Location - and the lack there-of

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeBeeDee

Banned
Too many times recently, there is a request in the threads from a moderator asking for people to state where they are. Perhaps positive action in the guise of an official warning and a quiet PM will do the trick.

A nice brightly lit statement on the front page might also be a good idea - plenty of room up there by the AmiBay logo so it won't detract from the board layout but still be visible.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: Location - and the lack there-of

Well Mr, we have been asking for a long time now & I dare say will for some time to come yet! There is room for making this a mandatory field when you sign up, but as you are probably not aware, this really is border line on the Official secrets act.
Location is not a compulsory field for any area of on-line interaction. Such information could be deemed as a way of making unsolicited contact & so on. We don't think this cr4p up, the Law Society does & we have to bend over & take it. Gone are the days where complete strangers respond to your "Good Morning" gesture. They look at you like you're an Alien or summat.
Anyway, on a brighter note, this is AmiBay. :D
It's a brighter world in here than most holes on the NET & we encourage Avatar Locations to help prospective punters know where this item/Service is in the World. We get some signers blinkered thinking the world ends at the end of their Street & genuinely never give the matter any thought.
Knowing where someone is located means you can pre-evaluate your shipping costs before you even hassle the seller. This kinda helps things flow a bit better, should keep the threads cleaner & stop muppets like me having to rack up brilliant Post score's! :roll: - my fingers have been bleeding from some of my sessions!
Oh crap, that's another nail busted - beetch! :mrgreen:

ZeBeeDee

Banned

@ kin
If you're bending over and getting ready to take it ... i'm outta here but I'll leave you some lube :LOL:

ZeBeeDee

Banned

meega said:
Do you really want us to start handing out "official warnings" to people?

Yes ... nobody reads topics buried away unless they have nothing better to do. Start being pro-active and save Kin's keyboard and chipped fingernails.

Make a topic about it a 'sticky' if necessary so there's no excuse. The mods go on and on about location, location, location - maybe its time to step on up and enforce it a bit more.

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

ZeBeeDee said:
Make a topic about it a 'sticky' if necessary so there's no excuse.
They are stickies already.

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

What about making the location field a requirement on registration? Is that possible?

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

Read Kin's post.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

but you could make location a requirement of selling on Amibay :wink:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ZeBeeDee

It's all about horses and water; you can take a horse to water, but it still won't put the kettle on...... :LOL:

All we can do is keep raising awareness, we really don't want to keep using the Moderators as a reminder service and we really don't want to go all "1984" on people and make it mandatory. In the UK, the Data Protection Act prevents us from publishing member details without their consent, therefore we can only ask members to put their location in their profile.

Cheers

Merlin

ZeBeeDee

Banned

@Merlin

Best you get Kin some nice new acrylic fingernails or a course of manicures for xmas then :LOL:

*Addendum*
Kin's sticky entitled "A Message to all NEW AmiBay Members" is a good example. Something like this should adorn every section alongside Zetr0's "Please read me before posting" sticky.

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

Why not edit the registration page and add a LARGE warning next to the location box stating it's requirement?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ ZeBeeDee

Someone already offered to take me out elsewhere on these forums, but they couldn't afford my Pimps rate for Sat/Sun. Double bubble on Sunday's! :mrgreen:

Meantime tho', I just wanna know if I can take a Lawsuit up on the grounds of Broken Nails? It's costing me a fortune in bitch-repair kits! 8)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

ZeBeeDee said:
@Kin

Do you accept Luncheon Vouchers?

Only if they are for "Tiffanys" or "Harrods" :mrgreen:

ZeBeeDee

Banned

I'm sure I can ask the local Chinese takeaway to rename themselves Harrods for the night :LOL:

cooyarpjm

Country
Australia
Region
Toowoomba Queensland

I personally can't see what all the fuss is for someone not to state where they are. Really if you live in a City with 3-4 million people or even a town with 40000 are we really going to be able to hunt you down. Or look at it like this are you so ashamed of where you live, if so why did you choose to live there?? :p

Peter M
:arrow: BRISBANE, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

...dons on hunting hat and riffle.....

[center:37gkkrzu]
product-2450220.jpg
[/center:37gkkrzu]

[center:37gkkrzu]I be huntin' wabbits....[/center:37gkkrzu]

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Zetr0

<----------------

Nothing hunts people down better than a Street Judge, with a trusty Lawgiver 2...... :twisted: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom