into that one) I should check with the creator if it is running ok. (Jens, Individual)

I am cheap for the A1000 and use the s-video output of Amigamaniac's rgb to s-video board. (showing the color mistake on the motherboard, I've go to much blue in) That together with a poloroid tv, not great for daily use.. but doable..

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
I will get the Indivision ECS with the adapter board for the 1000 when I can afford to. For now, I will just move the monitor or use the 520 with another old composite monitor or TV. Thanks for the help guys!

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
What about some kind of external scan doubler so I don't have to hack the VGA port onto the back of my 1000? The Indivision looks great but if there's a good used external solution, that might be better in this case. My A1000 is in very good condition. Only the keyboard is yellowed in front. I would really like the LCD to get the weight of the 1080 off the top of the case although this cases no trouble in operation.

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Imo don't go with the external solution. It's quality doesn't match at all with Indivision ECS not to mention it doesn't work 100% on all LCD Monitors.
Apart from that... hacking cautiously the VGA connector is kinda l33t and results will be awesome if done correctlly :)

If you can't afford Indy ECS you can always go to RGB-->S-VHS-->S-VHS to VGA adapter which can have very nice results (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50252)

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
fitzsteve has a 22" samsung which is able to take the flicker away from InterLace screen modes

I`m fairly sure it has scart and vga conectors

But as I don`t know the modle No you will have to ask Him about it

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
I suppose I will eventually get the Indivision ECS and figure an elegant way to include the VGA on the rear of the 1000. I just don's want to hack a hole in the plastic of my A1000. It does look like the best solution. For now, I'll use my 1084 until I can afford the scan doubler and a nice white LCD to match the A1000. Maybe if I find a used one, I can do it sooner.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
fitzsteve has a 22" samsung which is able to take the flicker away from InterLace screen modes

I`m fairly sure it has scart and vga conectors

But as I don`t know the modle No you will have to ask Him about it

Hey mate, the 22" samsung is my PC Monitor, no Scarts here...

The one I use for the Miggys is a 17" JVC (JVC-LT-17E31BJG) and connected via RGB scart.

@AmiG, I can post a pic if you like? However in USA you don't have scart do you, so its probably not going to be much use...

Steve.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I use an Iiyama 17" TFT with my Amigas. The model I use is an AS4332UT:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/25217/iiyama-as4332ut

It's quite a neat little beast, with two DVI-I inputs, an S-Video and a composite video. The price tag stated there is £680, but that was a good few years ago, I'm sure you could pick one up much cheaper on the Other Bay by now. :)

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
I used to own a very nice Iiyama 21" CRT monitor. I will look into these as I remember that monitor worked well and looked absolutely great!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I still have the old Yiamaha vision master pro 520, nice for photoshopping untill this day.... Not great for Amiga use, only a couple modes work without the indivision. I read here and there that the lcd's are not that good from them :huh: But did not have one unit so, only second hand info..

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
why I like Fitzsteves 17" JVC (JVC-LT-17E31BJG) is no flicker in interlace

jammy so and so, no need for an indi with that

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Well, I bit the bullet so to speak and bought the Indivision Scan Doubler and A1000 adapter for it. I just can't stand having a heavy CRT on top of my baby. I've never had the disk drive problems that I've read about with heavy CRTs on top but I'd hate to buckle the top of the case. It already has a little buckle to it and I'd just rather get a nice LCD to sit up there and not stress the old plastic. I suppose it might be overkill for running WB 1.3 and older audio and music apps I've been picking up, but then again, with more expansion, I'll probably run 3.1 on it someday as I do have a copy on floppies and I have the kickstart ROM image on my Amiga Forever CD. Now I need to choose LCD size and model. Max resolution for 1.3 is ??? 640X200? What the max resolution the 1000 can do with 1.3 or 3.1? Hmmm....

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
About the resolution: even upgrading the ROM will not upgrade the maximum resolution your A1000 can handle.

The Indivision ECS will handle the resolutions and fix the problems with LCD panels in a superb way. Too bad the A1000 Denise can't use PAL resolutions, as other Amigas can do (even on NTSC land).

Maybe the ECS version can use HiGFX like the AGA one? If so, it is just a matter of how much Chip RAM you have in the A1000.

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
The A1000 can only address 512K of chip RAM no matter what. I will probably be stuck at 640X200 or 400 interlaced, but this machine is going to see mainly audio work anyway. I will use my 500 more for games and graphics anyway with it's 1MB chip RAM and 2MB fast RAM expansion(SupraRAM). I think I will only buy a 15" LCD for it due to this and it being less weight. The 500 will get my 1084 for now until I can afford a second Indivision ECS.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Sorry for the little hijack, but can the ecs chip not be replaced by an A500 one? i've read here and there it is done for compatibility.. and then adress more mem? Am I wrong?

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Sorry for the little hijack, but can the ecs chip not be replaced by an A500 one? i've read here and there it is done for compatibility.. and then adress more mem? Am I wrong?

If so, then it is interesting to me. I know the Fatter Angus won't fit in the A1000 as it's a different chip with different pinout. Not sure about a later Agnus from an A500 though. A500's are the most common here in the US and I could probably find a non-working one for parts or at least find the part on ebay. I won't sacrifice mine though. It's got a DKB ROM switcher with 1.3 and 3.1 ROMs and also the chip RAM mod. It could use a new case though. Hmmm.

Back on topic, I'm looking at either a used NEC or Phillips 15" LCD. 15" LCDs are cheap now and I think it would be the perfect match for the A1000.

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
So I got a 15" AOC LCD for $36 today. I think it will be fine for use with the A1000. It's white and has kind of a thicker surround that looks somewhat vintage and I think will be just perfect in the looks department.

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
I managed to get two LCDs for each of my Amigas. The first is an older NEC MultiSync 1530V that supports Horizontal scan from 31kHz to 60kHz and Vertical scan from 52.1 kHz to 75kHz. The second is an AOC that supports H-Freq. 30kHz-60kHz and V-Freq. 50kHz to 75kHz I have the ECS scan doubler in my A500 but have not been able to get anything for the A1000 as of yet. :(

Top Bottom