'localization'

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange

Country
Belgrade, Serbia
I was just wondering, would it be possible in future to expand the forum so that people can leave messages in their native languages. It would encourage everyone to buy/sell locally and that is always better considering postage+customs/reliability/time.. etc.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Re: 'localization'

Hi orange,

I can see where you are coming from, however, some of the Amibay moderator team are not all as well versed in languages as others may be. I can read and speak French and German, but that is only scratching the surface.

If you were to post in Serbian, I wouldn't have a clue what you were posting about and it creates problems with moderating and policing the site.

I don't have a short-term fix for this, so for now, it's best that all members post in English, however broken the English may be.

Would any other moderators care to comment?

Merlin

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

'Twould be a b1tch to keep tracks of tbh. I guess English is becoming a more universal language as time goes by & meantime, there are lots of on line Translators & time-Zone checks, should anyone wish to convert. :wink:

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

I've sent you a PM, orange, and I'm including a portion of it here:

"English is definitely preferred on the boards - it is the default language of the internet as a whole and of computing generally. We do not *require* use of English, but it is probably best to go to PM if you want to use other languages freely... I believe the site's software will support any common language through UTF-8 character encoding."

The bit about English not being *required* is because we do have a number of (chiefly northern European) languages spoken/readable amongst the staff, and it was originally decided in discussions when the site was first set up that we would be as tolerant as possible of people's needs... but in all truth it is best to use English (of any standard) on the public boards. We are here to try to help clear up any confusions that may arise.

The Devs will be able to give more information on what restrictions (if any) are imposed by phpBB3.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

As far as I am aware, PHPBB3.1 has all the Unicode a language could want ;) :D

Indeed, its always nice to keep a sale local however, its also nice to know an unwanted component / device / computer is going to a place where its wanted. :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Merlin sent me the PHPBB3 manual some months back!

I'm still reading....... :shock:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Unicode isn't really a direct part of PHPBB3, it is the character set format which the database uses to store it's data, and from PPBB3 unicode is now supported. This is a much more universal character set than other older ones such as Latin or Swedish which were both commonly used before this. Unicode supports the character sets from pretty much every language (other than symbol/pictograph based written language). Therefore it is now directly possible to post in most languages and retain the unique characters present in each written language.

However regardless of this, I think AmiBay posts should stay English as much as possible for the reasons of moderation already mentioned, and also to make the site and its posts world readable. As soon as you start to fragment the site into areas for different languages you start to restrict access to members who cannot speak and read those languages.

The best solution I can offer is that if a member wishes to post an advert in a different language, could they please post it twice within the advert topic. Once in the other language and then again in English. This way it is mirrored in English for everyone to be able to read. Good idea?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Good idea Harrison, although I'm not sure how answers to posts would be handled, that's a lot of double posts....

I'm not sure how much help this can be, but I have Systran 6 translation software on my PC. Some of the translations are a bit creative, though.... :oops:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@Orange

anyway you feel that will maximize you advert is great... multiple languages in a post would be fine in all truth, as long as its readable in both languages then all the better :D

remember a picture is worth a thousand words, and that in any language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom