London - what to se and what to do?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
The easter weekend 2nd of April to monday 5th of April I'll most likely go to London with Bente and my son Daniel.

We'll do Madam Tussauds, British Museum and a musical I guess.

What else should one do there? I once visited Greenwich Maritime museum, that huge wheel thingy, the above mentioned stuff... Mouse Trap....

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
tower of London, Thames boat trip, Natural History or Science Museums (how old is your boy?)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Ah, tower of london is nice, done that. And that --- grr --- old castle, what ever it's called again :) LOL.... Is it the tower? yes I think it is... And London Tower bridge or what it's called :) My brain has faulty ram....

My boy is 11 years old, will be 12 this summer.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Cheap Attractions

Natural science and history is a must, theres also

HMS Belfast WW2 Ship in permy dock to board and have a look around, I would also suggest the Imperial War Museum too, lots of stuff to see and do... AND CHEAP.... well cheap for London lol!

to do these places properly you would need a DAY each one!... well you could do Madam T'saudes and HMS Belfast in one day... there pretty close together... I think also on route is 2001 (if its still there) thats a cool attaction (if a little expensive)

Musicals

If you are going to see a musical I would recomend the following

Miss Siagon (if there still playing in the west end.. truly epic!)
Starlight Express (a lot of fun with dancers on roller skates - great themes and music)

not sure if its still playing in the Westend, but you might be lucky and get to see Imperial Rose,

Avoid the musical (CATS) like the plauge... ugh... an abhorent afront to mankind is that musical.

I would suggest a matenee' time (about mid day) as these are much cheaper in tickets. the musicals I list are atleast 3 hours long + a 20 minute interval.

(yeah... contrary to most beliefs... I might be a little cultured lol)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
The National Science Museum is Awesome Arnljot. You'll need a full day to be able to take it all in really. (y)

Kin

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Wow, thanks for the response so far, and keep'em suggestions flowing.

I really like the National Science Museum suggestion, and Daniel really wants to see Madame Tussauds.

Zetr0s dungeon... I don't think it's in London? :D

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Try Funland at the Trocadero: http://www.funland.co.uk/

Multiple floor video game arcade. I haven't been there for a good few years now, so can't vouch for it's current set-up but from what I can gather it's still got plenty of arcade goodness going on! Dead easy to get to on the tube!

S

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I'd have a go on the London Eye and also see Madame Tussauds. Mind you other peoples suggestions are just as good I think. :)

I'd suggest google'ing them all and judging for yourself.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
You recommend drinking in a real pub, then recommend weatherspoons? :eek:

My honour, she must be satisfied!

Loads of great pubs in London. Beer isn't great in London compared to up north, but it's a good experience. Real english pubs are almost exclusively staffed by Australian bar staff ;)

Curry in east london is an experience: brick lane is a little too commercial, but it can be fun and a bit away from the madding crowd.

For sightseeing, I enjoyed the london eye... Lots of other great suggestions in this thread.

For getting around, get a map and travel overground when you can: the underground is great, but it makes the place feel a lot bigger than it really is. A lot of journeys are a lot nicer to walk...

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Off topic, but sod it.....

@ chiark

Totally agree m8y. Tetleys made with water from the North Pennines is just to die for. The water takes on the flavour of the peat beds it flows over before hitting the reservoirs. Same for Guiness & the peat Bogs in Ireland. :nod:

Btw m8, next time your having a jar or two, can you have a pint of real Tetleys for me? - You know..... the one that leaves a ring on the glass everytime you raise your elbow to tilt & syphon. :mrgreen:

Kin

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Any good beer should do that, Kinnie ;) . Tetleys is coming to the end of an era: they're moving brewing of the stuff to bloody Wolverhampton!

The Leeds Brewery is picking up and going great guns, but my favourite at the moment is possibly Copper Dragon brewery in skipton.

Ahh, I'm thirsty now. But I'll certainly raise my elbow to you at our local (which is Camera community pub of the year last year, probably only for Leeds tho)

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
I did say I don't know the pubs in London and the quality of the beer can vary greatly from pub to pub, but the beer at Weatherspoons is very good with plenty of choice and good value. Better that than one of those "you,re not from round here are you" type places or worse still "that pint will cost you 4.50" rather than 1.75 elsewhere :)

@kin the Wetherspoons near you isn't that special but I have been in some that I would happily visit again, The Lattice House in Kings Lynn is one, beaitifull old building, friendly staff with good food.

@arnljot if you were staying closer I would have loved to have taken you to some real pubs. Hope you both have a wonderfull time in London.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
@kin the Wetherspoons near you isn't that special but I have been in some that I would happily visit again, The Lattice House in Kings Lynn is one, beaitifull old building, friendly staff with good food.

You know, I don't think I've ever been in a 'Spoons pub that wasn't completely soulless and populated by chavs in shirts and their fake-tanned girlfriends. Maybe that's just the ones in Kent, we do have a lot of chavs down here... (Interesting fact: I grew up in Chatham, the birthplace of the chav. I'm eternally shamed...)

The one about 5 minutes from my house opens at 7am every day and it gets full of the same gang of rank alcoholics every day in no time, knocking back the cheap booze till closing. It staggers me where they get the money from.

The food's gash as well :-/ Cheap but gash.

Anyway, back on topic... If you fancy some culture, The Photographer's Gallery is always worth checking out, they always display the most awesome photography, in fact, the Deutsche Borse Photography Prize has just been awarded so the entrants should be exhibiting. I'm a photographer so I get a bit geeky about this :) The National Portrait Gallery is also excellent.

S

Top Bottom