Little info required

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i've currently got a desktop a1200 with 8mb ram expansion for whdload.

However i also have an a1200 in Elbox Tower that is stock.
I'm looking at running OS3.9 and i believe i need more than just a ram expansion to do so.

I've found the E-Matrix 1230/40 with 16mb ram at amigakit and am considering it but i thought i'd ask some questions before hand.

Apparently the E-matrix has no MMU or FPU (not sure what either of these do) and i wondered if this will be a problem for 3.9 and some whdload gaming.

Alternatively i'm watching a GVP Jaws II 1230 with 32mb ram including MMU and FPU from ebay and wondered if that would be a better card.

The final option is an apollo 1240 with 32mb with MMU & FPU being sold on here that has the Mach 131 chips so apparently can easily be upgraded to a 1260.

Also i know talk of pricing is prohibited around here but if anyone has had the 1240 to 1260 upgrade done can you give me a rough price (Via PM) as this will influence my decision too.

All of these cards cost around the same price so which of the cards would you guys recommend.

Thanks

Mike

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Out of all the ones you've listed, the Apollo is best IMHO. Stachu100 (Stan) would be the guy to ask about the current cost of upgrading to 1260 class - Well worth it though as I have a 68060 running at a pleasent 80mhz with no probs :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Scappy

IMHO, lets look at the numbers -

1. [2.6 MIPS] 020@14MHz (Stock A1200) with FAST RAM
2. [8.2 MIPS] 030@40 MHz with FAST RAM
3. [18.1 MIPS] 040@25 MHz
4. [65.2 MIPS] 060@50 MHz
5. [100+ MIPS] 060@80 Mhz

This doesn't take into account the FLOPs or Floating point opperations, under 3.9 the FPU is used - transparently - to assist in the jpg viewing and as said decoding the background in workbench. (although alternative bitmap/iff backgrounds could be used)

With the exption of two programms that I know of - the MMU is not used unless you are attempting LINUX or other *NIX like AMIX*

For Apollo 040 to 060 upgrades - some alternatives to our good Statchu would be PG on amiga.org or JJB at Amiga Centre in France - prices will vairy as will postages.. depending on how much kit you already have to bear.

I would reccomend a minium 040@25Mhz for OS3.9 - although an 030 can cope it is a struggle, however choosing out of the 030 cards I would go for the 32MB GVP Jaws II as it will hold its value better (imho) and you can try and get the A1291 SCSI module for it too

Last edited:

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
thanks for the replies guys
To be honest stachu has an apollo 1260@80 with 64mb on sale on here already but it was a little more than i was looking to pay seeing as i also need a buffered interface but would it be worth just going for something like that and does the apollo have scsi support and is it any good?

regarding the upgrade i don't actuall have anything at hand so i believe i would need both the 060 cpu and a regulator?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@scrappy,

The Apollo doens't have native SCSI support but you can buy the SCSI module that would need to soldered to the actually card.

I will say that the SCSI on the Apollo is infact DIRE, it barely manages 3MB per second and the CPU load is horrendus - infact its better to stay native IDE and save up for a FAST ATA or IDEFix Express =)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
@scrappy,

The Apollo doens't have native SCSI support but you can buy the SCSI module that would need to soldered to the actually card.

I will say that the SCSI on the Apollo is infact DIRE, it barely manages 3MB per second and the CPU load is horrendus - infact its better to stay native IDE and save up for a FAST ATA or IDEFix Express =)

What he said ^^^^^ He types faster than me lol

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
moz-screenshot-13.png

You can't link to your own hard drive that way Zetty, it doesn't work. :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I dont think I have linked my friend.... ohh err.... didn't know that got blatted in there....

I blame the new kittens hittig up the keyboard.

Top Bottom