Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I'm selling a Lenovo G550 laptop on behalf of my partners sister. It's been looked after and is in very good condition and full working order. There are a couple of light rub marks to the back of the lid which are hard to see in the photo (below the Lenovo print)... Nothing major. It comes complete with charger.

Specs:

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4500 Processor (2.30GHz)
* 3GB DDR3 RAM
* 250GB Hard Drive (with Lenovo recovery partition still setup)
* Intel GMA 4500 Graphics
* 15.6" Screen
* DVD±R/RW Optical Drive
* WiFi
* Integrated Webcam

It has genuine Windows 7 Ultimate installed & activated, but no disc or COA (I can provide the key used for installation which I recently recovered). There's a Windows Vista COA sticker underneath the laptop and they key is still visible.

Selling for £80 + p&p :cool: (was £90) - SOLD to DJ Echo

100_2649.jpg100_2647.jpg100_2644.jpg100_2645.jpg

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
The fact that it has Ultimate installed, says pirate version to me. If people were to buy an upgrade from Vista to 7, almost all non-geek consumers would get Home Premium.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
windows 7 is pretty good at knowing if you have a genuine copy or not. "it wasn't in the beginning but now its pretty quick to spot a fake"

I agree where you say most non computer savvy would opt for home premium..
But you have to also consider the hard sell sales person convincing people to buy any old crap they dont actually need too..

i would prefer to believe that "genuine windows and activated" does in fact mean exactly that.
I dont have any reason to believe otherwise.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
The fact that it has Ultimate installed, says pirate version to me. If people were to buy an upgrade from Vista to 7, almost all non-geek consumers would get Home Premium.

It's definitely not a pirated copy!... It's also a little rude to assume i'd sell something with a pirated OS installed (which i'd NEVER do). This laptop has been running Windows 7 Ultimate for the last 2-3 years now and is fully activated, has the genuine advantage logo and has been updating itself perfectly fine during those years too! My partners mother said today that she kept all the discs for safe keeping (my own advice which I vaguely remember), but can't seem to find them at the moment (she recently moved house too).

I'm actually the one who bought the laptop here on Amibay around 3 years ago on behalf of my partners sister, which also means I would have been the one who installed Windows 7 Ultimate.... I can't quite remember the details as it's been a few years and I've bought, sold, repaired and built many computers since then using various operating systems and hardware etc. I never use or install pirated versions of Windows, it would have been a surplus Windows 7 Ultimate disc or one I picked up at a good price.

I can probably use a key finder tool to recover the original Windows 7 Ultimate key that was used during installation if needed. It's not something I've ever had to do before, but it appears it's possible.

- - - Updated - - -

windows 7 is pretty good at knowing if you have a genuine copy or not. "it wasn't in the beginning but now its pretty quick to spot a fake"

Definitely true! I've built computers for people and have left it up to them to install their own OS (their request) and I've seen some come back for a clean up/upgrade with pirated versions of Windows installed. Some people have even asked me if I can crack or get around the failed activation/validation, but I tell them just to get a legit copy as it's less of a headache and you'll never win with a pirated copy.

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
It's definitely not a pirated copy!... It's also a little rude to assume i'd sell something with a pirated OS installed (which i'd NEVER do). This laptop has been running Windows 7 Ultimate for the last 2-3 years now and is fully activated, has the genuine advantage logo and has been updating itself perfectly fine during those years too!

Fair enough, but if there is no proof that it is a legal version, then it might as well be pirated in a buyer's eyes. This is similar to people selling their Amigas with Workbench pre-installed on the HDD. If you cannot supply the original media along with the hardware, then you are not allowed to sell it here until you wipe the HDD.

Along with Vista, Windows 7 is probably one of the easiest OSs to circumvent regarding licenses (if you know the procedure). Much easier than XP for sure. On most machines it is quite trivial to install a pirate Windows 7, get it activated, make it 'genuine' and have it keep updating for eternity without risk of it deactivating. Obviously this forum is not the place for details about this, but the point is that 'Genuine' and updates without issues is not a guarantee for it to be a proper version.

Go find those discs and everybody will be happy. I'm sure the buyer would like the physical media as well in case of reinstallation. :)

Lukeno94

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Worcestershire
demolition, I agree that it's rude to assume it is a pirated copy, particularly given that this is an experienced seller/Amibayer. That being said, I think finding the CoA, key or disc would help sway the naysayers.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Thanks for the suggestions and links guys :). If the original OS packaging can't be found (disc & COA) then I'll just wipe the laptop and leave it up to the buyer to choose and install their own OS. That way nobody can complain or accuse, even though I known myself that it's a 100% legit Win 7 installation.

I could even retrieve the key and ask MS to verify it for me so I can show potential buyers it's real. I'm not entirely sure if MS would even do that though? Might be worth a try?

Last edited:

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
If you've got a Windows Vista disc, or access to one, you could always install that if you can't find the 7 data.

He could but he would then have to give that license up.

The link I provided above will help you recover the key. There should be similar free software around if that doesn't work out for some reason. Once recovered you could simply provide the key and wipe the drive, if the key works on a completely fresh install from a verified disc installed by the buyer, there can be no doubt it's genuine.

I can provide legitimate links (Microsoft hosted for techies) for Windows disc image downloads provided there is a key to be used and you can tell me what version you need.

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
As people have mentioned, there are tools which can recover the key from the installation and if it is not an OEM key that appears and it can be validated with MS, then it is quite safe to say that it is a legit installation. If the key can be found on google, it is probably not legit..

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
there are tools to verify the windows 7 key.
I use them when i buy a laptop with a COA or buy a system with windows pre installed..
just dont use the online version windows product id checker "or something like that"

as for the vista licence thing.. that is attached to the lap top so HAS to be supplied with the laptop "or that is what the mfr and ms say"
so he does not lose a vista key at all..

Personally I would get the key from the registry using tools.
then write that down for the buyer..
I would also run it through windows pid checker take a screen shot of the result blank out they key from the screen shot and post that as evidence..

there is
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
that will let you pull the product id from the registry (usually near the bottom listed to the right of the opperating system..
and then i personally use
Windows7.PID.KEY.CHECKER.v.1.0.1

i will add an image of what that looks like for one of my windows 7 installs.
I have blanked out all the parts that i think should not bee seen on the inter web.

Attachments

• pid.png
    pid.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
1038   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I know this is the wrong place to ask, an admin should probably split this thread but I updated vista to Windows 8 on my netbook, all legally of course but it was downloaded from M$ so there is no media, am I allowed to sell my netbook with it installed? Just hypothetically speaking.

Last edited:

Lukeno94

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Worcestershire
I know this is the wrong place to ask, an admin should probably split this thread but I updated vista to Windows 8 on my netbook, all legally of course but it was downloaded from M$ so there is no media, am I allowed to sell my netbook with it installed? Just hypothetically speaking.
If you've got a legitimate key and an online receipt, it would be rather daft to not allow it.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Do you have any pictures of this yet?

Sorry, I got a bit side tracked with other stuff. Will try and post a few pics tomorrow when I get a bit of spare time (been a long day and i'm about to fall asleep!). I managed to upload pics for the tatty laptop in my other thread a few nights ago :).

and if it is not an OEM key that appears and it can be validated with MS, then it is quite safe to say that it is a legit installation.

90% of the time I buy the OEM versions of Windows (original with case, disc and COA) when putting together a new PC or even updating the OS on one. All 3 PC's in my house that I built are using OEM versions of Windows 8.1 that I bought from OcUK. The only downside is that it can only be used on whatever PC or laptop it first gets installed on... It's still a legitimate installation.

Anyway, I recovered the key using the software in the link that Amineo provided. I'm now just waiting on my partners mother to search through her loft for all the software I supplied with her daughters laptops and PC's over years... I'll probably wipe the laptop if it takes too long though. At least there's still a Vista COA on the laptop (if anyone is that desperate!).

Last edited:

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Price drop as the charger cable has just been repaired (her cat chewed through it :roll:). It still works fine and a replacement charger is cheap to buy anyway if needed.

Last edited:

bax001

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Just google your windows 7 ultimate key and you'll know if you have genuine copy or no. If google will show websites with that key it is not genuine. To be fair COA is only proof (except new computers with windows 8, because key is saved in bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom