Not open for further replies.

Kitman

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
UK
Region
East Midlands
Hi all, I am new here and well into retro computers and their peripherals. :)

I have a Memotech machine already, but I am looking for a replacement motherboard as mine has developed a memory fault. A 512 or 500 unit would do, not necessarily with the UK ROMs...any language will be fine.
I would also be very interested in getting hold of some peripherals for this machine too.
FDX or SDX disc units, silicon disks and even software.

I have extensive knowledge of these machines, having owned one from new back in the 80's, so if anyone needs any help with theirs, I have many resources including Advanced programming manuals and manufacturers details of the rom/graphics etc. (Anyone remember the RST10 call in assembler?)

Regards
Mike

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hi Mike! Welcome to AmiBay. I had never even heard of the Memotech but it looks like a really neat computer. I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for. Please feel free to contact any of the staff if you need help with the site.

Have a great weekend!

Heather

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Hi Mike

I do indeed remember the RST10 calls for the graphics routines programming the TMS9929 VDP.
I have had an MTX512 from new..

Can you expand on the RAM fault, is it the CPU RAM or the VDP's 16K SRAM causing the problem, what are your symptoms, a few screen shots would be handy.

I may be able to repair it for you as they use standard DRAM and SRAM IC's with no fancy ULA type logic controllers...

TC :cool:

Kitman

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
UK
Region
East Midlands
Hi TC and Heather,
Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the delay in getting back...been a bit ill.

I have since taken a closer look at the motherboard and found that it is not a memory fault at all, but a failing connection on the large blue cylindrical condenser(s)?? to the rear adjacent the composite video output socket. I have also found that the VDP board link cable to the video out connectors is dodgy as the ribbon cable is cracked about half way down,
I found this all out by holding the condensers in place and gently but firmly holding the ribbon cable at the break point. The cable is now completely broken as I snagged it whilst the case was open and it had dropped to bits completely at all points.
So if anyone has a new/spare cable/connector around that will do the job, please let me know...also, if anyone can fix my detached condenser(s) and make my old girl work again, I would be eternally grateful....and can cover all your costs too.

Until she is working again, I will have to use the (harder to access) Z80 capabilities of my less exciting Mattel Aquarius machines, ZX81s and Spectrum 48k. Or I could turn turtle and use the BBC B or one of the Atari 800XLs....they all work fine!

Regards and thanks

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom