Long time lurker (+quick question)

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
Hello Amibayers,
I've been lurking since a long time, I've always wanted to get my Amiga (and others) back and build myself a retrobattlestation... something always held me back (time, money, that "but-do-I-really-need-this" thing, ...) but I believe now it's the time :)

I started my adventure in computing with a ZX Spectrum 48k and ramped up to an Amiga 500 and 1200. Unfortunately I sold everything at some point and now I'm trying to get everything back. Prices on e-bay seem insanely high to me, but I could be wrong... anyway I hope to be able to find a good barebone Amiga 1200 in decent state here.

As for the question. I have a friend of a friend who has some "new old stock" Amiga 1200 motherboards, they look new to me, do you think it is worth getting one? If there's interest I could get the whole lot and give them back to the community with no additional charge.

thanks!

retrodave

Country
Wales, UK
Region
West Glamorgan
Hello Matt3o! Great to hear you're coming back to the world's greatest hobby ;)

Prices do seem high to me also, but times always change. Guess it's a tribute to the Amiga (and the insanity of those who love them! :p ) that they hold their value so well! I wouldn't want to sell my 600 or 1200 for anything! But I'm sure you'll find a good buy here :)

As to the question, if you can grab yourself a case and PSU I'd say go for the board! Even if you find a complete 1200 a spare PCB is *always* a good thing. And if your friend isn't asking a silly price for them I bet you'd have a good few takers on here and the other Amiga sites - my advice is *definitely* bring them back to the community! :D

Good luck with your search anyway, and enjoy this great scene. Sounds like you've waited long enough :)

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
Thanks retrodave! I definitely waited too long!

I just asked my friend to ask his friend how much he asks for the whole lot of amiga 1200 PCBs. I believe in the €60-80/each range, we'll see.

I'm also toying with the idea of building myself a MAME arcade cabinet :) wife seems positive about it so the first obstacle is safely passed!

retrodave

Country
Wales, UK
Region
West Glamorgan
Lol! Ah yes, MAME is cracking :) Brought back many happy memories of Sprint and Chase HQ! I even did a little bit of debugging for a Linux version once.

And definitely take the easy route into building your retro cave :)

The price on those motherboards sounds awesome by the way - I reckon it's a sure thing some members will want them! If you wanted you could upload some pics and get a few opinions, be interesting to see what revision they are.

Just be careful with those EHT voltages if you're going CRT with your MAME cab. A toasted afro and Pacman just isn't the look ;)

Good luck mate! :)

Top Bottom