fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Using some spares after upgrade I'm building a little PC for Emulation, I thought I'd share the build here with my AmiFriends and also ask a little advice on the Emulation side.

I just ordered this case as it seemed like a reasonable deal:

http://www.ebuyer.com/656419-cooler...olermaster-500watt-power-supply-4719512028933

The PC specs are modest but will still be able to play some pretty decent games and plenty of power for WinUAE, Mame, etc.

Motherboard - ASUS ASUS M5A78L USB3:

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M5A78LUSB3/

CPU - AMD FX-4170 (4.2 ghz Quad Core)

http://products.amd.com/pages/deskto...ookieSupport=1

Ram 4gb DDR3 - Corsair Value Select 1333 (single 4gb module)

I might need to double the Ram, will see how I get on first.

And finally GPU, my trusty GTX260 which served me so well for almost 3 years comes out of retirement!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-radeon,review-31608-7.html

So I will share some build pics once the case turns up, I'm wondering about emulation front ends, is there a package that does everything out of the box?

I'd like to hook up a nice custom Arcade panel, Joystick's & Buttons to get a nice gaming experience (Something like Johnim's that he takes to events)

I've got my old 64gb OCZ SSD from before upgrade and my old data drive (250gb SATA HDD with all my Roms and stuff on it) so it will be ready to go with my old install of Win7 64 but I'm thinking to wipe it and start fresh with good old WinXP, good idea?

That's all for now :)

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
nice little system steve.

have fun making the joysticks:) well...if you make them

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
nice little system steve.

have fun making the joysticks:) well...if you make them

Cheers bud. Yeah I think I'll make them up myself. I'm wondering if I can make them so they can be used with both the PC and also my Neo Geo MVS.

Will have to research that!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
So I got the new case today, it's reasonable quality for the money, certainly better then the really cheap ones but you notice it's a budget case when you open it.

P1080530.jpg

Ohh, fully wired PSU, how old skool!

P1080531.jpg

No SSD bays so using a funky plastic spacer...

P1080533.jpg

Motherboard, will be ready to go in once the stock AMD heatsink/fan is fitted.

P1080532.jpg

Damn lol, project halted due to snapped off bracket!

P1080534.jpg

Wasn't even that tight, I guess the plastic must have been fatigued. Oh well, new part ordered and project will continue next week...

Didn't realise how dusty the board was until the close up pics, will have to get the compressed air on it :D

Whilst I'm waiting I guess I should start looking at Joystick parts, where did you get your bits John?

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
Hi steve what snapped edit oh I see . I got the joystick and buttons from ebay as a bundle 2 joysticks

and buttons.

I used a cm430 case and psu for a mates build and was great for the price slightly more than yours with 500w psu

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I did look at that one, it looks slightly better. Still good enough for the project though. Shame about the clip, I thought I had a spare, eventually after emptying 10 boxes of junk I found it but was for another socket lol.

I've never liked the AMD sockets, having a retension bracket is a daft idea.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yay, new socket arrived:

P1080535.jpg

Quickly wired up to check it works...

P1080536.jpg

It lives!

P1080538.jpg

Next job, fit WiFi card and tidy the cables :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks for the Yay's!

@AF, Already has quite a lot of Emulators and stuff installed from before but going to look into front ends yeah :)

I had retired one of my data drives which had a lot of the Emulation stuff on it so it's working just like before!

WinDoze needs a good clean up though as a lot of broken links exist, can't be bothered to install again from scratch so going through and removing the dead links and updating the uninstall list...

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Geez I forgot how pants stock AMD coolers are. Much more respectable temps now I replaced with this:

P1080540.jpg P1080541.jpg

Forgot I had this left over from my other build, when I replaced with the H60 this went in the cupboard. Finding the AMD fitting kit was a nightmare though as it was on an Intel chip before and I had to go through about 10 boxes of bits to find it!

I think I'm ready to tidy up the cable work now :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Lol I think I have a little issue with the above fan. PC wouldn't boot at first today (first time using it since) LED on mobo was flashing and no power. Unplugged, waited and plugged back in then I got a solid LED (phew) booted PC watched the fan slowly spinning and stop! A little push and she's spinning again. Not good! Guess I need a new CPU cooler doh!

I'll see if I can get another refurb corsair hydro :)

On the plus side the PCI-E WiFi card is giving me 45mb/sec down and 18mb/sec up which is pretty impressive for WiFi (well at least I'm used to it being slower!)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Cheers ed. I bought a refurbished corsair hydro so that will be going in next week. Next job is to source joystick parts. Will be quizzing johnim this weekend!

Top Bottom