LCD monitor sync to Amiga resolutions?

SpazAxe

Country
London
Could anyone suggest, I've got a 17" TFT (4:3) which syncs down to vert 56khz which I was hoping to use with my recently acquired A1200. My google research suggests you need a monitor that syncs down to 50khz for this device?

Last edited by a moderator:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The vast majority of LCD monitors don't sync to Amiga native resolutions.

The monitor must accept 50Hz vertical refresh and 15kHz horizontal frequency.

Most LCD TV monitors do this, and European units usually have a SCART input.

Some (very) few LCD TV monitors can sync to Amiga native resolutions when connected to the RGB/VGA input.

There is a list of compatible monitors on this thread on EAB.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi SpazAxe,

I would suggest an LCD TV, thats what I am using on my Amiga's a little 17in JVC and its perfect for the job via Scart connection.

If you want to use the LCD Monitor you are probably going to need an Indivision AGA but they are a) expensive and b) not in stock at the moment so you'd have to find a used one.

Steve.

SpazAxe

Country
London
Thanks guys. Yes it does look like I may need to get a LCD TV. I assume I'll have to get one 2nd hand for 4:3 aspect ratio these days.

@runequester - Wow, that device looks pretty neat. Do you use it with the composite in wires, or did you wire it up to the Amiga's RGB port?

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Have any pics of the picture quality?

Full 24bit so it doesn't dither AGA?

Does it process 50Hz up to 60Hz? or does it leave PAL output at 50Hz? I personally would rather it leave it at the native scan frequency. Or at least have a choice. Other wise PAL games and demos would have these odd scrolling stutters.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
If you want to use the LCD Monitor you are probably going to need an Indivision AGA but they are a) expensive and b) not in stock at the moment so you'd have to find a used one.

Amigakit seems to have the Indivision AGA in stock.

I can recommend LG Flatron 173 ST. It has scart and displays the Amiga RGB modes. It's a discontinued model, though.

SpazAxe

Country
London
A1200 Indivisions in stock at Amigakit!

A1200 Indivisions in stock at Amigakit!

Amigakit seems to have the Indivision AGA in stock.

Not for the A1200 they don't.

Vesalia had seven in-stock yesterday, but it looks like they've sold out again. :(

Just bought one from Amiga kit. They do now have A1200 Indivisions in stock! - EDIT: I've ORDERED one. Amigakit's website say they expect them in stock July 15th.

Amigarobbo

AmiBayer
Country
Widnes, UK
Region
Cheshire
About the Indivision AGA 1200, :readit: it's got a new VGA connector, does that fit in that hole at the very back right? Does it have a mounting bracket for that port?? And the cables don't get in the way or anything? Also I'd like to keep the top metal sheet on the Desktop 1200, does it fit underneath? or would I have to remove it?

And am I asking these questions in the right place?? :blink:

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
About the Indivision AGA 1200, :readit: it's got a new VGA connector, does that fit in that hole at the very back right? Does it have a mounting bracket for that port?? And the cables don't get in the way or anything? Also I'd like to keep the top metal sheet on the Desktop 1200, does it fit underneath? or would I have to remove it?

And am I asking these questions in the right place?? :blink:

This might not help, but when I ordered mine from AmigaKit, I had also ordered an A1200. They mounted the plug in the back hole with a custom bracket they made and did a fantastic job inside of keeping the cables "neat". I also liked the way they mounted the 80 gig Hd, with a custom cable and put a small plastic sheet glued on the indivision so the hard drive could not touch or ground it out. They also hot glued all the connections in place.
As for the RF shield, I think you will need to ditch it cut a hole in it for the indivision to fit. its not needed anyway

Amigarobbo

AmiBayer
Country
Widnes, UK
Region
Cheshire
Just asked Amikit, they say nope, it don't come with fitting bracket, and can't be used with the top metal cage on top, but according to this review http://amiga.erkan.se/index.php/indivision-aga-tested-verdict-purchase-one-or-two-now/ you can with some 'modifications'. But if Amigakit say so, it's probably too much modification to make it worthwhile, so...

I think instead of trying to turn my 1200 into my old Amiga 4000/60 cybervision graphic card/networked etc, that I regret selling, I'd be better off getting a mulitscan monitor, or LCD TV or something, and just running my 1200 as a Games machine, which was the orginal idea..

Last edited:

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Yea, I kind of thought so.
They probably included a bracket in mine, because I bought almost a complete A1200 set up from them at the time. had everything but an excelorator/ram expansion. Cost a pretty penny too.
One piece of advice I can give. When I bought the indivision for my A4000, I had a ton of old graphics cards laying around (PCI S3Verge cards). I "stole" a mounting bracket from one, but just removing the 2 nuts on either side of the VGA connector and put the indivision plug in. Took only 2 minutes. on an A1200, you can do the same and just cut the End off with a set of tin-snips and just hot glue the bracket in. I know this may sound crazy and a lot of work, but it is a simple 5 minute project, that will look great and won't damage the A1200's case in any way.

Oh, and ditch the RF shield, its just a big royal PITA to keep putting back in.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The Amiga metal shield is very good to:

- keep in the way to reach the hardware;
- cut your fingers removing/putting it back;
- create more difficulty to air flowing inside;
- make short circuits on the accelerator slot (on the A1200).

So, as you see, it is useful for something.:)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
The Amiga metal shield is very good to:

- keep in the way to reach the hardware;
- cut your fingers removing/putting it back;
- create more difficulty to air flowing inside;
- make short circuits on the accelerator slot (on the A1200).

So, as you see, it is useful for something.:)

YES, EXACTLY,
I could not have said it so eloquently. Also if you accidentally dent, crimp or bend it, good luck ever getting it to line up properly again.

And has there been any proof that the ting actually works as an RF Shield, and really, if it does work, how effective is it?

The only RF shield that I know that is usefull is the one in the A1000. It will stop and protect the A1000 from a nuclear blast :wooha: It will stop bullets.

Top Bottom